Too much draft?

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
Making plans for the "next" chapter; bought the 15' day sailor, loved it; the next year bought the 22' little cruiser, out sailing all weekend every weekend, loved it. Now seriously considering a live-aboard, and looking at a 36' Mariner. Question for those who know: 5' draft too deep for the waters around Naples, Fla?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
... Question for those who know: 5' draft too deep for the waters around Naples, Fla?
Doable but if you are looking why not consider boats in the 4' to 4 1/2' foot? It would just make your life easier. I kind of got tunnel vision looking for a larger boat and even though I'm very happy with what we got I found out later that probably a number of other boats would of worked also.

For that area I'd be looking at boats with 4 1/2 or less myself, but that is just what we did. One that I'd consider is the 34' Catalina with a ton of room below and 3' 10" draft with the wing keel and lots of them out there, but still wouldn't limit the search to just that boat,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Mostly all over Florida a 5' draft will significantly limit your options and opportunities. It is doable but you may need to start playing real close attention to the tide tables to determine your departure and arrival times. You will be looking a lot closer to your depth gauge and doing some praying. It will not be "if you run aground but when" so make sure you enroll in tow boat insurance. If you love sailing all weekend and every weekend this might not be the boat for you.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
We've been full time cruising for 3 years including one run thru SW Fla and 3 winters thru E Fl with our 5'7" actual measured draft and have not grounded yet. Also have run the rest of the sast coast to NE 3 years plus 1 trip to the Abacos without trouble including all of the ICW.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
We draft 5' and sail the east coast of Florida, Keys, Bahamas. It has been a bit limiting in a few places. I don't think 6" would have made much difference. We have gone through cuts in a reef with our depth sounder showing 5'.
Every boat is a compromise, with less draft it will probably not sail as well. Be cautious, some boats with less draft might have a large wing at the bottom of the keel. While this provides less draft it can make it very difficult to get off a grounding in Florida's sandy bottom. Sometimes you want to ground intentionally. While waiting for a bridge opening you can just move off the channel grounding the boat while waiting if you know you can just back up and continue on your way. A big wing on the bottom and you will need a pull to get off. We have a small bulb and little winglets on our keel. So far it has worked well in the sand, even have been able to plow through some muck on a couple of occasions. The keel profile is as important as the draft.
The other factor you might consider is air draft. There are lots of bridges in Florida. Most of the new ones are 65', so should not be a problem for most of us. The Julie Tuttle in Miami is only 56. They say someone transposed the specs. Our air draft is 55'3". We had our anchor light knocked off going under her :eek:

Have a great time shopping for a boat, one of the joys in life, Bob

Attachments

Jan 6, 2010
Like Gettinthere,

I draw 5'-7" w/filled tanks & people onboard. I've sailed inside & out from The Panhandle to Miami over the years. This has taken me in & out of the more shallower channels but for the most part, most are passable. I'm not crazy going to Tarpon Springs.

The ICW runs well from Clearwater to Charlotte Harbor. South of here, there is one area called The Miserable Mile with tricky currents & skinny water. Going south, I generally pop out from South Seas resort marina thru a small pass on the north tip of Captiva Island. Have not used this in several years so check with them first. I've never gone to Naples, but the local guys can help you with specifics.

I do like what Sumner says about a wing keel. Steadier & less roll in seas than a fin keel. Some like a modified keel with less draft. You can run aground anywhere man, a smaller draft only means you go aground in shallower water. It's important to stay between the poles. that's all. On the left coast of Florida, personally, I wouldn't more than a 5'-6" draft.

CR

Jun 5, 2014
Capital Yacths Newport MKIII 30 Punta Gorda, Fl
We live in Punta Gorda, Fl just north of Ft. Myers. I have never been to Naples but here we sail the Charlotte Harbor. They have a saying here. "If you have never hit bottom in Charlotte Harbor, then you have not sailed Charlotte Harbor." The Harbor is deep enough once you get out to it. The hard part can be getting out of some of the home canals and the creeks that empty out to the Harbor. Our boat has a 4' draft and today we have a race at 1:30pm. With the winter North winds it blows the water out of the canals. We have our fingers crossed that the tide rises enough today so we can get out for our race. Summertime the tide is allot higher and not as much of a problem. But then in the summer there is not as much good wind. Catch 22.
Here is a chart you can see of the Naples area. Again the big issue (at least) in Punta Gorda is the canal depths and creeks emptying out to the harbor. You might want to check with someone who actually lives in Naples or whatever community you think you might buy a house in. My relator here was pretty knowledgeable of the area and water ways. http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11429.shtml

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
One thing to consider is the difference in passing through an area once or twice and living there. I've been to Naples and....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/FL-spring-2011/FL-Spring-11-6.html

.... the inland waterway on to Marco and ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/FL-spring-2011/FL-Spring-11-8.html

...from Marco to Goodland (that stretch 3 times) and on into the 10,000 Islands and Everglades city. We did it in the Mac and I'd do all of that in a boat with 4 foot of draft but not anything with more except on the outside from Naples to Marco and the outside from Marco to Indian Key Pass into Everglades City, but not into Everglades City.

We loved the 10,000 Islands and I'll be going back to explore that area a lot more. If you just want to go out at Naples and sail the Gulf no problem with the draft you choose but if you want to also really explore some of the areas I mentioned above and up into Charlotte Harbor a boat with less draft is going to be a lot less stressful.

Moving the Endeavour with 4'-6" we grounded near the Miserable Mile but were able to get off without a tow. I'll bet with 5' we would of needed a tow.

Just a few things to consider, you still need to pick the boat that fits your goals best,

Sumner

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
... Now seriously considering a live-aboard....... around Naples, Fla?
Just a question.....why Naples vs. say the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area if you are going to be 'live-aboard'?

Since you are only going to be sailing in the Gulf just outside of Naples you are kind of stuck if the conditions aren't good. Up north if you feel the conditions aren't good in the Gulf you have all of Charlotte Harbor to sail in and can still go out if you want.

We went in at Naples only once and then south to Marco on the Inland Waterway and I never saw so many pontoon boats, other small boat traffic and ....

....tourist boats and it wasn't even a weekend. From the cut in and then south to Marco it was busy....

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
One thing to consider is the difference in passing through an area once or twice and living there. I've been to Naples and.... http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/FL-spring-2011/FL-Spring-11-6.html .... the inland waterway on to Marco and .... http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/FL-spring-2011/FL-Spring-11-8.html ...from Marco to Goodland (that stretch 3 times) and on into the 10,000 Islands and Everglades city. We did it in the Mac and I'd do all of that in a boat with 4 foot of draft but not anything with more except on the outside from Naples to Marco and the outside from Marco to Indian Key Pass into Everglades City, but not into Everglades City. We loved the 10,000 Islands and I'll be going back to explore that area a lot more. If you just want to go out at Naples and sail the Gulf no problem with the draft you choose but if you want to also really explore some of the areas I mentioned above and up into Charlotte Harbor a boat with less draft is going to be a lot less stressful. Moving the Endeavour with 4'-6" we grounded near the Miserable Mile but were able to get off without a tow. I'll bet with 5' we would of needed a tow. Just a few things to consider, you still need to pick the boat that fits your goals best, Sumner
We make these inside passages regularly when conditions in the Gulf are bad. As Sumner says 4 feet gives you many more options.

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
I live in Naples off Naples Bay. I have a Catalina 34 wing which draws a reported 4' 3 " . No problem here if you stay in marked channels. Most all canals are dredged to a min of 5 feet mean low. Passes get shoaled at times but then get dredged. Many large local boats traverse the bay daily. I am also a Realtor so deal with boat draft issues here often.

Nov 10, 2013
Hunter 22 North Hero VT
Just a question.....why Naples vs. say the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area if you are going to be 'live-aboard'?

Since you are only going to be sailing in the Gulf just outside of Naples you are kind of stuck if the conditions aren't good. Up north if you feel the conditions aren't good in the Gulf you have all of Charlotte Harbor to sail in and can still go out if you want.

We went in at Naples only once and then south to Marco on the Inland Waterway and I never saw so many pontoon boats, other small boat traffic and ....

....tourist boats and it wasn't even a weekend. From the cut in and then south to Marco it was busy....

Sumner

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]
The answer to "why Naples?" Is my 91 years young dad (from whom I inherited the sailing bug)...only been there once, and not wedded to that particular location. Reconsidering the Mariner; looking at a Tartan 34-shoal keel/centerboard; draws 3'11", board up. Thanks to all of you for posting your thoughts. Very helpful!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Don't ignore a Tartan 37-2 with the centerboard. You can cross the Gulf and anchor in 5' of water. Built like tanks but the fleet is aging. It's a shoal keel boat, drawing a little over 4' with the board up, Sparkman & Stephens design which is sea kindly yet sails very well, and even goes upwind very nicely the board down. It can hold it's own in a PHRF fleet. Inside accommodations are 70's-ish but I know one that's being lived aboard now.

Aug 22, 2014
Hunter 40 Corpus Christi
I used to keep the Hunter 40 in Sarasota and would make passages to the keys several times a year. I never stopped in Naples but usually stopped at Marco Island for an over night before heading to the keys.

Never had a grounding with the 6' fin keel except during an overnight at Everglades City when we went as far as we could inland and then the tide went out. A bottle of scotch and 10 hours later it re-floated just fine and off we went the next morning when the tide came in again. Interesting thing about the scotch, you get used to the heel angle in no time at all, even the ladies saw it as fun.

Dec 13, 2010
Hake 32RK Red Bank
My previous boats were centerboards with variable draft....but I wanted more, more control and a better handling boat and more thin water---I bought a Hake 32RK....it is 34ft overall and with the electric raising keel drafts about 2 feet with the vertically retracting keel all the way up. On the way through the Bahamas a year ago, I could get up all the way to the beach in most places. With the keel down, the lead ballast bulb is at about 7 feet with great righting moment and good pointing to weather. A Florida built boat-check them out at SeawardYachts.com

Jun 5, 2014
Capital Yacths Newport MKIII 30 Punta Gorda, Fl
My previous boats were centerboards with variable draft....but I wanted more, more control and a better handling boat and more thin water---I bought a Hake 32RK....it is 34ft overall and with the electric raising keel drafts about 2 feet with the vertically retracting keel all the way up. On the way through the Bahamas a year ago, I could get up all the way to the beach in most places. With the keel down, the lead ballast bulb is at about 7 feet with great righting moment and good pointing to weather. A Florida built boat-check them out at SeawardYachts.com
I have seen the Seaward boats. Really cool. Is she fast? I guess yall enjoy it? Any Pros/cons? I know one pro is the 20" draft when the keel is all the way up.

Thanks Mike

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Shallow draft allows you to get stuck closer to the shore.