Trailerable cruiser advice sought

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Don't discount ComPac. Among the easiest trailersailers to launch and retrieve. Comfortable and seaworthy, they are still being built new today and they have a huge, loyal and active support group.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Will, have you been on one?

I try and make a habit of not taking about boats that I have never set foot on. Makes me sound less like a sales brochure.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
A few more, somewhat random thoughts:

Another boat that comes to mind is the Marshall Sanderling -- it's a seaworthy 18 foot catboat with a very spacious cockpit and cabin. Rather pricey though. I have a friend who trailers his up to the Pacific Northwest with us every year for a two week cruise in the Salish Sea. It's a very competent boat both in light and heavy winds. It's not a particularly quick to rig though, but about average. That's not a common boat, but it IS a beautiful sailing catboat. And it's a lot faster than you might expect, compared to a lot of other 18-20 footers.

Head on over to the trailersailor forum. its a sister forum to SBO.
The Main forum is The Trailer Sailor
There are many brand-specific forums there as well.

I used to take my Potter 19 all over the west coast and to western mountain lakes. Nowadays, I trailer my 24' Corsair trimaran a couple of times per year. This year, as in years past, I've towed it up to the San Juan Islands for a two week cruise, and in a couple of weeks, I'm trailering it to Marina Del Rey and crossing over to Catalina Island for a 4 day weekend. We regularly hit 12 kts of boatspeed in 12 kts of wind. It's pretty small inside, but since it is fast (faster than most 40' monohulls), we can sail to far off destinations. It sleeps 2 adults, sails 4 or more, and drinks 12+.

I keep the Corsair in a slip most of the time, but that costs a couple of thousand dollars per year in slip fees, bottom paint, and diver services. Keeping a boat on the trailer with the mast up, and launching by ramp or crane is a lot less expensive and requires a lot less maintenance. In past years I've kept boats in in dry storage with the mast up and they don't age as fast.

BTW, most of my trailer sailor friends don't have marine heads with pumpouts for daysailing or week long cruises. Many have either PortaPotties or have switched to using "Wag Bags" (or similar products). I personally prefer to take the portable tank out or to dispose of the bag than to find a pump out station. I have switched to using a Restop commode system that's just a bucket with a nice seat and one of their disposable bags. Restop.com or briefrelief.com.

Judy B

Sep 1, 2019
ComPac Sun Cat On the Delaware
Thanks very much for the thoughtful replies.

Over the next couple of weeks, I plan to put a comparison spreadsheet together with as much relevant information as possible embeded in it. I'll share it here once it's done. The candidate list is of course very fluid and does not include some of the more recent suggestions, but looks like this right now:

Beneteau First 23s

Catalina 22

ComPac Eclipse/23 series

Hunter 26 (water ballast models)

MacGregor 26S

Rhodes 22

Seaward 25

WW Potter 19

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Very curious - what's your target budget for purchase and upgrades?

Sep 1, 2019
Very curious - what's your target budget for purchase and upgrades?
Excellent question and is one that I need some help with. And I'll apologize up front for the long-winded response that demonstrates my excellent grasp of the obvious.

Owning a boat is a leisure activity that has both non-recurring and recurring components. I see the non-recurring as the cost of acquisition (the initial purchase plus taxes/fees and survey cost) and the recurring as the cost to sail and maintain things (overall PM for a boat & trailer, fuel for the o/b, replacement/repair of rigging, sails & misc hardware, slip and launch fees, insurance, etc.) I think I can afford about $3.5 to 4k annually, for this, which based on my preliminary research, seems at least in the ballpark.

So to finally answer your question, I can handle an initial $15k outlay and can maybe stretch that to $20k. That nets out to a base target acquisition of about $11k and a stretch target of about $16k. What's difficult for me to determine is if $11k (or even $16k) is reasonable for a boat that doesn't need any serious work and includes a trailer and working o/b.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
That nets out to a base target acquisition of about $11k and a stretch target of about $16k
I'm going to break Jackdaw's rule and talk about a boat I've never been on, but one I did consider buying, myself. For the kind of money you're talking about you might be able to find a Hunter 26/260. I found they were outside my price range and heavier than I wanted to tow, but they do seem to be a nice boat. Worth at least putting on your list.
Having said that, I am starting to swing toward the "buy the smallest boat that will do what you want" camp. JudyB is right that smaller is generally easier to handle and easier to maintain. Just so long as it's not too small for what you need.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Charlie,
I am very partial to the Rhodes 22 having owned a fine example of one for 12 years. When I moved to the coast I sold and bought a Catalina 310, but I still miss my Rhodes. Had everything imagineable including boom room, fridge, autopilot, gps, etc, etc. The Seaward 26RK is a superior boat for sure but is not really trailerable and is apples vs. oranges. Most of the others mentioned are smaller. If I were looking at a trailerable boat today I would look at Hunter 260 & Catalina 250 WB because of the room and accomodations available. But the Rhodes is superior to them in every other way. Sails better, unsinkable, beautiful lines, IMF, motor mount, build quality and on and on...
bob

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Excellent question and is one that I need some help with. And I'll apologize up front for the long-winded response that demonstrates my excellent grasp of the obvious.

Owning a boat is a leisure activity that has both non-recurring and recurring components. I see the non-recurring as the cost of acquisition (the initial purchase plus taxes/fees and survey cost) and the recurring as the cost to sail and maintain things (overall PM for a boat & trailer, fuel for the o/b, replacement/repair of rigging, sails & misc hardware, slip and launch fees, insurance, etc.) I think I can afford about $3.5 to 4k annually, for this, which based on my preliminary research, seems at least in the ballpark.

So to finally answer your question, I can handle an initial $15k outlay and can maybe stretch that to $20k. That nets out to a base target acquisition of about $11k and a stretch target of about $16k. What's difficult for me to determine is if $11k (or even $16k) is reasonable for a boat that doesn't need any serious work and includes a trailer and working o/b.
I got my 235 for 10K with a trailer, they are out there. Put another 2500 in for new sails and a furler.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
What's difficult for me to determine is if $11k (or even $16k) is reasonable for a boat that doesn't need any serious work and includes a trailer and working o/b.
Two years ago we bought a 1995 Macgregor 26S with trailer, in drive-away/sail-away condition, for CDN$9,500. We spent a few days cleaning it up and made new foam for the upholstery at a cost of about $300. So CDN$9,800 to get on the water. That was about USD 7,500 at the time.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Qualified answer: pick #1 Rhodes 22 if you have the budget to get a refurbished one from General boats. The reason, it has been gone over buy the guys there, everything thing is sail ready. #2 Catalina 22 this is my pick for any other budget used boat. You will need parts with Catalina 22’s you will find the part you need, either through Catalina direct or eBay etc. these both currently have builders still in business. This is nice if you have a question concern or just need some advise

Sep 1, 2019
Qualified answer: pick #1 Rhodes 22 if you have the budget to get a refurbished one from General boats. The reason, it has been gone over buy the guys there, everything thing is sail ready. #2 Catalina 22 this is my pick for any other budget used boat. You will need parts with Catalina 22’s you will find the part you need, either through Catalina direct or eBay etc. these both currently have builders still in business. This is nice if you have a question concern or just need some advise
Thanks - the Rhodes 22 seems to be among the more highly regarded trailerables and comes up often as a recommended boat. As you indicate, budget may be an impediment. I've been in touch with GB to see if they will have a boat in the water to demo at Annapolis in October and I also asked about their certified and recycled boat programs.

On the demo, the answer was "maybe." On the sale programs, GB suggested the budget range for a recycled Rhodes is $20k to $40k, to which you'd need to add extra $'s for a trailer and O/B. For a certified boat, they suggested $10 to $20k, again with trailer & O/B not included. From what I see on the GB website, a recyled Rhodes 22 is an excellent alternative to new. Unfortunately, the cost may be too great a stretch. Certified may work however.

The point that Catalina is still is business is not only valid but one of my more important criteria. Cat 22 offerings are fairly plentiful; the boat is absolutely worth considering and looks to be among the better values for money out there.

Sep 1, 2019
Two years ago we bought a 1995 Macgregor 26S with trailer, in drive-away/sail-away condition, for CDN$9,500. We spent a few days cleaning it up and made new foam for the upholstery at a cost of about $300. So CDN$9,800 to get on the water. That was about USD 7,500 at the time.
Thanks. The 26S is on my preliminary list not least because there are a lot out there and they seem to be a good value proposition.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
One other consideration.... how well the boat actually sails.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Thanks - the Rhodes 22 seems to be among the more highly regarded trailerables and comes up often as a recommended boat. As you indicate, budget may be an impediment. I've been in touch with GB to see if they will have a boat in the water to demo at Annapolis in October and I also asked about their certified and recycled boat programs.

On the demo, the answer was "maybe." On the sale programs, GB suggested the budget range for a recycled Rhodes is $20k to $40k, to which you'd need to add extra $'s for a trailer and O/B. For a certified boat, they suggested $10 to $20k, again with trailer & O/B not included. From what I see on the GB website, a recyled Rhodes 22 is an excellent alternative to new. Unfortunately, the cost may be too great a stretch. Certified may work however.

The point that Catalina is still is business is not only valid but one of my more important criteria. Cat 22 offerings are fairly plentiful; the boat is absolutely worth considering and looks to be among the better values for money out there.
You hit the nail on the head "Budget" is everything the lower the initial budget the higher the overall cost. Finding the balance between affordability and I just wanna sail can be daunting. If I had to do it over I would spend more than I could afford " up front.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
And yes I am just going to say it because I owned one, stay away from O'Days. They are old, have deck penetrations that lead to wet structural wood which, rots and usually ends up with a mast laying in the water. They usually need lots of "TLC", and are a money pit. I can take the heat on that.
I will back you up on this one. I've wasted nearly the entire season getting mine ready to sail. I've spend nearly as much money fixing it as I did buying it. I like the boat but the end of the repairs is no where in sight. Luckily the major projects are done for now.
I found a blurb in the original instruction manual that suggests that deck fittings can be resealed with silicone caulk. That explains a lot!

This is my second boat that I've done signifcant repairs on. I can say that 90% of the parts are generic and can be replaced with similar items

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My O'Day Mariner 19 is still being made by Stuart Marine out of Rockland Maine. They also rebuild and resell used O'Day versions. I know of an marine company in Virginia that rebuilds and resells them also. All the hardware is readily available. The centerboard model sits low on the trailer and launches easily at any boat ramp a power boat can launch at. I can raise and lower the 24' mast without any help or special equipment, although a lot of owners build gin poles to help them.
While I haven't had time to get mine in the water since buying it, buy all accounts on the class website and other sources, they sail extremely well. Mine is a 2+2 model which means it has a 'V' berth and two side berths to sleep 4. There is space under the 'V' berth that takes a port-a-potty, a water tank and/or batteries.
It's a little smaller, perhaps, than what the OP has in mind, but it would work well for everything he's looking for.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Just my thought … look for a trailer sailer that will be most likely to sell. Find one that is in the best condition and is popular - a boat that is in great condition will sell most easily. Don't get anything that is very old. I would limit it to mid-90's probably. Probably something like a recent Catalina, Hunter or Beneteau. I have my doubts that this first boat will be appealing to you for long. If you are retirement age, you will probably lose your appetite for trailering a small pocket cruiser very quickly. If you enjoy sailing and anchoring, you'll soon want a comfortable boat, with headroom, a nice cockpit, and permanent slip. But get that trailering notion out of your system if you must! ;) BTW, I often envy sailors that have the ability to put their boat on a trailer and go someplace new. But I envy sailors with a larger, more comfortable boat even more!

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I sold my 1995 Rhodes 22 in 2012 and it sold in 2 weeks. I also had 2 buyers and sold it for $25K. I do not think it has to be a Catalina, Hunter or Bene for resale.

Sep 1, 2019
Just my thought … look for a trailer sailer that will be most likely to sell. Find one that is in the best condition and is popular - a boat that is in great condition will sell most easily. Don't get anything that is very old. I would limit it to mid-90's probably. Probably something like a recent Catalina, Hunter or Beneteau.
The advice regarding age seems very sound. I'm not experienced enough in the boating world to know for sure, but it's often the case that components are adversely effected by their age nearly as much as their use. This is certainly true for relatively complex transportation devices such as cars and motorcycles and somewhat less the case for simpler devices such as bicycles. Sailboats would seem to be in an in-between category. In any event, it's advice well taken.

I have my doubts that this first boat will be appealing to you for long. If you are retirement age, you will probably lose your appetite for trailering a small pocket cruiser very quickly. If you enjoy sailing and anchoring, you'll soon want a comfortable boat, with headroom, a nice cockpit, and permanent slip. But get that trailering notion out of your system if you must! ;) BTW, I often envy sailors that have the ability to put their boat on a trailer and go someplace new. But I envy sailors with a larger, more comfortable boat even more!
I am definitely of retirement age and your sentiment is one that's come up more than a few times during other discussions with experienced sailors. The reasons you suggest for consideration of a more comfortable (aka, larger) boat are certainly relevant and may merit rethinking of the original trailerable approach.

Last edited: