Top Down Furler

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
If you are too worried about it, you could mount a Dyneema bobstay that has a reinforced pad eye on the stem that is drawn tight as you extend the pole out.
Yes, that's what I had considered that to lighten up the load on the roller bracket. Would like to avoid if that is a possibility.

Last edited:

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
The roller frame is more than up to the task. If you crafted a "U" shaped piece that mounted to the roller frame, left enough space under to feed chain through, the ring could go on top. No pole is going to be straight on, the forestay already claimed that space, and the pole can't be curved, so the aft end will be off to one side. Don't make it harder than it needs to be, :) the best way is to mock up a mount for the ring, and then see where the pole sits in the grand scheme of things.. The mockup can be cardboard. I know mine was measured 26 times and it was still off 1/2" when it was all said and done.
All good thoughts, thanks. Had not thought of a "U" bracket to mount the ring to. Was just thinking I would mount the ring to the vertical flat side of the anchor bracket. U bracket might work better. Will have to mockup and see. Lake 4+feet low. Can't get in the water for the foreseeable future so thinking deferred projects while the boat is stuck on the trailer and your post got me thinking.

Measure 26 times, cut ???

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
All good thoughts, thanks. Had not thought of a "U" bracket to mount the ring to. Was just thinking I would mount the ring to the vertical flat side of the anchor bracket. U bracket might work better. Will have to mockup and see. Lake 4+feet low. Can't get in the water for the foreseeable future so thinking deferred projects while the boat is stuck on the trailer and your post got me thinking.

Measure 26 times, cut ???
Cut a few. A lot of people stress endlessly about getting it right the first time and expect it to be perfect the first time. I look at it a little differently, these things may need to be modified before they're where I want them so doing it again is never an issue. To a point, that is. Cardboard mockups work most of the time, and if not, go back and do it again. :) The cardboard didn't detect that the U frame would hit the furler in the first go around. But it was pretty close....