Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I've notice a few things when people post. Such as:

35* 45' 32.33" when giving lat/long

or

"Well, that's my 2 cents worth"

or

"Be sure you use 50 ohm antenna cable..."

So, here are a few tips you might use next time.

For indicating degrees, hold your alt key down and enter from the numeric key pad, 0176. Make sure you have all four number.

alt+0176 = ° so now you do this:
35° 45' 32.33" when giving lat/long

Gonna add 2¢ to the conversation? They type:

alt+0162 = ¢

Then finally, 50Ω would look better than 50 ohms. Key stroke for this:

alt+234 = Ω (notice only three numbers)

So there you have it. Granted not a great deal of info, but if you look at an ASCII table, you will find all sorts of cool things!

Have fun.

Sep 12, 2005
Oday 25 Escondido, CA
Right on BrianD. People in my industry are always amazed that I have the 'degree' memorized in MS. Although, just now it wouldn't accept. I wonder if that is a product of the 'quick reply'. Anyway, write 4 years worth of Biology term papers and character map is your best buddy! Cheers, BnB

Feb 17, 2006
Yeah, it doesn't work in the quick reply field. Have to use the Go Advance.

Just as I need to use these characters also in my field of Satellite Communications. Always dealing with degrees and ohms. I just like using the cent symbol because it is cool looking. :D

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
Nice work, Brian! Is there a relationship between the extended ASCII code for each symbol and the three- or four-digit number that you enter while holding down the Alt key, or is it just something you have to know?

Peter

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Brian, I will have to dig out my ASCII tables

However, since I am now using a MacBookPro, when I follow your directions and type (while holding Alt) alt+0162 I get º¡§™.
I bet there is a simple answer to this conundrum.
Just my $.02.

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
Caleb:

Google "ASCII code" and step back quick. I agree with you in that its probably something simple. I just don't know what it is.....

Peter

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Ok tried it in the Advance mode.

:doh:Tried it again in the advanced screen and still doesn't work. I'm telling you, you've screwed my whole evening. :bang:
Frank

I have a Toshiba, I swear its retribution for Hiroshima.

Feb 17, 2006
I have three different PC I work from. Work PC is a Gateway. Home is a Compac, and boat is a Dell. All three use WinXP and function the same in regards to the alt+ key stroke.

If you have MS Word, you can use Insert|Symbol and a window will open with all the symbols. Find the ° symbol and select it. Then down at the bottom of the Symbol window you will see

DEGREE SIGN Character code: from:

In the "from", selcet ASCCI (Decimal) and you will see the key stroke used. Sometimes you have to precede the number with a zero. You will have to test.

Now, on a Mac, I don't know what the process is. Maybe Word for Mac has proper sequence. My son has a Mac, I might ask him.

Oh... and try using the number keys at the top of the keyboard. Maybe your keyboard is setup differently.

Good luck

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Macs can access most of the extended ASCII characters via the option key, without using a keycode sequence. The degree symbol "˚" is an "option-k", the cent symbol, "¢" is an "option-4", and so on. Most of the option key combinations make some sort of sense... option-4 instead of shift-4 gives you cents instead of dollars. Option-k for the degree symbol is easy to remember—k for kelvin. :)

They also use shift-option for additional characters as well. :) For instance, to get a right-hand double quote is shift-option-[, while the left-hand double quote is option-[. Single quotes are option-] and shift-option-]...etc.

Don't remember what the Ohm symbol is off hand.

Feb 17, 2006
Thanks, Sailingdog. Interesting that option-k for degrees when kelvin is not degrees, but kelvin. :D

Oct 22, 2008
Brian-

Glad to help... been using Macs since 1984... :) still have a Mac II sitting in my closet with an original LaserWriter.

Feb 17, 2006
So... try atl+248 for ° and see if that works instead of alt+0176.

elle

Sep 13, 1996
Rhodes 22 Northern Neck of Virginia
Mac Users:

Click on the American flag icon (upper right, by the date/time) that indicates your keyboard layout. Select 'keyboard viewer." Activate these in preferences if they are not displayed.

Use the displayed keyboard plus the various options of esc or shift key to access the characters 'hidden' behind each letter.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2008
Elle-

That only works if you've got the international options turned on. :)

Most people don't have alternate language input enabled, so won't see the American Flag icon. :) If you want to use it, go into the System Preferences and go to the International panel and choose the Input Menu pane, and click on any foreign language and also select "Show Input Menu in Menu Bar".

BTW, the "Keyboard Viewer" option doesn't appear in Leopard.