Trailer bunk bed carpet replacement

Sep 22, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Sag Harbor, NY
One of ends of my bunk board was damaged which I’ve had to replace. Will take the opportunity to replace the carpet of both at the same time. Just wondering which carpet people would recommend? This is for a Hunter 23.5 @Crazy Dave Condon suggestions???

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Sometimes you can find "remnants" of outdoor grade carpet at Lowes or Home Depot and the manager will give it away. Just ask if they have any "small stuff" laying around in the carpet area. I'd still go with @BigEasy 's SS staples ...

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I switched to the plastic covers I think they work much better, the boat slides right on. Another advantage is while the carpet retains moisture and keeps the bunks wet longer the plastic covers protect the wood bunks from the rain. The bunks last longer that way.

The one downside is the boat will slide right off too. Be sure it is right where you want it to come off the trailer when you unhook it.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Some friction is good. A boat that's moving around on it's trailer is no fun to tow. Even going from 1" to 2" straps can make a noticeable difference

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
So I somewhat want to disagree with a couple prior posts because I've fastened a lot of stuff to walls, ceilings and floors with a staple gun and with screws. Staple gun is faster. Been reading Crazy Dave comments for several years now and he has made it very clear that one should not depend upon friction to keep your boat on the trailer when on the road, that has mostly been verified by YouTube and recreational viewing at the ramp. Sorry I don't have pictures right now:biggrin:

• Helpful
Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Or check Sailrite for the bunk carpet that they sell. I haven't used it for bunks, but have made fender covers with it. Highly resistant to UV and moisture.