Times Up?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Bummer. Two down, two to go. Our original AMEE flotilla (Bob-Mariposa, John-Friehet, Colin-Wassail, Terry-Belle-Vie) another skipper has retired from sailing,; Colin just sold his boat and his 82nd birthday November 9. That leaves just Bob and I, he being 18 months older than Colin. Bob does not sail much these days, mostly around the islands once in awhile.

We've had many great cruises over the years, most of them I've published on YouTube. But new friendships are blossoming , that once we all get through this COVID-19 rough spot, perhaps new horizons will emerge. A few more sailing years here, one can only hope. This year was supposed to be around Vancouver Island, but alas has been postponed to another year.

High hopes for next season. Still plan on a few more cruises this year. Always especially quiet anchorages with some great winds. Another Haley's cheeseburger, a must.
I met up with the clock guy over the last week. He told me Colin had sold his boat...

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Boat is still in the water and temperatures in the high 60's. I'll sail a couple of more times this season. Global warming has been good for sailing here in NY. As a day sailor I pick my days, no surprises (mostly).

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Will be 74 in a few weeks and do not plan to stop sailing until I can't get into the boat. I always solo so I am beginning to have difficulty landing the boat in a wind. If it gets away from me getting it back has been beyond my strength. I cry help and someone always responds. I now use a mid cleat line to pull the boat into the dock and keep it there until I tie up. I sometimes miss the cleat and crash into the dock
(at 1 knt) and sometimes do not tie up quickly enough to keep the boat up against the dock. I'm on the north side of the finger and a south wind gives me grief. Lately a very large boat has tied up north of me and causes the south wing to lift above my main windage helping some. The winds in the Hudson are predominantly out of the NW, so should be no problem. This year we have had more south winds than I ever experienced in the last 15 years.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Stick in there Terry. We had one attempt. We can do better. I won’t replace your best buddies but we can make it fun if we get the chance to join you.
Absolutely a must. Let's make it real soon. Need to fix the fuel issue with the Genset first. Should be soon, very soon.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I now use a mid cleat line to pull the boat into the dock
That has been a real benefit to me and solo sailing.
Regarding your docking and sometimes missing the cleat, I have seen some boat owners putting a big fender on the dock at the end of the slip. They crash into the fender rather than the dock.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2000
Reminds me of driving one of those carnival bumper cars. Just bang your way around the arena. Might make for a nice boat add on for those who have docking challenges. Of course I've never had any hard landings. He, he. Maybe a docking fiasco or two or...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Terry it is part the speed and angle you use to approach thee dock. Just landed in the marina on my boat with me grandson aboard. We went out into the sound from Everett this morning in 9 knots or of the SE. The wind started to change direction and by the time we were headed towards the ferries to watch them go across, the wind reversed direction our of the NE coming down the Saratoga Passage at 15-20 with gusts.
So turned around and headed back to the marina. Wind pushed me right into the slip. My mid cleat line and a bit of reverse thrust let me snuggle up to the pier removing the wind from the equation.

Now time to take the sails off the boat for winter storage in the last bit of sunshine for a week or so.

Dec 25, 2000
Here I go over thinking again. Last time I hauled the boat to redo the bottom and replace the stuffing box packing was in 2018 when I was 76. Just love the thought of laying over the engine for two to three hours trying to dig out the old material and replace. Gave up on the last of three rings; just would not come out. Oh well, the old stuff was actually in pretty good condition.

Usually do this every seven years, so the next scheduled haul out, I'll be ....83. I could hire someone to do it, but when someone has such difficulty even squeezing a nickel out of their arse, I'm wondering how painful it is going to be. And yes, I've tried just about every tool imaginable, but also wondering whether it would be easier to disconnect the shaft coupling and slide the stuffing box off the shaft so I can repack standing up rather than hanging over the engine for hours on end.

After the next haul out, I'll be ....90 by the time that one comes due. Sheesh. That damn clock will just not stop for anything or anyone. Hopefully, by then someone will develop a vaccine designed to stop the aging process and life will go on in perpetuity. Yeh, that will happen. Hmm, wonder how many 90 year olds are out there still sailing? Wishful thinking?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Just a couple of years behind you Terry but I know what you mean about time just flying by. Mom keeps telling me it goes faster as we get older ( she’s 97). Time to practice being Tom Sawyer and training some nimble young grandchildren for all those hard to get at places.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
No grand kids yet for me (no married kids yet either). I’m going to have to hang it up soon also. Wife won’t let me go out alone anymore. Luck she is retiring next week so can go with me more. Loosing feeling in legs and hands, & can’t move half my toes anymore. Getting old sucks, but beats the alternative.

Dec 25, 2000
I always enter an anchorage with a purpose in mind looking for the best spot, which takes time looking at chart information, weather conditions, instrument status and other boats. The admiral will start in by saying, that looks like a good spot over there. Let's go over there, which prompts a reply from the crew, not so good. Well what about over there, or over there? Nope. That brings a response from the Admiral, "you just never listen to me".

I love the Admiral to pieces, but when she is on board, the old apple cart gets kind of shaky and unstable. Eventually we drop and settle in for the night. Same goes for wind conditions when things get a bit dicey. Stowing the sails is top priority for the Admiral, but the crew explains that the boat will remain more stable in choppy seas as opposed to stowing. The Admiral has rank over the crew, so they will relent at times.

Otherwise, we have a great time together on the boat, rare at times these days because of her sister's health condition. Mobility is also a condition that limits what she can do, but no matter, the crew does quite well solo, so rest easy dear and enjoy the time out.

Dec 25, 2000
Grr. Two other fellow boaters have their boats up for sale; Jim and Shelly Armstrong, and Cory and Tony Kern. What to do, oh what to do.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Grr. Two other fellow boaters have their boats up for sale; Jim and Shelly Armstrong, and Cory and Tony Kern. What to do, oh what to do.
Just use your boat as much as you can now. That point will come to all of us with time.

Dec 25, 2000
Will do, Michael. Looking forward to meeting you some day, also cruising with John and Les, and others. Helps keep the spirit strong, eh?

Dec 25, 2000
Attended our first open Skipper's night this past Wednesday in Lombardi's at the Everett marina. It has been a long dry spell with most all pubs closed to indoor seating. Good to see many of the regulars and some who have been absent for years.

No hard agenda, just some time to catch up with each other's lives, cruising plans, recent experiences while sipping a pint or two. Try to avoid contentious topics about politics, sex and religion.

Someday my chair will become empty as have others with the passing of time. But until then, ...

Oct 22, 2014
Your experience reminds me of the Byrds tune.

To Everything (Turn, Turn, Turn)​
There is a season (Turn, Turn, Turn)​
And a time to every purpose, under Heaven​

A time to be born, a time to die​
A time to plant, a time to reap​
A time to kill, a time to heal​
A time to laugh, a time to weep​
A time to build up, a time to break down​
A time to dance, a time to mourn​
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together​

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Your experience reminds me of the Byrds tune.

A time to be born, a time to die​
A time to plant, a time to reap​
A time to kill, a time to heal​
A time to laugh, a time to weep​
A time to build up, a time to break down​
A time to dance, a time to mourn​
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together​
The most appropriate verse for nowadays is
A time for embracing and a time for not embracing.
Hopefully the time for embracing will return soon.

Nov 17, 2018
Wauquiez Pretorien Washington
I'm knocking on 67, and think about the same thing. I see myself slowing down, my grips getting a little weaker, and I find myself losing my balance more often. It doesn't help that I ripped a bicep( I call it a unicep now) in 2017 and broke my collar bone a couple years ago. I had 63 years of original equipment, then all of a sudden, things were going wrong. It's been a heavy mental toll, more so than the physical part. I single hand and every time I'm on my boat, it's going through my mind. I think the time will come when I can no longer easily pull the strings on my big boat, and something will change. I honestly feel like I've aged more in the last four years than the previous 63. It's just sooner, way sooner, than I thought it would be.