Times Up?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I think the time will come when I can no longer easily pull the strings on my big boat, and something will change.
Agree. Even though I work out regularly, my muscle tone is changing. Just returned from a week on the water. Had some great sail time and a rendezvous with a boating buddy in Watmough Bay on the Southeast side of Lopez Island. But...my body feels a bit weary after such a work out.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Why John, you old hippie you ;)

I'm sidelined with lymphoma at the moment. Curable, and with a good prognosis, but definitely sidelined.

I was cruising along doing great, and then I hit 65. Parts started to fall off.

Your experience reminds me of the Byrds tune.

To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)​
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)​
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven​

A time to be born, a time to die​
A time to plant, a time to reap​
A time to kill, a time to heal​
A time to laugh, a time to weep​
A time to build up, a time to break down​
A time to dance, a time to mourn​
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together​

Dec 25, 2000
Love Watmough Bite. Who can object to free Moorage bouys.
Hi Les, a very nice place, indeed. When I arrived the one (county I think) was vacant. I've used it before, but when I got a close look at it, the mooring was upside down with the anchor chain exposed. That chain was worn almost completely through. The other two mooring balls are private, I'm guessing, because they look nothing like any government buoy. So I decided to drop my anchor in seven feet of water at low tide. Got a very good set and settled in for the night.

Dec 25, 2000
The cliff summit hike was especially nice with a wonderful panorama of Bellingham Channel. Wrote about it in the next thread, "Spring Cruise 2021".

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Your experience reminds me of the Byrds tune.

A time to be born, a time to die​
A time to plant, a time to reap​
A time to kill, a time to heal​
A time to laugh, a time to weep​
A time to build up, a time to break down​
A time to dance, a time to mourn​
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together​
I think that the Byrds may have derived those lyrics from Ecclesiastes 3.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Hi Les, a very nice place, indeed. When I arrived the one (county I think) was vacant. I've used it before, but when I got a close look at it, the mooring was upside down with the anchor chain exposed. That chain was worn almost completely through. The other two mooring balls are private, I'm guessing, because they look nothing like any government buoy. So I decided to drop my anchor in seven feet of water at low tide. Got a very good set and settled in for the night.
One private the rest are BLM bouys the county has plans to add 2 more (who knows when). Lots of eel grass and fish spawning so anchoring is discouraged.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sure.... The Good Book has inspired many, KG.

I like...
"12.. I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live."​

For you "60 somethings"... May you enjoy your youth and prepare for what is to come with good spirit and positive / Happy thoughts / as you wake each morning.

May you sail often and explore great adventures.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
For you "60 somethings"... May you enjoy your youth and prepare for what is to come with good spirit and positive / Happy thoughts / as you wake each morning.
Let’s not go overboard! :huh: Just less than two weeks ago I was racing with an octogenarian who was cranking the sheet winches right along with the rest of us.:dancing:

Dec 25, 2000
One private the rest are BLM bouys
Hi Les, which one is private; is it marked? The two ball shaped buoys were occupied when I got there. The pancake shaped one, located closest to the head of the bay east side, was upside down and the anchoring chain almost corroded through.

Dec 25, 2000
Next time in I'll use one of the round buoys and when someone complains, that will tell me which one is private. Usually the owner will mark it as, "PRIV", or some such identification. Some even have a phone number to call and request permission.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
This past summer has shown us that our time for long distance cruising is done. Time to downsize to a little less work and stay closer to home. To that end we have listed Sun Gypsy and hope that she finds a new home and provides new adventures for someone else.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I am 74 I race every Wednesday night as crew on a Beneteau 423. I don't run or really exercise regularly but am now playing a pickle ball twice a week. That said I do think about "when do I quit". Then I remember a fellow racer here in marina del rey who, at 92, races his Farr 39. So the answer is. It is not one of age. My measure is that of safety. I think when I get to the point where I feel I cannot handle unexpected issues of weather or failed gear it will be time to become a passenger. BTW I own a Hunter 466

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I can handle almost anything if I move at a reasonable pace but we all know that sometimes you have to move quickly. When moving quickly is painful it becomes a safety issue.

Dec 25, 2000
To that end we have listed Sun Gypsy and hope that she finds a new home and provides new adventures for someone else.
Bummer, Michael. :sosad: Hope she sells well. Sorry to see you make the move, but suspect I'm not far behind. Was so looking forward to a rendezvous with you and others some day. Suppose it is still in the cards, but in a different way. :wahwah:

Dec 25, 2000
When was the last time you had those butterflies in the stomach feeling? Well I had one of those last week when I began thinking about retiring from my second career, which began in 2005 driving kids to school. The thought of taking off for a three or four month cruise into the northern parts of the Pacific Northwest sure caused quite a flutter. As it is, we get two months off during the summer and that works great most of the time. But four months, maybe even five?

No spring chicken here by a long shot. Time marches on with my mind racing towards another extended cruise into British Columbia while I can handle it physically. A boating buddy just returned from a planned four month Broughton Island cruise that he had to cut short due to a family medical issue. So wanted to join him, but driving school bus was an unavoidable commitment.

That flutter last week began a process to start thinking and planning for that moment when I cut the school bus driving ground tackle and instead set sail for northern waters. Unsure about this coming season whether I'll be ready, but the following looking pretty certain. So difficult to separate from a job that brings much joy in my life, but the flutter has sparked a desire more difficult to suppress.

Now it becomes mostly mental and time to prepare. Tick, tock, tick tock.