Thoughts on dinghies?

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
You might consider the porta-boat. There is an 8-ish foot version, and a 10-ish foot version. I think the smaller one is around $1,200. It can fold up and tie to your stanchions for storage. It's rugged enough to be pulled up onto a beach. It rows nicely. I think it checks all your boxes.

Jul 16, 2018
Hunter 40 Boston
@limbodog you are just beginning. You have not even explored the kayaks and paddle boards both inflatable and solid built.

So many options so many chances to get wet.
Not so much for bringing guests to the shore/pier tho'. I do wonder if a kayak is good for a little light maintenance around the hull. But I might just try to borrow one for that.

Jul 16, 2018
Hunter 40 Boston
You might consider the porta-boat. There is an 8-ish foot version, and a 10-ish foot version. I think the smaller one is around $1,200. It can fold up and tie to your stanchions for storage. It's rugged enough to be pulled up onto a beach. It rows nicely. I think it checks all your boxes.
https://www.porta-bote.com yes?

That's... Huh. That's kind of interesting. I'm going to have to check those out. The reviews are nothing short of glowing. Only downside is that it looks like its low capacity compared to a RIB. The 12' is 670 lbs capacity. That's about half of a RIB's capacity. But the ability to fold it up and basically flat pack it looks fantastic.

Do you own one? I'm curious if the folding seams wear down over time

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Limbodog, yes, i do indeed own one, but the 10 foot version. I can load it full of stuff and it's fine. There's a guy on Sailnet who has an 8 footer, and seems to like it. Also, a youtuber, White Spot Pirates, uses an 8 footer, I think. The seams are pretty robust, and I haven't heard of them being a problem. And yes, that's the website.