Times Up?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
If it’s a dream Terry don’t leave it to late. Sometimes the end of sailing comes before we are truly ready for it. This past summer showed me that I am not as spry as I once was to the point of being less safe than I would like.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Sometimes the end of sailing comes before we are truly ready for it.
Agree Michael. That remains top of mind as the ravages of age creep into my body. Who knows, in a couple of years that bridge may arrive and I will be forced to cross it. But until then...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You can always test the waters by cruising around Vancouver Isle with us in June 2022.
We would benefit from your experience.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
A right coaster, it is easier sailing if you stay inland. I sail the Hudson River when the sun shines and the winds are gentle. At 74 I am still somewhat spry. It just takes me a minute to muster the energy to get up and do something. I sail a Capri 22 set up for racing which I do not do. The boat balances well and allows me the extra time it takes me to get to that snarled line or such. I can usually count on the winds blowing like snot an hour into my sail or not blowing at all. If I see weather developing in the mountains to the west ( the ones that Rip Van Winkle heard the bowling) I run like H**l.
Every Ski season I ask myself if I can really do this. After first run, the answer has always been yes! Skiing maintains body strength and balance, good things when sailing a smallish day sailer. Missed last season because of Covid. The most masked up people are skiers. Even on a chair there is no real contact pathways unless the skier is intent on spreading their wealth.
Back to the question at hand, 80 seems to be a limit to single handling. Not crewing, I hope.

Dec 25, 2000
It's been a few years since I started this thread when I was much, very much younger :D. A discussion in another forum section got us old fogies over thinking matters about sailing, let alone solo. Spirit here remains strong as does my health. No morbidity issues to deal with, still joyfully and actively working driving school bus with an updated plan to retire when I turn 92. That means potentially sailing for another twelve years. Not saying I will. Much will happen between now and then, so must let my spirit remain flexible.

A new cruising season is fast approaching and some invitations have been extended to join the admiral and I for a cruise north into British Columbia. We had talked about going to Alaska, but likely not that far with the limited time available. Perhaps another day. A month or so on the water sounds very appealing, which allows time to include another cruise to Discovery Island, Gulf Island and even the Broughton Island groups.

Muscle strength has diminished, even with regular exercise, but still strong enough to hoist and trim the sails. Moving about the boat while underway seems doable, but less spry. At some point my body will tell me enough with this. Unsure when that will happen, and hopefully, no serious incident will become the cause. And if it does, you will find me with a big smile on my face. Take that Father Time; tic toc, tic toc.

Jan 5, 2017
Sounds like you have the summer season all planned out, Terry. Maybe get a chance for a face to face on your way North. Alaska does seem a little ambitious in a one month time frame but I have circumvented Vancouver Island in that time.
We are getting ready for a haul out and bottom job next week so we should be ready for the good weather when it gets here.

Dec 25, 2000
We are getting ready for a haul out and bottom job next week so we should be ready for the good weather when it gets here.
Are you up for joining our little flotilla this season? Always a plus to sail with other boaters. We're never in any hurry to get to our next anchorage a few miles away to begin skipper's night, an every night fun fest. The most difficult question that comes up during these celebrations is whether to stay another day or not. Often we end up staying, especially with so many spectacular BC anchorages.

Jan 5, 2017
Are you up for joining our little flotilla this season?
We are always open for a meetup Terry. So far we have no plans written in stone. A little slow to answer that. Didn’t take my I-pad to town with me. We are home again after bottom cleaning, two coats of paint, new zincs and a survey. All is right with our world.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
At least you get to go out on your own terms.One minute I was a normal active & healthy 52 year old next thing I know I am in the hospital24/7 for 3+ months. I lost my business and the left side of my body. I was forced to sell the boat my antique car that was a standard, most of the tools in my woodshop etc., etc..Be happy you get to go out on your terms not via a major health issue..I would give anything to be able to sail again but the Universe had different plans...

Jan 5, 2017
..I would give anything to be able to sail again
Rodd, if we could help you as much as you’ve helped us over the years you’d be sailing tomorrow. Unfortunately all I can do is say “thank you”

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus:
+1 what Michael says. You have been a wonder person to share as much as you have.
Why I submit the occasional donation as a token of gratitude and encouragement. Keep the faith Rodd.
I love the ideas you continue to share.

Dave

Forum Admin, Gen II
Staff member
Feb 1, 2023
At least you get to go out on your own terms.One minute I was a normal active & healthy 52 year old next thing I know I am in the hospital24/7 for 3+ months. I lost my business and the left side of my body. I was forced to sell the boat my antique car that was a standard, most of the tools in my woodshop etc., etc..Be happy you get to go out on your terms not via a major health issue..I would give anything to be able to sail again but the Universe had different plans...
Rodd, on behalf of all of us here on SBO and the other forums you participate in thank you for all you have done and shared. We first crossed paths 13 years ago when you were hanging out on the Sabre list and my S30 fell over while on the hard. You have been an inspiration since.

After painstakingly explaining to me (over many emails) how an alternator worked and charged batteries, I promised you a beer and a lobster. This summer when we finally sail to Maine I intend to make good on that offer.

Our lives are made richer and more satisfying when we have purpose. While the circumstances of your life have changed, your sense of purpose continues on, it will make your life rich in spite of the adversity you now face. We are all the beneficiaries from your sense of purpose, for this we are deeply thankful. Sail on sailor, if not on the seas, you will be in our hearts and soul.

Dec 25, 2000
Be happy you get to go out on your terms
Thank you Rodd for all you've done for us with your expertise. Life is so short, all we can do is live each day to the fullest, take what comes in stride and always have a purpose. My day will come, too. Sooner than later, I'm sure. Chin up!

Dec 25, 2000
HEALTH ALERT! Pay attention to your health, especially as you age. So, in 2000 after turning 57, I had my first colonoscopy, which resulted in the removal of two small polyps. No big deal. Dr. told me to redo in ten years. Eighteen years later I had my second colonoscopy, which resulted in the removal of two small and one medium sized polyps. Dr. told me to schedule my next one in 2025. Okay. So far so good.

In 2018 Tom B., from Atlanta, GA, joined our small flotilla for a two month cruise north into British Columbia. At that time he lived aboard a Dana 24; a sweet boat. I can remember during our cruise discussing the importance of having a colonoscopy periodically to ward off that silent killer; colon cancer.

I just found out that Tom has stage two colon cancer. Had a long talk with him yesterday about his condition, which looks very good. The tumor has not penetrated his bowel wall, which is a good sign. He's been taking chemo therapy to kill the tumor before removal. He'll have to wear a bag for awhile until his colon heals from the tumor removal surgery. But all in all, he is in very good spirits, which helps, and a favorable prognosis.

He and his wife were returning from their British Columbia cruise last season when he began experiencing abdominal cramping and lots of gas. While he has avoided doctors in the past, he decided to have a check up at which time they discovered the tumor. He regrets not having a colonoscopy back when we discussed it in 2018. Polyps, untreated or removed, will grow and become quite serious and life threatening.

For you old fogies like me, periodic medical exams, including a colonoscopy and a PSA test, can catch those silent killers before they become life threatening. During our discussion yesterday, I cautioned Tom to be sure and get a PSA test right away to avoid becoming a statistic.

I realize you do not know him like I do, but life lost early hurts those who love you. That 2018 cruise with Tom was very special. You can view it here:

Last edited: