Tools needed?

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 49 2 San Diego,Ca
Just bought a 2009 Hunter 49 in California unfortunately I just sold all my tools as I thought I may be buying in Florida, but as I’ve learned in Sailing and as Forest said you never know what’s you gonna get lol.
Anyway they were old, worn mismatched etc etc so happy to refresh.

the question is do Hunter’s have mostly metric or standard nuts, bolts etc
I’m guessing probably best to buy a mixed socket set then I will be covered and maybe useful for helping out cute solo sailor chicks lol.
As always comments, advice and personal anecdotes always welcome!
Scotty

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida

the question is do Hunter’s have mostly metric or standard nuts, bolts etc
Largely depends on what engine -Yanmars for example use metric sizes as do many other parts while domestic parts used in interior build tend to be Imperial. I believe Harken parts, although made in the U.S. use metric as well

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
I have a 1/4” Husky socket set with both, up to 9/16 and 12mm. Other than a deep 17mm for large specialty jobs (e.g., pulling the transmission/throttle lever) that set has proven itself to be all I need.
Btw, those cute solo sailor chicks? Now own their tools. In both senses of the verb, lol.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
The engine in that boat is probably a Yanmar 4JH4E (4JH4-HTE ??) , so you'll need metric as well as Imperial tools.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
While I think then metric suggestion is very good, you sound like owner number 2, or maybe 3. Who knows what previous owners have done to here. I would get a mixed bag. An open/closed wrench set. And there will be specialty tools yet imagined.

Oh the fun. Good luck.

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
So I have a Hunter 2009 41DS, and as noted earlier - primarily SAE but definitely need some metric for the Yanmar and the Selden mast stuff.
If starting from scratch, I would just buy one of those automotive sets that includes both.
Just go cheap on the automative base kit and then get better quality for other items.

For the Yanmar, if I recall correctly there are some sockets that are needed in deep well version. You may also want to consider picking up a long 3/8" ratchet handle to go with it as probably what is in the automotive toolkit may not be enough.

For Selden there are a few specialty star-type (I believe that also have a tiny hole in the center) you will need. I ended up buying this, then after I did a full greasing on the jib roller furling identified and bought the two I needed which I keep in the regular tool bag with this little kit safely stored away as spares/emergencies, or if I ever come across something unusual elsewhere.

One tool, along with some assorted extensions (including flexible and the extensions that will take a driver bit not a socket) I have found this extremely handy for cramped spaces attached as a pic - looked on Amazon but they seem to have a picture of a USB-C computer adapter for it right now even with the right info descriptions and reviews. Anyway - this little puppy takes a 1/4" socket/extender on one side, and a typically driver bit on the other. It has been invaluable from time to time in cramped spaces and feels good in the hands even though it is tiny. Even with this, picking up a 'shorty' Phillips and regular screwdriver to complement the auto-style kit is advisable.

Another thing often overlooked is nut drivers. It so much easier to deal hose clamps with a nut driver than a screw driver. Makes the work less frustrating which even after the effort of going and finding the nut driver, speeds it up and you will get hose clamp tensions more uniform.

Then there is the other stuff - for rope cutting, I just have a pretty hefty soldering iron and got some cutter blades for it. A round piece of plywood that I cut and wrap with kitchen tinfoil to cut against. Works fine for the little bit of line cutting/seizing I do and way better than scissors and a knife. Again - for me anyway, having the work being less frustrating is a big part of my justification for tools. If I was a full-time rigger, definitely would want something better.

Then there is 12-volt DC equipment - connectors, crimper tool, shrink wrap, heat gun, multi-meter; all of which and many other things can be picked up later on as needed.

Oh - oil filter straps. Useful for oil filters, fuel filters, seawater intake strainer, etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
Anyway - so my process has been to go with kits of things and as I discovered what I needed regularly I would buy another one of that and keep it in the regular 'quick toolkit' bag while the kits stay 100% complete and stored away. If I drop something overboard I know I can always go to the appropriate kit box and grab another one.

I would go cheap on the kits, then quality on the items you realize you are going to be using frequently. Luckily for me those kits and power tools and many other items all came from the house so the initial investment was very little.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Who knows what previous owners have done
:plus:
I was left a great combination set by the Previous owner.
In addition he "spared" most every part need for the Engine and Genset.

I even found some "swimming noddles" two years later, for his grandkids.

I was amaze at the hidden spots on my sailboat.
Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
If I drop something overboard I know I can always go to the appropriate kit box and grab another one.
This one had me smiling. We all want to be so perfect and protect our tools. It is a fact of life. If you work on a boat you will test the swimming ability of your tools. They will fail and sink to the bottom. The bottom of the sea or the bottom of the bilge. All is the same. They are lost and need replacement. Replacement with less than "lifetime" tools is a cost savings that you can turn into more cruising time.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I also found you need two sets of wrenches (both sae and metric) because you often run into bolts with nuts that are the same size and there's no room to get a socket on either of them.

Oct 22, 2014
You will never drop them because they know they can't escape!
I had issues trying to train the sockets and bits. Any suggestions. I casually placed the 1/2" socket on the deck. Next thing I knew it leaped into the water, shouting "See Ya, I'm Out of here!"

• Ha

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Great suggestions above. When I bought my current boat I left my old tools on the old boat. I bought a Dewalt socket set and full screwdriver set on sale for the new boat. Another thing I bought was a ratchet spanner set, open spanner on one end ratchet on the other, which I have found to be very handy. For around $200 you get new tools, well worth it. A other items like adjustable wrenches, a few sizes of pliers and, of course, vice grips.
Other things I find handy are:
  • Heat gun for shrinking heat shrink tubes and for those solder sleeve wire connectors
  • 20V cordless drill and complete set of bits plus extras in the smaller sizes because I am always breaking them
  • Wire stripper
  • Crimp tool for both insulated and non-insulated wire crimps
  • Battery cable crimp tool
  • If you have PEX plumbing, an appropriate crimp tool
  • long pick up tool with a light on the end - for getting stuff out of the bilge :facepalm:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I always keep my trusty metric adjustable wrench handy
View attachment 193089
I have a special one that works on both metric and imperial! Actually, it has both metric and imperial measures on it so I also use it as a caliper for measuring size of small items, great for rigging diameter! This isn't mine but shows the measurements.