Thinking about the new 356, any good ? :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug

vs bavaria and beneteau

We own a 335 from 1986 and finished the refit almost 2 years ago. We love the boat and I always read whatever I can find about this make vs. other production boats. I think the best thing to do is look at the back of Sail and Cruising world. You can find 100 catalinas and beneteaus per page but try finding Hunters in the 34-38 foot range and there is hardly a listing. That's because people who buy them don't want to sell them and the guys who bought the other makes want to get rid of them and go to a hunter. I read a review of Bavarias (I like them, by the way) and saw that the reviewer noticed bronze thru-hulls connected to stainless seacocks. Now they might not break in two like our hunters but once those two metals galvanically corrode it will sink just the same. Regarding reviews on the beneteaus, the interior workmanship (or lack of) always draws negative feedback. There soles aren't even wood anymore and I guess there is horrible joint work. Hunter interiors always get rave reviews from sole to cabin top. Based on my experience and reviews I have read over the last several years, my next boat will be another Hunter. Doug

K

Karter

If it feels good, then go for it.

I can't say that there is anything wrong with a Hunter. Would I feel more comfortable on an Pacific Seacraft or a Hunter going around Cape Horn . No question I want that Pacific Seacraft. But I must comment on what I have seen with Hunters in the past. I have been going to the Atlantic City Sail Expo (and various others) since it first opened in 1992. One thing I did notice about the Hunters was the things "below the surface". I noticed very shoddy workmanship where most people do not look. In small access spots, etc. I saw things like the joinery was off, fasteners were not tightened or missing, corners didn't meet perfectly square, hardware was the cheapest on the market...etc. Now would that make the boat inheritantly unsafe? No. But it did put a question into my mind about other things that have to do with the boat. Maybe that is where the rumors and innuendos started. Hunters in the past did have questionable workmanship and designs. But I must say that I think Hunter has come a long way since the early/mid '90's (and earlier) and I have since diligently checked the newer Hunters and I beleive the workmanship has improved a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.