Throw-way Outboards

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
I wonder if anyone else has this problem: I have a well maintained albeit old Hunter 25 which I rarely ever have any problems with (I always maintain her before launch every year). However, I've gone through three outboard motors in the last ten years. I have had kids in college now for the last 6 years so I can't go out and get a $4000.00 new carefree motor so I buy old ones, a Johnson, Evinrude and now a Yamaha which were all running well when I bought them. I've made sure they are service with new water pumps, thermostat, lower joint oil... Two weeks ago, I came up to my mooring, motor working well, pumping water I idled it low let it sit for a minute then turned it off and kept it in the water for an hour to cool. I came back last week and now it's seized (I think). Its a two stroke and had oil in it so not sure what happened. Now I'm stuck for the season and am figuring out how to get it back to dock for the winter. Any anecdotes or opinions appreciated!

Mark

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Pull the spark plug and check for gasoline in the cylinder?

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
When you try to start it does it turn at all? Pull the plugs and look in the cylinders with a flashlight to see if there is gas or any parts loose in them. If all looks good try to pull start it with the plugs out, if it still won't move put a wrench on the but on top of the flywheel and try getting it to move-you have more leverage this way than pulling. It should move without much force-its a small 2 stroke. Not moving? Spray PB blaster or (even better) Kroil in the cylinders and let it sit over night. This will free them up unless you have a catastrophic failure below them.
This will at least let you know if you have a seized engine or not.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I came back last week and now it's seized (I think).
Remove a spark plug and try pulling the starter. If it really seized, it won't turn over. If it turns over, put the plug back and try to start it.

have had kids in college now for the last 6 years so I can't go out and get a $4000.00 new carefree motor so I buy old ones, a Johnson, Evinrude and now a Yamaha which were all running well when I bought them. I
How big a motor do you have? A 6 HP long shaft should push you along fairly well. Defender has one for way less than $4K,
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|1794283|1794302&id=4430829
They have a 9.8 hp for less than $2K:
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|1794283|1794302&id=3367564

Still with kids in college, that is a big chunk of change. In the long run, though, getting a new engine might be cheaper.

Now I'm stuck for the season and am figuring out how to get it back to dock for the winter.
Sail it?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
First, you have posted this thread twice. I responded to the other thread.

I came back last week and now it's seized (I think).
Remove a spark plug and try pulling the starter. If it really seized, it won't turn over. If it turns over, put the plug back and try to start it.

I have had kids in college now for the last 6 years so I can't go out and get a $4000.00 new carefree motor so I buy old ones, a Johnson, Evinrude and now a Yamaha which were all running well when I bought them.
How big a motor do you have? A 6 HP long shaft should push you along fairly well. Defender has one for way less than $4K,
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|1794283|1794302&id=4430829
They have a 9.8 hp for less than $2K:
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|1794283|1794302&id=3367564

Still with kids in college, that is a big chunk of change. In the long run, though, getting a new engine might be cheaper.

Now I'm stuck for the season and am figuring out how to get it back to dock for the winter.
Sail it?

May 4, 2018
Catalina 25 SV Colorado
How do you know it's seized? Is the motor in gear and won't pull start? Put the gear in neutral. I've had that happen before.

As for motor's - I'm not sure buying old motors is saving any money in the long run. I used to be exactly like you, but recently I have changed my plans on motors. I now use new motors and sell them when they are 7-8 years old.
My current on my sailboat is a 2014 Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot.

I'm at the age where I'll spend a little more, because my time is more valuable than saving $1,000 on a engine that throws a wrench into my weekend when it breaks down.

Some info I can pass along: My good friend has owned a boat shop for 30+ years, and he says some brands of engines are hard to get parts for. I don't think the motors of 20 years ago are as good as the old motors of the 60's, 70's and 80's in terms of repair. Everything is plastic now and breaks down in 15 years. The old motors had metal parts that don't dissolve with age.

He has struggled to get parts for Evinrudes that were just 10 years old, the current manufacturer doesn't support them for long. He says they are great engines however but doesn't recommend them.

He also won't work on Nissan's - can't get parts, too much time wasted trying to figure out the cross- reference between Nissan and Tohatsu. A guy in my marina had trouble getting his 2015 Nissan 5hp worked on...nobody would touch it.

I'd look for a good used, just a few years old, Mercury, Yamaha, Tohatsu or Honda motor so you can go sail and not be messing with old motors that break down all the time.

Keep us posted..
Erik

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have a couple of 18 and 22 year old Mercury 15HP two stroke outboards that I keep running. It's a bit of a love/hate thing, but they are light, at 73 lb., strong - will plane my 9' AB rib with two passengers, and just keep going. Parts are available. That said, if the lower unit goes, and you can't rebuild it yourself or it's badly corroded, you are sunk. I have a spare lower unit. One motor is on the stand awaiting a reassembly while I use the other.

As with anything mechanical, you have to keep after it to keep it going. I don't think it could be much better for any other motors than these Mercs. Of course, you must be mechanically inclined, have the space and tools, and, I think, actually like doing this.

BTW, the plastic Mercury fuel tanks are garbage. Get a N.O.S metal one if you can. I have two, a 2.5 and a 6 gal.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
In my experience all small outboard engines require frequent work. E10 gasoline (10% ethanol) plays havoc on carburetors and other fuel components. Gasoline with no ethanol content can still be found in some gas stations and marina pumps at higher $$ price. Pure gasoline will make your engine run better. google online gas stations near you that may carry 100% gasoline. I would suggest using additives to prevent gumming getting a shop manual for your engine so you may diagnose and do your own work. If the engine does not crank there are a couple of possibilities. 1) a hydraulic lock, where gasoline or water fill the combustion chamber 2) a jammed pull cord recoil mechanism. If the engine was running fine chances are it is not seized. Remove the spark plug and drain any fluid that may be found in the cylinder. If it is dry add a bit of oil into the cylinder and pull hard on the cord.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
A new 7/11 just opened near us and it has a non-ethanal pump. Is this a national trend for 7/11?

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
A new 7/11 just opened near us and it has a non-ethanal pump. Is this a national trend for 7/11?
Non-ethanol gas is pretty common here in Oklahoma. What you have to watch out for is the pumps with the common hose for E10 and non-ethanol. I usually buy a small quantity for the boat, 2 gals at a time usually and if you pump out of a common hose you are getting a quart or more of E10. If I buy from a common hose pump I'll put a gallon or so into the Jeep tank and then fill my small can.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Our 2007 Johnson 4 stroke 15 hp is still running like a top. I believe the secret to keeping any bit of marine kit functioning at it's best is to use it. Up until we had the impeller changed last year (and it did need it) the engine had not once been rinsed in fresh water in all that time. We use it almost every day and use it fairly hard. We did have to clean the carb a couple of times early on, but that was when she was burning US gas. Haven't had that problem since moving to the Caribbean.
Sounds like what's killing your motors is US gas and the winter lay-ups. Try placing it in a 55 gallon drum and running it several times a week in the winter.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Back in the 1980's I worked with a mechanic that we referred to as Mr. Bill. He had a lot of old salt perspective. One remark that I picked up from him was - "Probably the two worst things that you can do to a boat are abusing it & not using it, & I think that not using it is worse".

In the last 30 years, I have not found grounds upon which to base a disagreement.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
If you are really trying to get off cheap, 2 86 lbs trolling motors will give you a very real 4 hp. 4 batteries and the 2 motors will be less than a grand. I can promise you, they start every time you twist the switch. I use a single 86 lbs thrust trolling motor. It will barely push the boat up to about 25 mph headwind. Under 15 mph headwind, and I cruise along at about 4 - 5 mph.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I'm still waiting for how the OP defines "seized". To me that means the motor is frozen to the point that the pull cord will not move the flywheel.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I'm still waiting for how the OP defines "seized". To me that means the motor is frozen to the point that the pull cord will not move the flywheel.
That's what I based my reply on.
We need to figure out the motor is really seized before we start the latest version of "The Best Outboard." :)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I hate to ask the stupid question.... is it in gear. Some OMC’s have a lock out preventing you from pulling the cord while in gear. Don’t ask how far I towed to find this out!!!!

Les

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I hate to ask the stupid question.... is it in gear. Some OMC’s have a lock out preventing you from pulling the cord while in gear. Don’t ask how far I towed to find this out!!!!Les
Spent a whole day trying to get a guy's Riva sport boat (the lovely varnished ones) to start with no success. At the end of a very frustrating day, as I was putting the dash back, my elbow tapped the gearshift, which clicked obediently into neutral! I could hardly charge the guy for my stupidity so it was a pretty expensive lesson, time-wise. I am happy to say I have never made that one again!