Traditional or In-Mast or Boom Furler

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
The general rule of thumb when deciding on what size boat to get is to go smaller. 45'-50' is really too big for one or even two people. I know it sounds really comfy and all but it will not seem that way when it gets hard to handle. A nice 35'-40' Hunter / Beneteau/Catalina will be a better experience I believe. Also, you will be able to sell it easier when the time comes. In mast furlers are notoriously jammy. I would recommend a traditional system with lazy jacks and quick reef system so you can shorten sail in the bay. I sail my Hunter 34 in the bay by myself all the time and I have had to shorten sail suddenly when coming from behind Angel Island into the slot. I would not want to have to handle a larger boat by myself.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I've only been on 1 mast furling boat. (bene 323) 3 or 4 times, always with the owner/skipper.

Every time we have had trouble reducing sail. owner complained that the outhaul had to be very very tight, so no slack in the main, or the RF would foul.

He was not a fan, but made due.

for those that know, What is the correct way to use the RF main? (in mast)

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Than why do so many old time sailors after sailing on
my boat say if could do it all over would get Inmast.
Ask the dealers which they sell on newer boats which they sail more,so many Inmast out on the water and 1% who have jammy because they need help showing proper furling or an old sail needs replacing.
To each his own decisions but if you never own one

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
To those who think a furler is not acceptable for offshore work, watch this interview I did of a couple who double handed their Valiant 50 around the world...

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
These two have 14 years, 80,000 miles, double handing a performance boat offshore with an In-boom furler. And you?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
How about that? The commercials for in mast furlers say that they are awesome. Who would have expected that?

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
How about that? The commercials for in mast furlers say that they are awesome. Who would have expected that?
You inferring they are lying? Or that I somehow manipulated their story?

Did you actually watch and listen to what they had to say?

And you show your ignorance by refering to them as In-mast. These two highly experienced couples are talking about In-boom furlers.

Jul 19, 2013
beneteau 393 san francisco
Exactly. In-boom furlers...whole different thing. Very expensive and they have their requirements but you can have a full roach main and full length battens which gives a powerful mainsail that actually moves the boat significantly faster than a negative roach battenless mainsail. And if the furler screws up you can just drop the main as a traditional set-up.
Really comes down to how you value performance as well as reliability.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
In conducting 8 interviews with these boom furler owners, one common theme was the ability to easily shorten sail in any direction under any condition. The Valient 50 owner talked about sailing downwind across the Pacific in very big swells. He did not want to turn up into those big swells to reef when squalls were approaching or at night.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Side bar: We often don't point up to reef our full battened main, running on low friction StrongTrack. Ease the vang and allow the leech to rise a bit then begin a process of short halyard drops and reef line tightening. With single line reefing, and all lines led to the cockpit the job is a one man job. If the breeze is really fresh, it helps to depower the headsail. The process is way less drama than heading up into a bumpy sea to reef.

Jul 19, 2013
Gunni-
I also have strong track and will try your technique.
Thanks for the tip

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
I don't want to get in between in-mast and standard rigs. Mine is in-mast and I find it great to single handle but the main only adds about 1-2 knots to my overall speed. The 150% genoa does all the work.
I did see this article which has me thinking you can get the best of both systems. I don't know what the extra cost would be?
Take a look: http://www.sail-world.com/Cruising/...=36441&SRCID=0&ntid=0&tickeruid=0&tickerCID=0

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I currently have a Selden in mast furling main but would consider in boom on the next boat. It raises and lowers like a conventional sail and if there is a problem you could flake it and tie it to the boom or pull it out completely. Just mulling it over as it would give me roach and battens.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yes, the mast head rig 150 Genoa does most of the work WHEN you are moving. You will see a big improvement in light wind tacking with the traditional full batten main sail as it maintains shape and power through the tacking of the headsail. That is when your main sail is providing all the power. Once you are moving the larger, roachier mainsail more efficiently converts flow slotting from the Genoa.

Jul 19, 2013
No offense Uncledom but for you Hunter guys especially, in-mast furlers are not a very good choice because of the radically swept back spreaders of the B&R rig. One of the advantages of this rig is you can have a really roachy mainsail because it won't hang up on any backstays on the tacks and gybes.
as has been mentioned the in-mast system is very convenient yes, but for performance...not so much

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
If your considering, why not consider a Dutchman flaking system. I sailed on a 70ft charter boat that had this system, and it worked very well. Seemed so much simpler than lazy jacks.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
No offense taken. My two bedroom condo sails pretty well. I think the B&R rig with in mast furling has more detractors than advantages if your looking for true performance BUT it is wonderful if you
Don't want to go forward
Don't want to fuss over sail storage
Don't want to "heave" that halyard line
That's why I think in boom furling might be the way to go next time. It's still going to be another two bedroom condo :wink:

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
We have in-mast furling on our boat and like it. We would want it again if shopping for another one. I think you do more sailing with them. The newer boat have vertical battens if you are in a hurry. On some boats (like ours) the boom is longer on the in-mast furled version than the slab reefed one. Still not as much sail area and not as fast as the slab reefed version but something to check when shopping for a boat.
Any sail can get jammed. We were buddy boating 30 miles off shore at 2am with a traditional, cutter rigged, full keel, blue-water sailboat that was single-handed by a very experienced licenced captain. Suddenly the wind turned up, we had large breaking waves and it was gusting to 30 kts. The spreader lights went on our buddy boat a mile ahead of us. As we approached we could see the full battens in the mainsail had become tangled in the lazyjacks. He was standing on the boom, tied to the mast trying to get the sail down, the boat was beam to the sea rolling badly from side to side. He later told us the autopilot could not hold the bow to the wind. Eventually he did get enough of it tied down and he was able to motor until the storm passed. I've never told this story before but I do recall it in my head every time someone warns others about the dangers of in-mast furling jamming. And how you won't have that worry with a slab reefed sail.
I've heard of in-sails jamming at a bad time too. One fellow had his wife slowly release his out-haul and used his spinnaker halyard to contain the sail around the mast.
Bob

Last edited:

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Roll up furling of any kind seems the best as you and your boat age.

I am not sure what "performance" means. My boat doesn't perform, but the Captains and crew do.;)
The only daily act my boat performs is "float".

You need to define your enjoyment needs and then decide.
Mine were decided for me when my son-in-law said...
"You are NOT going to get my Mom up there to reef the main!":angry:

It took me a while to understand in-mast furling, but when I realized it was really not rocket science. We can make ours PERFORM perfectly

@capta in his post #4, said it best. @seadaddler , @Ralph Johnstone , @Cat 310 #1 in GA et.al chimed in.

As most said, who like in-mast, it is the cut and condition of your main sail, that is the key, and..
NOT the mechanism.
Then the Captain and crew must understand how to use the mechanism.

Mine was so easy the first few times we used it, then jamb, not, jamb, fix, not, jamb, jamb, jamb. WedThursFriday?? Answer: Captain, Crew, sail condition, and learning.

I can only share this link, in which I tried to explain what I learned about all the rumored techniques. Trust me, there is no single easy fix, like "keep tension on the outhaul".
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...e-of-crap-furling-system.175976/#post-1255964

We are now it then Lovers side, but can understand the Haters.
Jim...

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I'm not a hater of in mast furling, I own one that is flawless. There is a side point going on which is the fact that you can't use horizontal battens or a full roach with the in mast furler but you should be able to do it with in boom furling. I'm going to look further into that type of system for the next boat, not making any changes to this one.

Last edited: