Think we're going to see a surge in first-time cruisers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
With the pandemic, many careers are being ended unexpectedly. Some of those people who perform personal services are thinking about how to make a living without being in close contact with other people. Others are thinking of retirement ahead of schedule. Getting away on the water is looking more attractive to many, despite the restrictions now being imposed. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Interesting speculation. Sailing has such a steep learning curve compared to power boating but it is potentially less expensive .... I guess we will have to wait and watch.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
With the pandemic, many careers are being ended unexpectedly. Some of those people who perform personal services are thinking about how to make a living without being in close contact with other people. Others are thinking of retirement ahead of schedule.
Yes, very true; I may be in that number!
Already past full SS retirement age; however, would like to retire on my own terms when I am ready.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If history is any indication, the economy will quickly rebound.
Lets hope..... I have a box of boat parts that arrived in the mail this week. Its killing me to sit at home...:poop:... I need a week sleeping in a different cove each night.... :beer:

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Living on the edge ... I'm also right on the cusp of retirement, while Sue is not. My company had to furlough 17 employees because our bank failed to come thru for us with PPP and now we're waiting to see what's next. We're not out of work but our gait is at a severe limp right now. I could be next. We just started shopping for a bigger boat for more comfortable cruising. I promised Sue I would work a few years more just to ease the financial end of it, but now she is too nervous about what's next to plunge ahead. Should I be happy with forced retirement so I can have more time to spend alone on our small boat or should I hope we come out of this quick, so I can close on a more comfortable boat? I think I choose the latter for more financial flexibility!

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
I don't think that many will adopt sailing because of covid-19 but may accelerate the process for those that were already considering or working toward it. I would be less surprised at a motor-home boom for those that retire early or retire out of necessity.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Given that a vaccine is at least a year away, and maybe more, the rest of the world will be slow to welcome visitors for a long time. I presently know of a couple living on their boat in NZ, and they cannot leave without having somewhere to go next. They have been actively cruising the Pacific for about 5 years. Every country will have differing rules, and those may change quickly. I suspect that the "new normal" is going to be different than we might be hoping for or expecting.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Our cruising plans came to a screeching halt. We were supposed to leave on June 15 to sail out the St Lawrence and then down to the Bahamas. Well, not this year, maybe next.

With so many staying home and watching YouTube sailing videos we may see an influx because so many have been exposed to the dream. On the other hand, as @Scott T-Bird mentions, getting burned on your retirement savings can make folks more cautious.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I think it will be exactly the opposite. A lot of folks will probably stick closer to home and a great many are going to lose the income they were counting on to set themselves up for cruising, in the new economy. I believe the regulations in most countries will tighten up and cruising as we knew it is probably gone forever. Cruising permits will surely be more restrictive and expensive. This will also dissuade a lot of folks.
Boats will probably be much cheaper, but the things most folks add to them to go cruising will not.
As for making money while cruising, this is a myth for the most part. The vicarious internet video businesses will probably fade away, and most really didn't make their producers enough money to cruise on, anyway. It will be even harder to work outside your home country in the post pandemic world as countries concentrate on getting their own people back to work and getting their economies going again. Work permits will surely be more expensive and harder to get.
Chartering to make money, which was difficult before the pandemic, will be a great deal harder after it. Few will have the disposable income for vacations for quite some time and if folks can afford them, they will likely be leaner and closer to home.
I don't think of myself as a pessimist, but I can't see a return to normality as possible. Nor do I think it an especially good thing.
The human race has a once in history chance to change the things that need changing. A reboot, if you will. Going back to the same old, same old is insane. Perhaps insuring that all the people of the world have shelter, food, clean water, health care and switching to renewable energy could become the focus of human existence, rather than the me, me, me of the pre-pandemic world? A world without war because those who would become radicals will have those things I mentioned above instead of the dismal, hopeless future that facilitates radicalism.
Interesting proposition, don't you think?

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
With the pandemic, many careers are being ended unexpectedly. Some of those people who perform personal services are thinking about how to make a living without being in close contact with other people. Others are thinking of retirement ahead of schedule. Getting away on the water is looking more attractive to many, despite the restrictions now being imposed. It will be interesting to see how this develops.
I think just the opposite too. We will have a recession, be it short or long, the first things hit are luxury items. Get ready for some great buys if your in the market for a boat.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I gave my company notice on March 6th, that I would be retiring on July 1st, lots of congratulations. Then on March 20th I gave another notice......ah, let's hold off on that until further notice.....
A 1/4 of our company is furloughed, but I'm working from home for now. I thought I would be sailing the Great Lakes for a month and a half this summer, I doubt it now. This may be the second year in a row that many cannot sail, last summer was high water, and that may get us again this year. I feel that many boats will be coming for sale...which may feed the purpose of this thread. More boats, lower prices, new freshly retired people getting into sailing. We don't get many live-aboards on the inland waters, the scenario may be a lot different on the coasts.
Stay safe

dj

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I can see your point that the Youtube sailing world may look like an escape for the many who's lives are changing, and not for the better, because of this pandemic. But this escape looks like an illusion to me, right now.

Cruising has become a nightmare for many sailors in the last few weeks. Hundreds of US boats in the Caribbean have flocked to the US Virgin islands because they've been turned away (abruptly!), from other islands as they make their way north before hurricane season.

Many of them just want to get back to the USA. The Salty Dawg is arranging rally's north. The boats are sitting in a cesspool. Nightmare.

No time in my life have I ever been so glad to not be cruising, than today.

Jan 11, 2014
Susan and I were just talking about whether to head south this fall. We had planned a longer cruise up through the Canadian maritimes. Pretty much we've decided to stay home this winter. The prospects of a resurgence of the virus and getting stuck somewhere is not a pleasant thought.

The NYT published an article a couple of days ago. Does not sound like a fun trip for many.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Living on the edge ... I'm also right on the cusp of retirement, while Sue is not. My company had to furlough 17 employees because our bank failed to come thru for us with PPP and now we're waiting to see what's next. We're not out of work but our gait is at a severe limp right now. I could be next. We just started shopping for a bigger boat for more comfortable cruising. I promised Sue I would work a few years more just to ease the financial end of it, but now she is too nervous about what's next to plunge ahead. Should I be happy with forced retirement so I can have more time to spend alone on our small boat or should I hope we come out of this quick, so I can close on a more comfortable boat? I think I choose the latter for more financial flexibility!
My question would be, will you be at full retirement age at by SS standards? If not, I'd think hard about it, as I have done.
KG

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
My question would be, will you be at full retirement age at by SS standards? If not, I'd think hard about it, as I have.
KG
At the risk of drifting off-topic (so what's new, around here? ;)) Choosing a retirement time varies by the individual. Speaking for myself, I have found my disposable income did not suffer a big hit. While my gross income dropped around 30%, eliminating union dues, 403(b) contributions, FICA and Medicare deductions, work related expenses (clothing, lunches, commuting expenses, etc.), and favorable tax treatment by NY of retirement income, I had no less money each month than I had while working. Granted, I do have a modest pension and took SS at 62. The only times I've dipped into my IRA has been for cool boat stuff, like new sails and electronics.

For those on the cusp of retiring, my take home message is that it costs less to be retired than when working. If you have planned ahead, saved wisely, and live comfortably yet modestly, retirement is not an economical disaster.

Returning to the thread topic, we'll cruise in the future so long as our health is good and its fun. When the fun stops or health fails, we'll stop.

Jan 11, 2014
@dlochner I hate to be negative, but watch out for inflation. It's inevitable the way the feds are printing money to cover these "stimulus" packages.
I hear you and I don't want to devolve this thread into an political/economic discussion.

With regards to your concerns, a couple of thoughts. In our situation we can live quite comfortably on our pensions and SS. We mostly refer to our IRAs as our nursing home fund. We also recognize that as we grow older our essential living expenses will decrease. For example, before I retired I was putting 20K+ miles on my truck a year, now it is under 14K. There are other things that just don't suck money like they did when we were working.

I recognize how fortunate we are as one of us had a union job with a properly funded pension fund and good retirement benefits. We also live modestly in a 1200 sq ft house with a $400 a month mortgage and low property taxes (and yes this in NY state!). If I say much more I'll start ranting and raving about the political and economic decisions and pressures that have been foisted on us and then the Bots will descend upon me and cast me into the Bermuda Triangle never to be seen again. :biggrin: So, I'll stop here, read between the lines. ;)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have shared this thought with several folk. It is in line with the statements shared by Capta.

This event will trigger a paradigm shift in the way we look at the world, work, recreation etc.
  • Employers will find they can get nearly the same production out of distancing personnel as those working in the office. Why spend the money to office all the workers?
  • The Global Dreamers may discover locating all the vital industries in foreign countries presents a risk to businesses and families at home.
  • Perhaps Venice will consider limits to visitors after rediscovering their canals with our sewage.
  • The economic risks of open borders may be examined.
  • Our grand children and great grand children will weigh the folly of our political, economic and health policies as they try to pay for the recovery bills.
  • Perhaps energy use will be examined, teachers may be viewed with a new higher value, the use of AI to guide models may supplant the biases of professional modelers,.
These are just the tip of the iceberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.