Too much draft?

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
The answer to "why Naples?" Will be evident if you come here. naples is a very very nice, clean, well run little town. If you drive here you can tell when you enter Naples. Streets cleaner, landscaping, better. No blight, Having lived here 13 years and boated here a lot of it i can say it is second to none. Blue water, pretty clear for the USA! Nice white beaches, normally soft sailing in the gulf. Yeas its crowded in the winter but that is because it is so nice. So, you will not be sorry picking here. ( please no angry people who want to compare their location, this is just how it is)

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
The answer to "why Naples?" Will be evident if you come here. naples is a very very nice, clean, well run little town. If you drive here you can tell when you enter Naples. Streets cleaner, landscaping, better. No blight, Having lived here 13 years and boated here a lot of it i can say it is second to none. Blue water, pretty clear for the USA! Nice white beaches, normally soft sailing in the gulf. Yeas its crowded in the winter but that is because it is so nice. So, you will not be sorry picking here. ( please no angry people who want to compare their location, this is just how it is)
I've only been there by car twice and it is all of the above so if you are looking for a home in a nice location, want to sail the Gulf more and can afford the difference in price of a house there or further north Naples might be a good choice.

I mainly asked since the OP was planning on being a live-aboard and felt the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area might offer a wider range of sailing opportunities and maybe at a lower cost. Since finding out his father is in Naples that might be the deciding factor since it does involve more driving if he was further north.

If I wanted to move to a sailing location to live year around (I don't) then the west coast of Florida would be my choice and If I wasn't going to live-aboard and in my financial situation I'd pick the Port Charlotte area and buy inland a little ways and find someone who wanted to rent out dock space on a canal, which is very doable,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
At one time Naples was one of the most affluent cities in the country. more millionaires per capita, more exotic cars, etc...

I've only visited, eaten and played a little golf there. but I spent a lot of time around marco in the 70's. -we often had to go to the 'big city' for supplies....

I tend to agree with Sumner, Charlotte harbor would be the more likely place for your 'typical' (read cheap) live-aboard.