TP or not TP?

rlamb

May 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Alameda
I have a recently acquired Hunter 466 with 2 Jabasco manual heads and 20 gal holding tanks for each head. I can macerate out when offshort or pumpout. I have bareboated many boats over the years and always allowed TP use (albeit as little as possible) in the head. In discussing this topic with a couple folks I have gotten two opinions. Once says never put TP in the head and the other said it is fine but keep to a minimum. I would appreciate anyone's knowledge on the topic. I do acknowledge that putting no TP in the holding tank is obviously best but not especially desireable by users.

Aug 4, 2012
Al Masson 33ft steel cutter Grand Marais, MN Lake Superior
Most all of our sailing is done in Mexico where whether you're on a boat or land all toilet paper goes into a wast basket. In the head we use a small covered basket lined with a plastic bag, which is emptied often but not overly so. Guest on board have adapted without any problems which reduces the fear of a clogged system when out at sea. Why chance it, it's another quirk of sailing to guests.:)

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
We have used 1-ply and 2-ply interchangeably for 27 years for both types of deposits but we generally try to get the 1-ply. Any 1-ply is fine, you don't have to by the "marine" version for 10x the Wal-Mart price.

We have never had a problem except once or twice when a land-lubber decided to ball up what must have been 8-10 feet of the stuff. Most boaters know the proper guidelines and when guests come aboard I emphasize "minimal usage" along with the rule of "just waste and some TP"- no diapers, baby wipes, or other unmentionables.

When I am in the Caribbean and encounter a boat with the no TP rule, I just accept it but I really think that the issue is overstated for personal use on private boats.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
a. You can test the suitability of any paper by placing it in a bowl of water for an hour; it should disintegrate.

b. Either remove other paper products from the head (including facial tissues, which do not disintegrate, though most folks assume they do) or be VERY clear on the rules.

c. Don't be shy about giving guests some instructions. It's just poop.

d. Provide a waste basket for wipes and also zip lock bags where they are subtly visible for other items.

e. Flush more. Some folks economize on strokes.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
I'm with Rich on the TP issue. I use regular TP and flush with the rest. Nothing else besides KO and sometimes a little vegetable oil (to lubricate the pump when it squeals) goes in the head. Flush liberally and pump out often (either self when offshore or marina facility when within 3-miles limit. The KO and lots of water help disintegrate the poop and paper and the pump outs are easy.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
a. You can test the suitability of any paper by placing it in a bowl of water for an hour; it should disintegrate.

b. Either remove other paper products from the head (including facial tissues, which do not disintegrate, though most folks assume they do) or be VERY clear on the rules.

c. Don't be shy about giving guests some instructions. It's just poop.

d. Provide a waste basket for wipes and also zip lock bags where they are subtly visible for other items.

e. Flush more. Some folks economize on strokes.

All that Thinwater has so politically correctly stated plus a brief posting from Peggie Hall stating what a "load of crap" :redface: this whole TP issue is.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=835949&highlight=toilet paper

Amazing how some of these old wive's tales manage to gain so much popularity. I often wonder if some one sits around and dreams up these goofy ideas just to see how far they'll go.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Have dealt with the dire consequences of TP. I don't care how biodegradable or soft it is, when it plugs the head faster than it dissolves it turns into hard cardboard. We keep a small trash can next to the head with a deodorized plastic liner bag. That is where we want anyone on board placing the TP. Just wipe your ..... fold it and throw it in the trash can. No Captain Bligh about it; if you have a personal emergency I'll lend you a bucket.

Oct 29, 2009
Hunter 42 Passage Daytona Beach
I agree with Benny. When I got my boat it came with a sign in the guest head, If you didn't eat it first it doesn't go in the toilet, see pic. After plugging up a pump one time, I realized why it was there, never again. So rigged both heads with kitchen sprayers that I dubbed the "Butt Washers" which makes clean-up much easier, if you get my drift, see for that also. Frees us up to use any kind of paper we want. Much simpler this way and cheaper.

Attachments

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Interesting use of a sprayer. We actually use the shower spray head to help rinse the bowl and provide a positive flow of water from top to bottom.

Oct 29, 2009
Hunter 42 Passage Daytona Beach
Thanks Rich, glad I could contribute. Seemed to be the perfect solution for a myriad of things. Used this concept at home for nearly 20 years and it worked so well that using in on a boat was a no brainer.

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
have used the regular store 1-ply TP for 5 years and have never had a clog during 2 boats and 3 different types of heads, both manual and electric

I question the sanity of people "bagging" their used TP!

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
I've used TP in the head for over 45 years. My parents, then I, have always been clear about how to use the head, including using small amounts of TP ("flush, use two squares, then flush. 13 strokes. Repeat if needed."). I've never had a problem. (Really tempting fate here!!) I respect and follow when people have the no TP rule, but haven't had to use it on my boat(s). I use marine TP from West Marine.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
We have used 1-ply and 2-ply interchangeably for 27 years for both types of deposits but we generally try to get the 1-ply. Any 1-ply is fine, you don't have to by the "marine" version for 10x the Wal-Mart price.

We have never had a problem except once or twice when a land-lubber decided to ball up what must have been 8-10 feet of the stuff. Most boaters know the proper guidelines and when guests come aboard I emphasize "minimal usage" along with the rule of "just waste and some TP"- no diapers, baby wipes, or other unmentionables.

When I am in the Caribbean and encounter a boat with the no TP rule, I just accept it but I really think that the issue is overstated for personal use on private boats.

Been using Scott 1 ply in the waxed paper wrappers, stays nice and dry while stored on the boat. We have been using it for over 20 years, well actually since I was a kid, and never once had a single issue with the TP clogging.

We don't tell guests to do anything different and have never once had any issues. I think the biggest problem is that people pump too little water into the tank and empty it too infrequently... Course our holding tank is 40 gallons but we did the same with much smaller ones...

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
.... I think the biggest problem is that people pump too little water into the tank and empty it too infrequently.... Course our holding tank is 40 gallons but we did the same with much smaller ones...
Bingo.

I did a bunch of testing with chemicals vs. head pumps and hoses, and nothing was as generally destructive as urine that sits. I included some pretty aggressive chemicals that should never be used in a head. Ammonia, uric acid, and hydrogen sulfide are tough.

Yes, with more water the tank fills faster, but it also pumps out faster and accumulates fewer solids. Actually, the only tanks with significant solids where those where vegy oil had been used as a lube. Just saying.

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
Bingo.

I did a bunch of testing with chemicals vs. head pumps and hoses, and nothing was as generally destructive as urine that sits. I included some pretty aggressive chemicals that should never be used in a head. Ammonia, uric acid, and hydrogen sulfide are tough.

Yes, with more water the tank fills faster, but it also pumps out faster and accumulates fewer solids. Actually, the only tanks with significant solids where those where vegy oil had been used as a lube. Just saying.
Interesting observation about the destructiveness of ammonia, uric acid and H2S. To prevent the destructive effects of urine on head hoses and tank, I have routinely peed into my head sink for the past 13 years, instead of the commode ( so does my athletic admiral :D) .
Before anyone goes uhhhh, :doh: consider....
a boat sink is simply a funnel connected to a hose that goes directly overboard ...;)
peeing overboard is legal, although discharging a holding tank with urine in it is illegal...:confused:
urine is sterile (unless you have a UTI), so discharging urine into your sink is no more "unsanitary" than putting cleaners, sour milk, or any other liquid into it. :redface:
we rinse the sink with a cup (or so) of water, after use, just as you do when you put anything else down it, and have never had a hose odor problem ( from sink or head ). ... :)
And one last thing ... no one has ever fallen overboard as a result of peeing (overboard) into their sink; so, it's a safety thing, too... :dance: