Think we're going to see a surge in first-time cruisers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
You are incorrect. Your mask protects me, my masks protects you. The mask prevents water droplets from leaving your face, drifting in the air and landing on surfaces and to a very minor extent prevents you from breathing in any virus containing droplets. And vice versa. This is why masks are essential.
Your mask protects you. Please don't worry about me. I have no water droplets leaving my face and drifting in the air. Your N95 mask protects you to a MAJOR extent from breathing in the virus.

it is our obligation to act in the common good and it wearing a mask is in the common good.
Altruism is a virtue but basic human instinct is put our individual interest before the common good. Our constitution call this the Bill of Rights.

If you don't wear a mask, fine, but don't show up at a hospital needing care because you contracted C-19. Don't complain because the hospital can't treat you because they are full of C-19 patients. If you take unnecessary risks, then accept the consequences. That's the other half of the equation, if you don't want to act in the common good, then don't expect the rest of us to support you.
I have the same rights to medical care as anyone else. Especially if I actually pay for it!

Well, I know a lot about human behavior. This is a nice sentiment, but it simply doesn't work in real life. People are inherently irrational and act in their short term interests not their long term. They respond to immediacy, either positive or negative. Shaping social behavior is complex and is not at all based on commonsense. When someone says "Commonsense says you should...." they are wrong. Sorry, that's just the nature of the human beast.
People acting as INDIVIDUALS with guidance is what will happen no matter what laws are passed. Coercing people and mindless laws only fosters rebellion.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If the situation calls for it I will. I will judge that. I don't need a law.
And exactly how much medical education do you have upon which to make that judgement? You do not have the right to choose when you wear a mask, if by not wearing it, you endanger me. That is not what this country is supposed to be about.
Why in the world wouldn't you want to wear a mask when you are out in public? Don't you have any family or anybody that you care about?
Apparently, you and a whole lot of other people, including the president (like those who are protesting to end the isolation) do need a law! And the fine should be stiff enough that you do as every medical professional with expertise in the field of epidemiology suggests.
Just like wearing a seat belt, your failure to do as the law requires puts a whole lot of other people at risk. Stop thinking about only yourself and consider the welfare of others you might encounter.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Your mask protects you. Please don't worry about me. I have no water droplets leaving my face and drifting in the air. Your N95 mask protects you to a MAJOR extent from breathing in the virus.
That is wrong, completely wrong. Every time you breathe water vapor and droplets escape. And I am really not worried about you, however I am concerned about the folks you might infect with your behavior.

Altruism is a virtue but basic human instinct is put our individual interest before the common good. Our constitution call this the Bill of Rights.
Well, you might want to re-read the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. An informed reading of those documents would show that the country was formed to promote the common good.

There is a large body of scientific evidence about altruism. I suggest you read it.

I have the same rights to medical care as anyone else. Especially if I actually pay for it!
Well, actually you don't. And if you believe you pay for all of your medical care you are misinformed.

You might find this podcast informative. Who Gets the Ventilator? (Ep. 413) - Freakonomics

People acting as INDIVIDUALS with guidance is what will happen no matter what laws are passed. Coercing people and mindless laws only fosters rebellion.
Unenlightened self-interest poses threats to democracy.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
And exactly how much medical education do you have upon which to make that judgement? You do not have the right to choose when you wear a mask, if by not wearing it, you endanger me. That is not what this country is supposed to be about.
Why in the world wouldn't you want to wear a mask when you are out in public? Don't you have any family or anybody that you care about?
Apparently, you and a whole lot of other people, including the president (like those who are protesting to end the isolation) do need a law! And the fine should be stiff enough that you do as every medical professional with expertise in the field of epidemiology suggests.
Just like wearing a seat belt, your failure to do as the law requires puts a whole lot of other people at risk. Stop thinking about only yourself and consider the welfare of others you might encounter.
Your 3000 miles away, how are you in danger from me? I don't need medical training to dispute your claim, just common sense man.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
To bring it back to the OP’s question for a bit (and away from potitics) - I’m not optimistic that cruising will increase. It’s becoming increasingly clear that there’s not going to be a magic day when everything by goes back to normal. Restrictions will lessen over time, but will continue to be an impediment to those who want to travel. But there are unpredictable outcomes to these kinds of things so who really knows if some unexpected second or third order effect will lead to more sailing.

Regarding the various YouTube channels - I did hear a news story the other day that although overall views of YouTube and other creator content is up, ad revenue overall is down. There is less ad spending, and the increase in views increases the supply of ad spots, so there is less money per spot. I’m sure Patreon backed channels are also losing revenue as Patrons reduce their spending. I don’t think it’s likely that all the YouTube channels will survive this. Likely some will, and some who were not depending on the income will keep producing, but some will go away.

To take a more optimistic angle - The extra time people have to watch the YouTube videos might inspire some people to try sailing once quarantines subside. Sailing will always appeal to some people, and maybe some newcomers will realize that they’re in that group. And maybe after the quarantines end some families will look back and realize their extra time together wasn’t so bad, and look to the cruising life as a way to get more of that.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
That is wrong, completely wrong. Every time you breathe water vapor and droplets escape. And I am really not worried about you, however I am concerned about the folks you might infect with your behavior.
There is no evidence the virus is in vapor from breath. More internet misinformation.

Well, you might want to re-read the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. An informed reading of those documents would show that the country was formed to promote the common good.
Yes, but not at the expense of individual rights. That was the whole point of the Bill of Rights. Check it out sometime.

Well, actually you don't. And if you believe you pay for all of your medical care you are misinformed.
Your right in a sense. I pay for insurance that pays for my medical care and they don't disqualify me for not wearing a mask

Unenlightened self-interest poses threats to democracy.
A gratuitous statement.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There is no evidence the virus is in vapor from breath. More internet misinformation.
Only if you don't believe the CDC.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Transmission

Yes, but not at the expense of individual rights. That was the whole point of the Bill of Rights. Check it out sometime.
Yep, I have read it. Please point out which amendment specifies that we have unfettered rights to do what we want. Here is a link so don't have search for the document.

Your right in a sense. I pay for insurance that pays for my medical care and they don't disqualify me for not wearing a mask
You miss the point. Insurance is simply socialized medicine with a profit motive. The more irresponsible the people in the insurance pool are, or in another way the more ill the people in insurance pool are, the higher the premiums. So your actions if they cause increased medical costs, increase the premiums of others in the insurance pool. They may not disqualify you for not wearing a mask, but for everyone in the pool who get sick and seeks medical care because someone didn't wear a mask or take appropriate precautions, the cost increases and those costs are not met by decreases in profits, they are met by increases in premiums.

A gratuitous statement.
Only because you disagree.

Let's try a little though experiment.

Public Health trackers come to you and tell you that my gravely ill wife was infected by you. What do you say to me? How do you look me in the eye and tell me that your "right" to not take reasonable precautions supercede my wife's right to be healthy?

What if it is your best friend's spouse? What do you say to him?

What if it is your brother or sister's spouse? How do you tell him or her that your failure to wear a mask caused their illness or death?

What if it is your daughter's spouse?

I await for your answer.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Gentlemen. As much as I am enjoying this conversation (I am not being facetious), it's strayed a little too far from the thread and the purpose of the forum. Reluctantly, it has to be locked. I do appreciate that this sub-topic on civil liberties did not devolve into name-calling. Thank you for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.