Trading No kaboom for BIG KABOOM!!! Converting stove from CNG to LPG.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I'm not surprised there seems to be no stove conversion experience. Likely this stove was factory equipped for LPG and converted to CNG, and somebody threw the LPG orifices in the trash.

I'm guessing Tasco used generic burner parts and just built the carcass for marine use. In that case, the orifices may be available and fit several stoves. Perhaps even a generic blank orifice is available that is drilled to fit the gas used? Likely I'll have to remove an orifice and search from there.

The rest of the conversion is pretty simple: LPG regulator, hose, solenoid(the one I have my work) and tanks.

The CNG marine exchange rates their standard bottles (CNG calls them bottles) as 20 hour burn yield (one 4,000 BTU burner on full lasts for 20 hours).

The 5 pound LPG steel tank holds (theoretically), 1.25 gallons of LPG. The LPG BTU's converted to CNG lingo equates to 28 hours per tank. For me, that would mean 2 LPG 5 pounders would last nearly as long as 3 CNG bottles (not to mention about $180.00 savings per season).

That's good as these days, 2 CNG tanks take us through a season.

The toughest part usually is the LPG locker. We're lucky there as the 59-year-old deck box that came with the boat will easily hold 2 5 pound tanks with space left over for other stuff. It sits above deck and has a drain hole in the bottom. It stays dry as well.

Grilled lobster 2.jpg

Plus the CNG bottle locker takes up a space about 30" X 16" X 10" below decks, which will be welcome.

There are hundreds of boats in NE that are in this predicament. This season, I have CNG enough to last with copious grilling. We'll add an LPG one burner to use the pound tanks as well.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I'm not surprised there seems to be no stove conversion experience. Likely this stove was factory equipped for LPG and converted to CNG, and somebody threw the LPG orifices in the trash.

I'm guessing Tasco used generic burner parts and just built the carcass for marine use. In that case, the orifices may be available and fit several stoves. Perhaps even a generic blank orifice is available that is drilled to fit the gas used? Likely I'll have to remove an orifice and search from there.

The rest of the conversion is pretty simple: LPG regulator, hose, solenoid(the one I have my work) and tanks.

The CNG marine exchange rates their standard bottles (CNG calls them bottles) as 20 hour burn yield (one 4,000 BTU burner on full lasts for 20 hours).

The 5 pound LPG steel tank holds (theoretically), 1.25 gallons of LPG. The LPG BTU's converted to CNG lingo equates to 28 hours per tank. For me, that would mean 2 LPG 5 pounders would last nearly as long as 3 CNG bottles (not to mention about $180.00 savings per season).

That's good as these days, 2 CNG tanks take us through a season.

The toughest part usually is the LPG locker. We're lucky there as the 59-year-old deck box that came with the boat will easily hold 2 5 pound tanks with space left over for other stuff. It sits above deck and has a drain hole in the bottom. It stays dry as well.

View attachment 181714

Plus the CNG bottle locker takes up a space about 30" X 16" X 10" below decks, which will be welcome.

There are hundreds of boats in NE that are in this predicament. This season, I have CNG enough to last with copious grilling. We'll add an LPG one burner to use the pound tanks as well.
With the deck box you can easily add a connection to the grill and say good bye to the 1 pound bottles.

And you would have to show a nicely grilled lobster. I'm on my way for dinner. ;)

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Given some of the info about very high CNG tank filling/certifying costs, perhaps you should change to a new LPG galley range. I see that Force Ten and Eno are nowadays sold by West Marine. If you have a friend with a Port Supply account, give him a call.......
:)

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
I use a 5# Manchester tank, cost $55.00 @ the hardware store. Costs around $5.00 to fill it at home, $3.50 in Maine.
I have a two burner Dickinson stove top on the boat & use an Omnia oven or Dutch Oven on it. At the end of season I'm empty.
PS: felt I had to edit this. Despite the fact it doesn't sink, CNG goes kaboom also.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I use a 5# Manchester tank, cost $55.00 @ the hardware store. Costs around $5.00 to fill it at home, $3.50 in Maine.
I have a two burner Dickinson stove top on the boat & use an Omnia oven or Dutch Oven on it. At the end of season I'm empty.
PS: felt I had to edit this. Despite the fact it doesn't sink, CNG goes kaboom also.
@Misfits is that a 5# propane tank or a 5# cng tank? I'm assuming that is a LPG (propane) tank. You are right, CNG does go kaboom but it disapates a lot easier than propane in a marine environment. Of course propane is safe with all the safety precautions in place. Same for CNG.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
@Misfits is that a 5# propane tank or a 5# cng tank? I'm assuming that is a LPG (propane) tank. You are right, CNG does go kaboom but it disapates a lot easier than propane in a marine environment. Of course propane is safe with all the safety precautions in place. Same for CNG.
It's just a regular steel white painted LP tank. Just like a 20# under a bbq grille only smaller. It's not fancy, that's for sure.

I should clarify consumption. If I use the stove top ovens all the time, I would tear through two 5# tanks in a season. I've hit the point where I like using them. Not only do you end up with really good food but it also warms the boat up in the evening.