Towing a dinghy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
Is a 10' 4" RIB to large to tow???
And how long of a painter/ bridle ???
90 LBS of hard bottom RIB is to heavey to put on the deck even using the preventer and boom.
Would anyone leave the motor on, or hang it on the stern pulpit???
The motor is a 3hp 2 stroke ( I know, way to small for the dink which will take up to a 15 hp )
Is 30 to 40 feet of floating poly adaquate for the painter???
Thanks to all who weigh-in......

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The "usual" suggestions

if you want to keep your engine, take it off the dinghy

get along painter and adjust it so it creates the least drag, your boat(s), your choice

don't tow in lousy weather

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Pulled my 8 foot inflatable for about 60 miles over the course of 5 days with a 40ft floating painter. Kept the motor on the stern pulpit. For real traveling I deflated it and tied it on deck. I would worry about towing in heavy wind and if the swells grow, I also would hate to look back and see nothing there.

We had a rainy day and it was surprising the amount of water that thing shipped, real heavy hoisting it out of the water. You may want to consider a cover if you tow full time.

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
I've been told by others that to tow weather heavy seas or not, to open the drain plug.
The thing floats regardless, and what ever water is shipped, drains out.
I'm wondering if the best thing to do is get an "air deck". So I can pull it up on the front of the boat, and not a RIB.
The other consideration is needing a larger motor, and that would mean having an external fuel tank, someting more to take up room and create a problem. A small 3hp would push an "air deck" easier because of less weight. And hang on the stern pulpit better, as well as easier to install back on the dink.

Status
Not open for further replies.