TP or not TP?

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
ditto on the amazement of where this subject has gone this time around. Wow!!

Jul 27, 2013
Hunter 37.5 1065 Rock Hall, MD
For us, the toilet paper in the head issue is an environmental one. I have been snorkeling on reefs, and could see the toliet paper shreds on the reef. So....no TP in the head for us. Waste basket.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Ben, It Should Disintegrate

For us, the toilet paper in the head issue is an environmental one. I have been snorkeling on reefs, and could see the toliet paper shreds on the reef. So....no TP in the head for us. Waste basket.

Any residual with marine/RV/cheap TP should totally disintegrate very quickly. Sure you were not seeing paper towels/napkins/etc?

Jul 27, 2013
Hunter 37.5 1065 Rock Hall, MD
I was sure it was TP. There was a cloud of "particulate matter" swirling all over the place. I was absolutely disgusted because I was certain I snorkeled through someone's "pumpout". I was particularly upset because of the proximity of the effluent to the reef, and land. I have seen areas of toilet effluent on the chesapeake bay, too. The TP is what draws my attention to the area.

Ben

May 28, 2009
Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
When we charter in areas that allow overboard discharge, like in the BVI's (we've yet to have a boat with a holding tank), we've been told "absolutely no toilet paper in the toilet." At home on our own boat where we have a holding tank and access to pumpouts, we could certainly put it in the toilet if we wanted, be we decided it's just easier to adopt one set of rules and stick to it. So we keep a trashcan in the head for used paper. Once trainied it's one less thing to think about that way.

Regarding peeing in the sink - the rules say you can pee over the side, in fact it's not illegal to hang your bottom over the rail and defecate in the water if you want/need to. But if anything gets between you and the water, such as a coffee can, bucket, or yes, a sink and drain, then it's treated under the law the same as if you did it in a toilet and then pumped it. So it's illegal. Nobody ever said it had to make sense.

Kind of like my biggest pet peeve of all - the USCG can write me a ticket for rowing ashore in my dinghy if I don't have a lifejacket onboard, but if I jump overboard and swim ashore I don't need one.

Lyle

Jun 26, 2004
Hunter Passage 42 Pt Roberts, WA
Biggest reason they don't want you flushing TP on charter boats is so you don't plug the lines - not for environmental reasons. The lines get quite restricted in time with calcium deposits and TP will often plug the discharge hose.

lnikl

Mar 1, 2011
Hunter 38 Port Moody, BC
I have had 2 boats and used TP on both. I don't bother trying to find the marine stuff. I just buy regular 2 ply (not extra thick, extra strength stuff) and have never had a problem. If you are macerating, it will turn the TP into a colloid.
I also add some road salt (which is evaporated sea salt) for No.2. This is in part because I have an ElectroScan sewage treatment system and partly because it increases the density of the discharge, making the effluent a sinking plume, away from sight. The nutrients are then used by sea creatures. I have a basket next to the head for sanitary products.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Best "dummy" rule yet

Kind of like my biggest pet peeve of all - the USCG can write me a ticket for rowing ashore in my dinghy if I don't have a lifejacket onboard, but if I jump overboard and swim ashore I don't need one.

Very good one, Robert. Thanks. You can tow your dinghy to shore by swimming, but don't get IN IT w/o a lifejacket! Sheez...:evil:

lnikl

Mar 1, 2011
Hunter 38 Port Moody, BC
@lyleh:
The calcium salts that deposit on the pipe can be removed by flushing through some diluted (!) muriatic acid in freshwater (always add the acid to the water, not the other way around or it will spatter acid into your eyes - yes, this matters). Pour the dilute mix into the toilet and empty the bowl on dry. Let sit for 15 to 30 minutes and then chase through another bowl of freshwater and then clear it out with regular seawater flush.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
We have never bought into that "crap" about using TP either. We have had 3 boats and never had any blockage.

Maybe luck? Maybe informed guests.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Too much information

Interesting observation about the destructiveness of ammonia, uric acid and H2S. To prevent the destructive effects of urine on head hoses and tank, I have routinely peed into my head sink for the past 13 years, instead of the commode ( so does my athletic admiral :D) .
Before anyone goes uhhhh, :doh: consider....
a boat sink is simply a funnel connected to a hose that goes directly overboard ...;)
peeing overboard is legal, although discharging a holding tank with urine in it is illegal...:confused:
urine is sterile (unless you have a UTI), so discharging urine into your sink is no more "unsanitary" than putting cleaners, sour milk, or any other liquid into it. :redface:
we rinse the sink with a cup (or so) of water, after use, just as you do when you put anything else down it, and have never had a hose odor problem ( from sink or head ). ... :)
And one last thing ... no one has ever fallen overboard as a result of peeing (overboard) into their sink; so, it's a safety thing, too... :dance:
Not sure we needed to know this. Especially the comment about your "athletic admiral".

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Too much information

Interesting observation about the destructiveness of ammonia, uric acid and H2S. To prevent the destructive effects of urine on head hoses and tank, I have routinely peed into my head sink for the past 13 years, instead of the commode ( so does my athletic admiral :D) .
Before anyone goes uhhhh, :doh: consider....
a boat sink is simply a funnel connected to a hose that goes directly overboard ...;)
peeing overboard is legal, although discharging a holding tank with urine in it is illegal...:confused:
urine is sterile (unless you have a UTI), so discharging urine into your sink is no more "unsanitary" than putting cleaners, sour milk, or any other liquid into it. :redface:
we rinse the sink with a cup (or so) of water, after use, just as you do when you put anything else down it, and have never had a hose odor problem ( from sink or head ). ... :)
And one last thing ... no one has ever fallen overboard as a result of peeing (overboard) into their sink; so, it's a safety thing, too... :dance:
Not sure we needed to know this. Especially the comment about your "athletic admiral".

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
Goodness gracious !
All this over the simple act of urination.
Apparently you've never been around European sailors or
watched Italians, etc. urinate in public.
Does it bother you to see an American male peeing off the stern of his boat ? .. or just the act of writing about it ?
As far as the "athletic admiral"... "don't hate, participate " :)

Mar 19, 2014
Custom 26 Shilshole
I have used Noflex for years, first in a commercial marine application and now on my own boat. Nothing but clean water discharge and no odours. When using pump-out in 'no discharge' waters never, ever, any odours. Sweet!

rlamb

May 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Alameda
I have used Noflex for years, first in a commercial marine application and now on my own boat. Nothing but clean water discharge and no odours. When using pump-out in 'no discharge' waters never, ever, any odours. Sweet!

What is NoFlex??

Mar 19, 2014
Custom 26 Shilshole
Noflex Digestor

May I suggest that the best explanation of what Noflex Digestor is and how it works can be found on their website. I used to deal with their VP, Dave who was always helpful.
When I was working as a mariner (Chief Engineer) we used to open up our sewage media tank annually for a clean-out of the sludge build-up. It was a messy, dirty job. Turds & TP & lots of sludge. The tank had a 1,000 gal capacity.
After dosing the tank weekly with Noflex our sewage discharge met IMO regs and at the annual refit we would open up the tank to find it nice & clean. No turds, no sludge and no TP.
Hopefully Dave will get greater distribution of the Noflex in the near future so many more small boat owners can eliminate their sani system problems.

Aug 14, 2011
Hunter 430 Oriental, N.C.
Here is what I have heard about the Calcium Salts that Lee Nikl wrote about: When urine mixes with salt water, it can form a crystalline deposit. Some say that it can be combated by using Muratic acid or some say that plain vinegar works. I had to have my discharge line replaced because it had totally clogged up and couldn't be cleared.

:neutral:

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
Put the crappy TP in the head where it belongs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!