Tohatsu 9.8

JBird

May 31, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Palm harbor
I have a Tohatsu 9.8hp outboard that shifts fine from neutral to forward and neutral to reverse but going from reverse to neutral it takes about two seconds to get back into neutral. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
are you doing it at idle, some OBs have an overspeed detector.

JBird

May 31, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Palm harbor
Thanks for the reply Ron. Good to hear that it’s not just mine.

Sep 17, 2012
Morgan 383 Fairhaven, NY
I'm not familiar specifically with Tohatsu's. But most small O/B's shift by using a mechanical linkage. To my way of thinking, it should come out of reverse immediately as the lever is moved to the middle neutral position. If you have a cable shifter controlling movement, it may not be adjusted correctly. If you're moving a lever on the engine something is not right (IMHO).
Has the lower unit been off to replace the impeller recently? It may be that the locking mechanism on the shift rod is slipping.
Item 16&17.

1597154634635.png

JBird

May 31, 2020
Hunter 25.5 Palm harbor
The lower unit hasn’t been off lately although did change the prop recently. I will definitely check that locking mechanism to see if it’s slipping or moving at all. Does it need to be in a certain location or just make sure it’s tightened down?

Sep 17, 2012
Morgan 383 Fairhaven, NY
I'd suggest a call to a Tohatsu dlr. And ask if that delay shift characteristic is typical.

Usually the joining clamp is visible when the lower unit is unbolted, and dropped an inch or two (which is the travel of the shift lever and rod). If its sliding you should see witness marks on one of the shafts. The shift lever won't be straight up and down when in neutral.
As I said, I've had outboards apart but never a tohatsu.