Tiller extention

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I really like my Forespar Twist Lock extension: http://www.forespar.com/products/tiller-extension-twist-lock.shtml

It allows me to sit more forward when sailing solo, and also I can lean back with my forearms on top of the coaming, and adjust the length so that I can steer with just the ball behind my index and middle finger. I can't quite sit up at the back of the house, but I can definitely sit farther forward and limit stern squatting.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
MM, I'm not sure of the length of mine, though I suspect it's only the 30". I don't think it is as long as 36". I am planning to visit the boat tonight, I will try to get a measurement. I believe the cockpit size of the 192 and 222 is the same, whereas the cabin of the 192 has been shortened from that of the 222, so this means my size extension would work for your 222. I also like the TFP quick release system which mounts a plate in the tiller, and then the extension can be inserted and removed quickly and easily. I keep the extension removed when I am not sailing. Also, there's less there for when I lash the tiller to the backstay to open up the cockpit for lounging on the hook.

While you are at it, order yourself the tiller clip. I do not have one, but I want one. There are times when it would be nice to just clip the extension to the tiller to get it out of the way temporarily. I had one once, and I don't know where it went. Probably threw it out before I got this boat that came with the Forespar :(

The webpage I linked to is kinda confusing. I am guessing that item 104016 TILLER,TFP-S,RACE is the shorter version that includes the TFP quick release.

Looks like our store here at Sailboatowners sells them too: http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?14648 and the prices look very attractive.

Note that I do not use the Lockbox. This is a receptacle that is cut into the side of the coaming, and allows the ball end of the Forespar extension to drop into the box, and set the angle of the tiller for hands free course holding. I know many people who have them and love them, but I think they seem too fiddly. I prefer my Wave Front Marine Tiller Clutch, which I find to be very easy to engage and adjust minutely. www.wavefrontmarine.com

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Tiller

Thank You again. I also have just received some Nylon snap-in thrust bearings that I hope can be put into the holes for the tiller pins. (Im still a new sailor and don't have the lingo down). The rudder has always seemed sloppy and bushings should help. Now to check to see if there's enough "meat" on the brackets to ream . email me if interested. mmehne47@hotmail.com

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Tiller extender 'sticks' were designed for dinghies and very small keelboats. Their hand position can get tiring on larger boats. If I were you, I'd also look at handle-based systems like the Spinlock. If you like to steer with your back mostly flat against the rail, these are MUCH more comfortable to hold.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
You are talking about the "pintles" which are mounted to the rudder headstock, and which fit into the "gudgeons" which are mounted to the transom.

The gudgeons on my 192 are a bit weemied out (that's a technical term, natch! :D) and I wish they had some bushings as well. Replacing gudgeons on these boats requires installing an access port on the transom in the cockpit, something I am loathe to do for aesthetic reasons. Also, they are not inexpensive from www.drmarine.com Let me know how your bushing project works out.

If you do get nylon bushings to work, I would order several sets of extras, because I would not expect them to last overlong in the sun, though a couple 3-5 years would probably not be bad.

Thank You again. I also have just received some Nylon snap-in thrust bearings that I hope can be put into the holes for the tiller pins. (Im still a new sailor and don't have the lingo down). The rudder has always seemed sloppy and bushings should help. Now to check to see if there's enough "meat" on the brackets to ream . email me if interested. mmehne47@hotmail.com

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Here is a pic of my tiller extension in use.

I'm sitting back against the coaming, with my elbows resting on top of the coaming. Just the tips of my index finger and middle finger are gripping the rubber ball on the end of the extension. I'm terribly relaxed, just steering by twitching my fingers. It's a hard life, really :D I'm not sitting all the way up to the cabin, there's enough room someone could sit between me and the cabin. I measured about my forearm length when the extension is compacted, which is about 18". I suppose if it was a bit longer, it would be enough for me to sit up at the house. Sometimes I sit forward, knees pointed forward, with my tiller hand behind, and my outboard arm draped over the coaming, leaning outboard so I can kinda see outside the house. That's kinda comfy, too, and usually for lighter wind days. Like leaning on the arm of the sofa. For the deep reach/run back. I was sitting on the bridge deck kinda facing aft, turned forward, and could still reach the extension. Keepin' her stern up! ;)

This was Tuesday night, when the wind was good, but before the humidity and afternoon storms started up for the week. I really needed some wind therapy after moving over the weekend. Still feel like I've moved into some hoarder's house, what with all the piles of boxes to navigate. :eek: :confused: Doesn't feel like my own house yet, but at least I emptied 4 or 5 boxes last night, and hooked up the TV so I could watch a movie with a friend! :D

Attachments

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
While I will defer to Jackdaw on just about anything, I have to say on the 192 and probably the 222, a Spinlock handle type system is probably overkill. I have also used the Forespar style on a Precision 18 and Precision 21.

On my 15' Harpoon, I had a Harken stick type that looks like a golf club. I used to sail that hiking harder with toe straps, and I would hold the stick Laser style with my thumb underneath pointed at me, and my finger wrapped over the top, and the mainsheet held by my thumb. I would not use such an extension or such a grip technique for a non-hiking boat, e.g. that Harken extension ain't goin' on the O'day. Maybe if I were to get a Force 5 like I want, or if someone were to give me a Laser :D:D:D

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
While I will defer to Jackdaw on just about anything, I have to say on the 192 and probably the 222, a Spinlock handle type system is probably overkill. I have also used the Forespar style on a Precision 18 and Precision 21.

On my 15' Harpoon, I had a Harken stick type that looks like a golf club. I used to sail that hiking harder with toe straps, and I would hold the stick Laser style with my thumb underneath pointed at me, and my finger wrapped over the top, and the mainsheet held by my thumb. I would not use such an extension or such a grip technique for a non-hiking boat, e.g. that Harken extension ain't goin' on the O'day. Maybe if I were to get a Force 5 like I want, or if someone were to give me a Laser :D:D:D
Thank you both. Good stuff and what a plus that you would help. I went thru 6-8 systems (home made & commercial) before I stumbled on the Tiller Cultch. (love it!) Brian: I put the bushings in yesterday. Had to ream the holes to 9/16" to fit . It was hard to do as I wasn't sure of fit or durability and once reamed there's no going back. I could end up with more slop. Finally decided to go for it as the orig. holes are not round. Prob. a stamped out then bent to shape part. The bushings fit and Rudder fits and feels great. As to durability- doesn't look like its overkill but should standup. Failure while sailing would be of little concern and replacement cheap and easy. If it totally fails I think there's enough "meat" left to ream larger and go with an even beefier bushing. I left the packing list with numbers (cat. #s changed) at the shop but will get them to you soon.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI

For sure, these things are matters of taste. I'd have no issue with someone going either way. On bigger boat (ours is 24.5 feet LOA) any maybe a 22 I like the hand position of the grip. Like below. Compared to your picture I'd go this way, but thats just us. And boat design also factors.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
Your both rite. Maybe one for port and the other style for starboard. The Nylon snap-in thrust bearings are #6126K47 from McMaster-Carr 630-600-3600. You need four. Two for each gudgeon. Be sure to measure your set-up. My pintles are .48 ish and the gudgeon holes are .53 ish. I reamed them to 9/16 (.56) to snap in the bushings. If I were you I'd wait a couple of weeks and I'll let you know if they stand up.