Throttle and Shift Cable Replacement, 85 Legend 35.5

TommmD

Jul 22, 2014
Hunter Legend 355 Portsmouth, RI
Hi, looking for some guidance for cable replacement for my 1995 Legend 35.5. What I am seeing appears to involve more than I expected (!). Have the top of the helm off and cable links exposed, but unless I take the steering cables off the quadrant to unbolt the helm entirely, I can't see how to access the cables themselves without elves. In the picture, you can see the black cable sheath on the right that leads to the turning sheaves. Since there is no access from below, everything needs to be done from the top. Am I going too far? Hard to believe this is how to replace the cables!

Helm_looking_down.jpg
Helm-from-aft.jpg
Quadrant.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Not 100% sure but I believe that 7/16 nut below stearing shaft holds both cables then you pull both down out of quad

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I might approach the job by first undoing steering shaft and the nut holding the wires, then removing the pedestal shell by lifting up and over the steering gear. I know its ugly, but possibly removing the deck plate, also.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Let me know how that works because I'm looking forward to that project been lubing the cables but gonna need New soon

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Did this exact replacement on my 28 2 years ago.

The instructions for doing this are on the Edison website. It's easiest to remove the entire binnacle to get access to the cables from below. There are usually some sharp turns right where it enters the binnacle and so makes it hard to fish with limited access. Should take you about 2 hours to remove and replace if things go well.

Good luck,

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
I agree with Victor- I did this on my 33.5 several years ago and ended up taking the pedestal off entirely and lying it down - you only need to disconnect the cables for the steering quadrant which wasn't that difficult

TommmD

Jul 22, 2014
Hunter Legend 355 Portsmouth, RI
OK, have started loosening the deck plate bolts, but broke the bit on my impact driver on the last one! Was just on the Edson site but missed the instructions. May have to call to find them. I'll post pix as I go.
Question: Did you disconnect the steering cables or just loosen them? That looks like a second level of aggravation. Don't see how to re-attach them w/o removing the quadrant which is definitely out of scope!

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
I believe I took off the steering cables, but honestly don't remember

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
You should be able to loosen, and then disconnect the cables at the quadrant. There should be two eye-bolts (the "eyes" are under the quadrant), each with two nuts, locked against each other on the front top of the quadrant. With two wrenches, loosen the outer nut from the inner, and then remove them both. Make not of how much exposed bolt is visible on each one so you can reset your approximate tension when you re-assemble.

Chris