Thinking about the new 356, any good ? :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Iceman

I am thinking about buying a Hunter 356 but heard so many bad stories about Hunters but at the same time, the boat is just so perfect for my intended purpose and looks just so nice...so you guys own Hunters, care to give me what you really think of Hunters compares to say Beneteaus, Bavarias, or Jeanneaus ? Thanks...

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Nothing wrong with Hunters.

Iceman: There is nothing wrong with Hunters. Like every boat/car/house/device they can have problems. If they are so bad, how come they have been in business so long and have sold so many boats year after year? That's because most of the crap out there is hear say. What have you heard that is so bad about Hunters? We are interested in what you think you need to worry about. The 356 looks like a wonderful boat. The few reports I have seen on them is outstanding.

R

Russell Egge

What is your intended purpose?

If you plan to sail the southern oceans, none of the boats you mentioned fit the bill. However if you plan on lake/coastal cruising, Hunters are wonderfully tailored to fit your need (so are the other boats for that matter). We love our Hunters because they enable us to leave the worries of our everyday world behind and explore beyond the low tide marks in the sand. And there is alot to see and learn as you get into sailing these boats. Please be more specific about your goals and aspirations. And tell us the dirt you have heard from owners of boats upset to see us pass them by on days with only 10 knots of wind (just not dead down wind, of course) RRegge S/V Allie Kat

A

Alex

Nothing wrong 2..I owned them all..

as I have owned both Beneteau and Bavaria beside Hunter , I can tell you there is really nothing wrong with Hunter.. More than that, as the European mentioned boats prices' has gone somehow down later years compared to US made ones( at least outside USA) ..as both Beneteaus and Bavarias ( and to some extend Jeaneaus)are mainly competing wideworld in charter fleets market , Hunter- to my opinion-has made steady improvements in later years to its products and their quality control. They sure look different than the European production ones ( and most other US brand too..) but they are well made and especially suited for fun and easy casual/coastal/family sailing which is what 90% of us are doing 90% of the time...( except the B

C

Carl and Juliana Dupre

Been There, Done That

We went through similar angst with all of the "traditional wisdom" that we heard about Hunters also. We went to boat shows and looked at boats, and came away feeling that we really liked the Hunters compared to the other production boats. But that couldn't possibly be right! We just must not know what we are looking at! So we went back home, read some more, learned some more, talked to people about what kinds of things to look for, went to another show and looked again. And again, we liked the Hunters. But that can't possibly be right! We still must not know what we are looking at! Then we discovered this website. What a resource. Well, after about 3 or 4 cycles of looking at boats, reading, talking, learning, and then looking at boats again, and after about 18 months of following the various boat sites of "sailboatowners.com", we concluded that just maybe we DID know what we were looking at. We knew what we expected to do with our boat, and what we didn't expect to do with our boat (like cross oceans). Then we found ways to sail the boats that we were interested in, and that was the final touch. We bought a Hunter 340, and couldn't be happier with the boat, and with Hunter, who has been just great in terms of customer support. If you really like the H356, don't let the "traditional wisdom" get in the way. DO make sure that you know how you expect the use the boat. Carl and Jule s/v 'Syzygy'

J

Jack

Rumors

I have heard many rumors about Hunters and have often wondered how they get started. I especially like the one about the Hunters that cracked in half while on the delivery truck. The Hunter bashers are for the most part those individuals who have long keel bluewater cruisers who can't understand while somebody would spend 80-250 K on a new Hunter when they can buy a used long keel boat for the same money. It boils down to different strokes for different folks. Take into account that most boats hardly ever leave the dock much less leave for Tahiti. Since most Hunters are used for Day/weekend sailing with the ocassional longer cruise, they fit the majority of sailors' needs. Then there are people that have worked hard to earn their money and want a new boat, the way they want it. Thanks to those people because their old boats give me something to sail. Everybody is happy. I don't think you hear as much venom about Hunters from Catalina and Beneteau owners, good natured ribing perhaps, as you do from the Slocum wanabees of the world.

S

Steve O.

Boat of the Year

Cruising World named the 356 "Boat of the Year" for its class, but that won't stop the CWBB from bashing it. I saw the 356 at the Detroit Boat Show and it was fabulous, but haven't sailed one.

L

Les Blackwell

Interesting how people pick their boats

I like Carl and Juliana Dupre's comments. It reminded me of the following: There was a study done in the last few years that I've heard about but haven't as yet found that apparently said that Sailboat owners study all the companies, the boats, who has the boats they like and visit at least two boat shows. Sailors also take an average of two years to make a decision. And when they do make a decision, it is like they were marrying the company. On the other hand, power boaters take as little as four weeks to make up their mind and once bought, tend to do little to up grade their boat. They are more incline to buy a new boat if they old one doesn't fit their purpose. As I said, I don't have the study before me but I am interested in finding it. I've heard these comments from two local marine surveyors.

R

Rodney

Love my Hunter every time I see it

Ours is a 96 H336. Our first boat since a 16ft bass boat 25 years ago. We did a moderate amount ofl homework, looked at what we liked, discussed what we could afford, and found and bought a really clean used 336 two years ago. We surely didn't take 2 years to make up our minds. We love it. It sails easily, maintenance is a snap, and I surely would not sell her for what I have in her. But then again, what do I know? I just sail and enjoy my boat. I don't even belong to a sailing club. Good luck in your search. Rodney S/V Avanti

I

Iceman

My purpose

I am planning on doing mostly day sails in the Sydney Harbour in Australia and its adjacent waterways and occasionally along the east coast of Australia say upto a few days of crusing. I also have this idea of spending as much time as possible with the boat such as on summer nights anchoring off some remote beach and just stay there for the weekend or something like that. I enjoying sailing as I knew I would and I am sure cruising would also be in my alley because I used to hike a lot and this would certainly the ultimate adventure. As regards to what I heard about Hunter yachts ? Well, the boys at other boat companies seemed to dislike Hunter a lot and I suspect they are intimidated by Hunter perhaps. things I heard include 'Don't buy a Hunter because they sail like a caravan', 'The hulls are just slap together with glues and they fall apart', 'You can see the ripples on the hull and that's where the water will sip in with paper thin hulls' and my favourite which this pushy Beneteau sales guy told me last weekend, 'If you don't believe Beneteaus are the best and most suited for you, buy a Hunter already *wink wink*' because everyone know they are sh

D

David Foster

Designed for you, no hidden issues

As a regular reader of most posts on this site I offer this summary. There is no trend of difference among Hunter, Beneteau, or Catalina for delivering what is advertised. Recent Hunter buyers do report excellent support from Hunter itself on new deliveries, making good any problems quickly and responsively. Dealers seem to be a mixed bag for all brands. There are new boat problems, but no manufacturer seems to emerge as much better or worse. If the Hunter is the boat you like from the shows, and your trials, then go with it. The design of the 356 is certainly aimed exactly at your intended use. I remember no problems of the B

S

Steve

Rigs

I have a 2001 320, and have sailed it for one season now. The rig is a little different, but just adds a little bit more to learn about the boat's handling. You would have to learn any boat that you sail anyway. It is easy for cruising, and I am learning enough to start placing better in races. I also have the cockpit cushions, but opted not to hard mount them with snaps or velcro. I was advised that either will still allow some movement, and that would not be good when trying to stand on them to move about. Also, the mounting would get in the way when the cushions were not in the cockpit. We put them up when crusing, but they are stowed below for racing and rough weather. Works great for us. Overall, we are very happy with our Hunter. There were a few problems, but I didn't expect perfection on a production boat. Hunter and the dealer have taken care of the problems, and they appear to learn from them. It was also priced quite a bit less than the others for its size and market. If you want a racer, buy one and double the price. I race mine as well as cruise, and I am happy doing both.

S

Steve

Rumor Source?

I hadn't heard about a Hunter cracking in two on the truck, but the source of that might have been a boat that was delivered to this area. A few years back, a friend got a call from an insurance company asking if he wanted to buy a Hunter 31 that had "ripples" in the hull after shipment. He bought the boat for under half cost (brand new boat). When he saw it, the boat had not been placed on the pads properly so they did not have bulkhead support. He had the boat in a sling at the marina, and was going to glass the "ripples" over and then apply new gel coat. Before he got started, the "ripples" went away after hanging for a couple hours, so he just launched the boat. After sailing

S

Steve O.

urban legends

Ever notice how its always "a friend of a friend knew this guy whose Hunter broke in two and sank?" Where's the documentation? Is there anybody on this site--the largest concentration of Hunter ownres in the world--who has actually had their boat break in two, or sink from a hull failure? Its always someone who has never owned a Hunter that's bad mouthing them. Maybe this would be a good quick quiz question: How many of you have had your Hunter break in two and sink like a rock?

H

hp

Hey.........

Sailing brings out the "expert" in everyone....often with a little vitriol thrown in.... We Hunter owners know how to grin and bear it, and really enjoy our boats, but hey, I can even remember some HOW folks getting REALLY agitated about other people's boats and the trips they are planning to make with them....Hunters, even...so I guess that what goes around, comes around. **G**!

S

Steve O.

Steve Dion

Good point! Maybe Robert Ballard can tell us how many broken Hunters he's found on the bottom:)

A

Al Sandrik

Last time I was on the CWBB...

I think they were accusing Hunter of building the Titanic. Hey come to think of it wasn't that a production boat series, Oceanic, Titanic and Britanic? ;^)

B

Beth and Scott Delaney

We Saw, We Bought

On our first purchase, we based our decision on a few key pieces of advise we received from close friends that sail. 1. Buy the biggest, newest production boat you can afford. 2. Catalina, Benneteau, Hunter--It's not like they were built with sinking in mind. Whatever you buy, it's not going to fall apart after a few years of use. 3. Compare the three. Pick the one you'd be most comfortable living in. 4. What are you getting for the money your spending? Don't try to justify the money--it's just not going to happen. Okay, so with those things in mind, we went to the Annapolis Boat show this past fall. We looked and priced the H326, H356, several Beneteau models, and several Catalina models. We went back and forth between the Beneteau 331 and the H356. The competition is offering nothing comparable in size to the H356 at this time. We also like the interior better. We chose the H356 and bought while at Annapolis Boat Show. We haven't taken delivery yet, but are looking forward to doing so. That was 3 month's after we first started thinking about buying a sail boat. If what everyone tells me is true, we'll be trading up in a few years anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.