Tiller Extension

Azure

Mar 5, 2017
Catalina 275 Sport 1 San Francisco
I'm thinking about putting 2nd reefing points in between the 1st and 2nd battens, with a view to transferring the lines up before hoisting on days I know I'm going to need it. Off the coast in a lumpy sea state I've found the boat behaves quite well. With almost zero rocker at the bow coupled with full and flat sections aft pitching is kept considerably down, also the chord length of that keel is nicely that little bit tender and forgiving. But the lack of a second reefing option does leave the running rigging a bit limiting for that type of sailing (which I love).

More often than not my crew consists of a 7 year old kid, so I've never had the kite up in more than about 12 knots of breeze. With a slightly high centre of gravity (at least relative to a lot of modern deeper draft bulb keel sprit boats) I can imagine it quickly becoming a bit of handful in a blow.

Suffice to say he's also not much in the way of rail meet.

... but I digress.

Azure

Mar 5, 2017
I had the sailmaker put a second reef in may sail. I lifted my clutches and added a fourth clutch. I ordered two sheaves from Selden for the reef line. I don't normally leave the line on the sail, but if there is a chance I might need it, I rig it before going out. The boat handles very well with the second reef. It also makes for a pleasant sail on a windy day more comfortable for inexperienced guests.

Azure

Mar 5, 2017
Yes, like you say it was no big thing. It also mirrors the starboard side now. That job was miniscule compared to the upgrades you have performed. Thanks again to you and Roo for keeping this site informative.

Jul 24, 2018
Catalina 275 36 Sydney Harbour
Azure, I'm keen to understand how adding a second reefing line can most easily and/or discreetly be retro-fitted to the existing moving plate assembly. Having an option to reef further down would widen the weather window I can (comfortably) sail in or as you say scare fewer inexperienced guests away from coming out a second time (!)

I've yet to source a copy of the Selden manual to see the moving plate assembly details within the C275 boom... or did you add sheaves for the second line onto the boom externally?

Last edited:

Azure

Mar 5, 2017
I didn't think the single line reefing would work with that deep a reef. I installed two Selden 504-362 sheaves in the open slots, fore and aft. Attached a block at the mast base and added the fourth clutch. Fished the line through the boom. I leave a knot at the end instead of leaving it on the sail and only rig it up if I think I will need it. Otherwise that is a lot of line swinging around when you drop your sail. The sailmaker didn't know which side my Cunningham was on so he installed straps on either side. I rigged up a line with two reefing hooks to attach under the gooseneck and use that or the Cunningham.

Mar 20, 2012
Hunter 28.5 leach lake Walker mn.
I put a 4th clutch on the port side. it fit perfectly. I don't know if all the boats have the clutches in the same spots. There is an aluminum plate under the fiberglass, I drilled and tapped the wholes and it worked great.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
...If the apparent wind goes forward of beam in 13-18 knots, it's like watch out and you may end up with the tiller all the way windward trying to save a luff-up and flogging of the asymm. In that case, not only am I yanking on the tiller extension, I also have five toes or my heal over the tiller pulling with my feet as well....
A multihull sailor will tell you that you are waiting too long to bear off in the puffs. If we wait that long, the lee bow digs in and thing get really interesting. Instead, as soon as you feel it starting to load up, smoothly start bearing away.It will also be faster. And once the wind is more than slightly forward of the beam, you are probably faster with the genoa. It may not feel like it, but the knot meter will tell you.

But the other thing that is happening is that you are almost certainly stalling the rudder. In a straight line, anytime the angle is more than 20 degrees, you are actually stalled. That is how knockdowns happen.

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
I thought I would give an update. As stated, I broke two of the rubber universals with the stock EJB tiller. While fine for a dingy, it was not meant for the weather helm of a 27' boat. I went with both the 900 EA and 1200 EJ and I'm happy with both tillers. Ordered from England and got a good price even with shipping to the USA. I use the 900 EA when it is windy and I expect to have weather helm and use the 1200 EJ otherwise. I meant to install last fall but when I went to the boat to drill the required1/2" hole, I noticed that the screw holes would not align because the EJB mount used slotted holes, which resulted in the holes being too close together for the EA/EJ mount. This was a fortunate event because given more time, I realized that I needed to relocate the mounting location if I wanted to use the tiller extension clip. I ended up about 13/16" further aft, which gives me less than 1/16" gap between the tiller and tiller extension when stored in the clip. I believe I could have gotten away with 11/16", but because of the 1/2" tiller plug, it's not easy getting an accurate measurement if the bend of the tiller is going to interfere with using the clip. The clip was positioned for the EA 900, which also works for the EJ 1200.

Additionally, since I had the tiller in the basement, I removed some of the foam from around the 1/2" hole I had drilled into the tiller (all the way to the underside) and filled the entire hole with glass clippings and resin. To save a little resin I inserted a 7/16 dowel and inserted that where the universal plug would go. Afterwards, I redrilled my 1/2" hole. This should keep the universal solidly in place and prevent possible rotation of the universal.

I did notice that I'm getting some failures with the tiller clearcoat. My thought is maybe the tiller is made with epoxy and the final clearcoat(s) is polyester. Clearly (couldn't help myself), something went wrong in the manufacturing of the tiller.

One last thing, I used a sanding drum/band with my dremel to modify the rubber stop on the tiller universal so I can use the clip. Here are pictures of the modification (can also see the filled in EJB screw hole) and the EA tiller ext. in its clip:

P1030945.JPG

P1030950.JPG