Times Up?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
If it’s a dream Terry don’t leave it to late. Sometimes the end of sailing comes before we are truly ready for it. This past summer showed me that I am not as spry as I once was to the point of being less safe than I would like.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Sometimes the end of sailing comes before we are truly ready for it.
Agree Michael. That remains top of mind as the ravages of age creep into my body. Who knows, in a couple of years that bridge may arrive and I will be forced to cross it. But until then...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser moored EVERETT WA
You can always test the waters by cruising around Vancouver Isle with us in June 2022.
We would benefit from your experience.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
A right coaster, it is easier sailing if you stay inland. I sail the Hudson River when the sun shines and the winds are gentle. At 74 I am still somewhat spry. It just takes me a minute to muster the energy to get up and do something. I sail a Capri 22 set up for racing which I do not do. The boat balances well and allows me the extra time it takes me to get to that snarled line or such. I can usually count on the winds blowing like snot an hour into my sail or not blowing at all. If I see weather developing in the mountains to the west ( the ones that Rip Van Winkle heard the bowling) I run like H**l.
Every Ski season I ask myself if I can really do this. After first run, the answer has always been yes! Skiing maintains body strength and balance, good things when sailing a smallish day sailer. Missed last season because of Covid. The most masked up people are skiers. Even on a chair there is no real contact pathways unless the skier is intent on spreading their wealth.
Back to the question at hand, 80 seems to be a limit to single handling. Not crewing, I hope.