Thoughts and prayers for all our sailor friends on the Gulf Coast

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
that is a nice thing to do ......luckily we dodged the bullet here in mobile bay .....and over in baton rouge some were ok others may have had some trouble from the high water ....thanks woody

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
yes he is ok national guard evacuated them on sunday and later on he returned home and said he had1 /2 of inch freeboard left before the water would go in his house but it had crested ...he also said he had a honda gen set running his freezer and fridge and was staying at a friends house that had power and aircon ..so he is doing ok

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Power and internet back today ! Yea.. Thanks for the thoughts.. Have been helping neighbors all day who had water damage.. We have quite a mess here.. Susan and I are very lucky folks. The marina is fine, we couldn't get there from here .. it was an adventure .. The ride in the big green camo high water truck was fine.. The Natnl Guard folks and the police were helping get everyone squared away and were professional and courteous to us. We were 16 folks and two dogs crammed in, and all happy to be there.. The truck had to dodge dead cars and many rescue boats as we made our way out.. That plate that says "I'd rather be sailing" was very true!
Things like power come back lots faster when they don't have to repair wind damage ..
James and those folks from south Miss coast had some flooding too.. anyone hear from him?

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
report from the Flood Control Meteorologist in Houston on the disaster.

Early estimates are that 70% of the structures in Livingston Parish or some 35,100 homes just in this one parish have been flooded. Statewide estimates are as high as 70,000-80,000 structures are flooded

and it IS a real disaster, as bad as, or worse,, than Katrina.

Here's a pic I shot passing through the canal from Industrial locks, min New Orleans after Katrina. These are refrigerators and freezers being stripped, all came from Ninth ward. Remember- everyone of those is a destroyed home. I couldn't get them all, because barges full were in the way

Attachments

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Kloudie,
Glad to hear that y'all are OK & that the house didn't flood. Appears that thousands of folks further north weren't so fortunate. It's going to be a long process to get back to normal & expensive for those who didn't have flood insurance. It's hard to find a place to rent & repairs are slow when so many are affected at once. Fortunately, we had a FEMA trailer to live in ,when necessary , during renovations after Katrina & flood insurance to cover the expenses.
We had intermittent showers over the last several days; however, not much accumulation. Just three days of sloppy weather with no threat of flooding. Now, if we can just get through the next 6 weeks without a hurricane, it will be clear sailing into the fall.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Well no major flooding here, but roads were closed. My brother in Baton Rouge had water within 2" of coming in his house ( no wake zone for sure). I grew up in Big BR.

As Baton Rouge expanded to East towards Denham Spring they encroached on the Amite River flood basin.
20 inches of Hurricane symptomatic rainfall was just too much.
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/flooding-in-louisiana-and-more.180787/

We had a lot of roof leaks, but all ok here, with me, and other local sailors.
There are a lot more SBO members who have not chimed in, which worries me a bit.
I hope all is ok with them.
Jim...