Tiller rise C27?

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
The current tiller on our Catalina 27, which appears to be original, has about a 5 inch drop. I'm wondering about going to a higher positioning, since this arrangement feels a little low and also gets into people's legs quite a bit. I'm looking for others' experience, whether they have gone for a higher tiller and if so, how much higher.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Can you post a picture? Since you don't know if it's factory........ that's the first thing to determine. Is it the tiller's shape or the tiller "head" that is the issue. The tiller itself should clear your knees when sitting on the bench. That's probably going to be at least 6 inches above the bench. Anyway, take a picture of the tiller and the tiller head and post it.
Here's what the factory pieces look like. The replacements are really expensive from Catalina Direct (the factory may be cheaper) $195 for wooden tiller, $850 for tiller head casting!!!! This fact may have driven the previous owner to come up with his own solution. Just sayin'. I looked on this website's parts list and they sell the tiller for $139.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I assumed that you could pivot the tiller up and down from the head. Is yours fixed in a stationary position?

Greg

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
It pivots, but when I'm resting my hand on it I want it higher. Plus, with the cockpit as narrow as it is, a few degrees of weather helm and it's in someone's knees if I don't raise it. And it's not really designed to be sailed continuously in the raised position because it'll have a good deal of lateral play.

It does occur to me that the tiller cap is worn, after 45 years it may not longer hold the tiller as high as it once did. But that's a lot more expensive than just getting a tiller with a little less drop.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
That's not a Cat 27 tiller. It looks more like a C 30. Too much curve. The C27 is straighter at the base. Get some cardboard to make templates and start designing. Do a search for "small boat tillers" for ideas and dimensions.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
When I got my latest boat the tiller angled down too, which was awkward just as you said. My straight tiller rests on the flat top of the rudder. I shimmed it up with some scrap until I liked it and then glued a wedge to the tiller. Now it angles slightly up.