Towing a 2000 Hunter 260

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Yes Bob, I read that one as well. I just can't imagine towing 85%! I will stick with iBoats recommendation. I am not even at 75% and I definitely have a heavy load and my truck weighs over 5k. Thats why I reiterated to Dave, it is your choice, just be aware of
recommendations.
Chief

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Bob;

I sold nearly a quarter of the production line of the 260 and pulled with many vehicles. send me your phone number via forum and I will call and talk with you if you would like to as this is my area of expertise as in a sense Chief is pointing outl

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
Towed my Hunter 260 with a Chevy Avalanche which is really just a pickupish looking Suburban. Boat, trailer, engine and sundries weighed in at 5600 pounds. Avalanche was 4WD 5.6 liter with 4 speed, 3 plus OD. I believe 3.73 LOCK-UP rear. New Jersey to Oriental NC and back would not pull overdrive. Direct drive 3rd gear was it. Killed fuel milage, for what that was worth. Retrieving the boat was easy in 4 WD low range. Swapped that for a Silverado Crew cab long wheelbase. My Chevy 2500 with 6.6 diesel engine, 6 speed Allison trans and lock-up rear is a whole different ball of wax. Accelerate up hill in 6th. Fuel milage remains almost reasonable. It is my feeling that if General Motors says I can haul 12,500 pounds then that is what I bought the truck for and that's the limit I'll go by. They put a lot of resources into engineering and testing these things. They seem to rate them fairly conservatively. And yes, most of it depends on the driver. If you drive like an idiot, idiotic things will happen. Drive easy, drive gentle. Trailer tires are rated for 65 max anyway. I hold about 60 for heat reduction and fuel milage.

4.8 is not a monster engine. It will however do it if you're smart. ALWAYS tow with tow-haul mode. It changes the shift pattern and keeps the torque converter locked up more, reducing heat in the trans. If you don't have a trans cooler, INSTALL one. Heat is the transmissions enemy.

Kivalo

Jun 5, 2011
Hunter 260 Owasco Lake
Towed my 2003 260 from Syracuse NY to Chicago(Hammond In) and then up to Lake Charlevoix and then back to Syracuse all with a 2003 Escalade which is basically a yukon. Had no problems towing at all.

Damn, now I want to go back to Chitown.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The truck can handle the weight, the trick it is just keeping it stable when going down the road. Get a weight distribution hitch rated for around 6000 lbs and that will allow and adequate tongue weight while keeping the truck level. Keep the majority of the load ahead of the trailer's axles and maintain a speed not to exceed 60 MPH. Trailer brakes are a must for stopping but maintaining stability is the primary concern. In the UK folks can legally tow up to the tow's vehicle weight but they must keep their speed to 55 MPH and under. It is a game of weight, balance and speed. Ever wondered why some cars are rated to tow 2000 lbs in the US while the same vehicle in the UK is rated for 4200 lbs?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Benny;

Darn good advice about going slower. I use to tow at 70 -80 with the 260 bringing it back from Florida to my dealership when gas was much cheaper but I had the experience of towing under my belt plus the fact I sold so many of those boats. Most folks do not have that experience which is why I concur with you. Have not sailed on one lately but will do later in the fall hopefully if there is a greenie thing out there reading this which is a hint hint!

For those reading this, always when towing a boat, pretend you are on snow and Ice allowing to accelerate slowly and giving 3-4 times the braking distance. Also there was one fellow wondering why he could not go 60 up the mountain with a 260 years ago and I had to tell him politely about an incline when pulling weight which will slow him down and not to push the engine which many try to do and wear it out a lot faster. You do need to change oil often when pulling a lot.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
In the UK folks can legally tow up to the tow's vehicle weight but they must keep their speed to 55 MPH and under. It is a game of weight, balance and speed.
This is all true, and the other big part of the equation is tires. MUCH smaller diameter tyres are used on trailers in the UK and in Europe. Our First 260 has a UK-made Hayling trailer with 4 12-inch tires on dual axles. The tires are like airplane tires; each is inflated to 100psi and is rated for 2000 lbs. But the max speed is 60 and they are designed for 55mph.

Driving at that speed we towed the 6000+lb boat/trailer combo 1500 miles with a V8 Toyota Fourrunner rated for 7000 lbs and it was absolutely fine. Never got hot or hiccuped, and gave us 13.5 MPG.

We did however, get passed by EVERY vehicle on the road those two days.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
SamLust: Tow the full rated limit on a vehicle and it won't last long, plus, it is an ungodly amount of load to control! Very dangerous and NOT recommended. Chief

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The above responses are very good for lower speed. I found that in most vehicles the ones I had used to pull boats and other equipment for over 45 years, better gas mileage at 55 vs. what I did pulling at higher speeds which I do not suggest to anyone doing as you do not have the experience I have. I was using a diesel engine in my dooley as well. I use to pull anywhere from 35 to 50 small boats per year from Hunter alone not to mention the others from other manufacturers and some of the larger boats I pulled.

I think Florida only requires brakes on one axles but some states like PA requires them on both axles if total weight is generally over 3,000 pounds. In addition to hooking up, lock that handle with a bolt or lock so that the trailer tongue will not come off the hitch, cross chain and shorten by turning if chains too long, hooks on chains hooked from underneath and protruding out upward as some can and have come off hooked the other way. Plug in the electrical chord and if a problem not staying in or too long, sometimes I have tied a line so if it did come off, it would not drag on the road. Tie a line to the winch handle as a back up in case the locking mechanism on the winch should come loose and make sure the safety chain Is attached to the bow eye and if need be shorten it too by twisting it as well.

when buying a boat, also include an inspection of the trailer for tire wear and dry rot, take the hubs off the brake axle which generally on the 260 is the forward axle and inspect the brakes and insure they are working as many forget to do this on an inspection. Also check the bearings and their racers. Some states will require you with brakes to have an annual inspection. Check on your state requirements.

After 10-20 miles when first pulling, pull over and check straps and tie downs. Most important check hubs and if super hot, you have issues with the axle hubs or bearings in most cases. Fix before going any further.

Food for thought.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
Ever wondered why some cars are rated to tow 2000 lbs in the US while the same vehicle in the UK is rated for 4200 lbs?
I can't say I have ever wondered that :D. Probably because I didn't know that was the case. I assume most cars in the UK are FWD and really not suitable for towing anything.

The tow rating capacity of vehicles is based on a number of factors, like marketing (competition with other manufacturers tow ratings), probability of a lawsuit, cost of warranty repairs, probably a few others. I don't think the numbers are black and white with a simple mathematic formula indicating what is ok to tow and going above that you die :eek: Obviously from this thread different drivers have different experiences and different comfort levels. And of course it depends how far and under what conditions the towing will be done. It's really a personal decision. I have no problem exceeding my trucks capacity once in a while in towing or payload but only for a short haul in good weather.

Bob

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Won't Last Long?

I have a '96 F-150 with 225,000 on it. Drive it most every day, I routinely tow or load it to at least it's max rating.

Guess I'll have to stop doing that so I do not wear it out.

Nov 26, 2012
Rick: Thats your business, so do what you want! If you think because your truck survived that means we all can get away with it then you need to read up on the recommendations for truck loading. Good luck, Chief

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
To all,

Having been in the insurance industry before being a boat dealer, all have made good points regarding different boats but let the expert here put in my two cents worth. As pointed out, most manufacturers will give a not exceed rating for liability reasons. Most vehicles can tow but in the long run, a lot can be said if you gently accelerate and stop, tow at a reasonable speed no more than 55-60 and maintain your vehicle on a regular basis like changing the oil. Rick is proof. I wore out my vehicles but went many miles as I took care of them with engines still working 110% and knew what it could do. Heck, I saw a newer VW pull a 240. Had to take a second look at that. Driving up hill, slow down and enjoy the scenery. However, everyone has concerns. Heck one of my tow vehicles pulling up to 30 feet was an Impala and I put over 400,00 miles on that one.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
I launch from the Marina with my wife's 2010 liberty. It's rated for 5000lbs with a tow package. It's really good on the ramps and has a short wheelbase for tight turns. If you put it in 4 low I think you could pull anything up a ramp. Would I drive long distances with it, no.
For a road trip a heavy long wheelbase is the answer. For the Marina tractor works best.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I launch from the Marina with my wife's 2010 liberty. It's rated for 5000lbs with a tow package. It's really good on the ramps and has a short wheelbase for tight turns. If you put it in 4 low I think you could pull anything up a ramp. Would I drive long distances with it, no.
For a road trip a heavy long wheelbase is the answer. For the Marina tractor works best.
Max, the ramp is across the street! Or at least it was until the water level got dropped. Now it's a block and a half.

Damm I wish I would have kept the picture of the Geo Metro backed up to the Catalina trailer. :dance:

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
The ramp is not even attemptable at the moment . Everyone and his dog knows its a drought year in the west but rather than come up with a plan for flood mitigation for the 100yr flood they just took the easy way out and drop the reservoirs till the farmers complain later . It's just politics. The 26 in the lake was launched with 2 trucks and floats for the trailer . :). The north ramp is just a cliff .

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Cape Cod, Ma.
i Towed A H260 On Some Long Distance Trips (1800 Miles One Way). The Truck Was A Silverado, 4x4, 5.3 Lt, With The Trailer Towing Package, Limited Slip Diff. It Towed It Quite Well. I Always Had Lots Of Weight In The Truck Box. A Lot Depends On How Far And How Often You Will Be Towing. Florida Is Quite Flat, Good Roads. I Think You Will Be Fine Unless You Intend To Tow Across The Country.

One Tip I Will Share. Adjust The Trailer So The Bow Of The Boat Is Down Slightly. If Kept Level Wind Can Get Under The Bow And Lift All The Weight Off The Ball. Resulting In That Wiggle When A Truck Passes. By Keeping The Bow Down The Wind Acts On The Foredeck To Increase The Tongue Weigh With Higher Speeds, Wind Gusts, Truck Traffic. All Situations That Some Find Causes Instability As The Weight On The Ball Goes Down.

I Found The Surge Brake Cylinder Needed Yearly Service To Work. I Think It Was Rebuilt Each Year I Owned It.

The 260 Is A Great Boat, You Will Not Regret Buying It. Great Boat For The Keys, We Did A Florida East Coast Cruise To Keys In 2010 With Our 260, Slide Show Here, https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqf3ehnwds00qnk/florida_keys_cruise_2010_640x360.mp4?dl=0

Good Luck, Bob

Your Link Is Not Working - It Says" Moved Or Disconnected"

Feb 8, 2008
Hunter. 260 Farr 40.7 Albany-
For some time we launched and towed our 260 with a small Ford Courier Ute. Two wheel drive and a 2.6 litre petrol engine.
You will do it with ease!