Thinking about painting my hull

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
You know what’s even prettier than a sailboat? A green sailboat (or red or blue or whatever).

have any of you done this?

i know there are lots of reasons not to, but I’m still thinking about it.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Before (with PO) and after (me + friend's kid)
Before.jpg
563977_10150951923848244_393590611_n.jpg

2011-wax1.jpg

Paint from Supermarine.JPG

Paint from Supermarine

Deck and Hull

Bottom paint is Rustoleum Brown

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
You know what’s even prettier than a sailboat? A green sailboat (or red or blue or whatever).
They are sure pretty and one of my sailboat friends likes light cream-colored boat and has one. I just bought a light cream-colored power boat and its a really big deal to color match the gelcoat when making fiberglass repairs and painting the non-skid on this 36 year old boat. I would have preferred a white boat for ease of color matching.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
Stripes are off, ready to pull hardware and start wet sanding tomorrow.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Idle related curiosity - they wrap cars these days to change color and protect the original paint, could they/do they wrap boats as well? And if so, any idea of how much that costs per foot? Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the winter wrap, but a hull wrap which would just appear to change the color of the hull.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Idle related curiosity - they wrap cars these days to change color and protect the original paint, could they/do they wrap boats as well? And if so, any idea of how much that costs per foot? Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the winter wrap, but a hull wrap which would just appear to change the color of the hull.
You might have something there. Gotta' be easier than cutting around automotive handles. locks. windows etc. We even have wrapped city busses here.

Jan 19, 2010
Just did a search... yup, people doin' it... just type boat wrapping into that google thing and then click image search

1617724594123.png

1617724499281.png
1617724524954.png

Jan 19, 2010
Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
OK, the rattan boat made me laugh. Dr. Google does reveal its a thing. Anyone on here have any experience with it? Seems its shorter lived than high quality paint, and more fragile, but far less expensive (though still not cheap) and you can get things in a wrap (like a rattan pattern) that you just can't do with paint. Whether you should or not is another matter.

As an aside, when shopping for my current boat in 2018 I ended up seriously considering one other boat that was less equipped than the one I ended up purchasing, but had a really nice professionally painted dark blue hull. I asked the broker about it, and he indicated that while very nice looking, painted hulls have a lifecycle and keeping the boat looking bristol after the end of that lifecycle can be very time consuming, or expensive. I decided I didn't need another maintenance/expense item on a 36 foot boat that was 100% cosmetic. For the price of a professional hull paint job I could probably repower - maybe even twice. YMMV - and they do look gorgeous - but I decided it wasn't for me. A wrap, which you can just peel off once it starts to go, and still have the original hull to work feels more in my strike zone, although its still not cheap at thousands of dollars (based on what Dr. Google seems to show).

Anyway, curious to see if anyone has gone this route and their thoughts.

Nov 17, 2018
Wauquiez Pretorien Washington
I had a Tartan that I painted dark green (literally, Awlgrip color...) with an off white bootstripe and red bottom paint. Got complimented all the time.