These Remote Outboard Cables Don't Exist... (apparently)

Jul 10, 2017
Hunter 260 Beaumont
I recently bought a 2001 Hunter 260 and have been giving it a very thorough going over. I was testing the Yamaha 9.9 outboard out (runs great thankfully!) when I discovered I couldn't put it into reverse. I assumed it was just a matter of adjusting the cable a little, but it turns out the cables are absolutely shot. The outer wires are rusted out completely in some spots and have stretched so much I don't have enough adjustment room to make them work. I know I need to replace them, but I can't find replacements. I've scoured the internet and have looked at every cable out there. None of them have connectors like these.

Has anyone else seen these? Do you know where I can get replacements? Are there any work arounds? The cables are about 6' long (4' would work fine) and they appear to be made by Yamaha. The throttle cable still moves very nicely so I've been considering the option of building a short manual linkage arm and just reaching back to change gears.

IMG_1328.JPG
IMG_1329.JPG
IMG_1330.JPG
IMG_1331.JPG

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
The ends are generally removable and reusable. Can you remove the plastic ends and then try to match them up?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Try contacting Yamaha but your best and most economical option will be a universal cable replacement. You just have to figure on where to set up the clamps and how to set up the connectors. Teleflex like uncledom suggested has a wide variety of lengths and sizes.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I have the same issue with the outer shell cracking and exposing the wire, which will rust and break. I went to my local Yamaha dealer and got new cables. Been awhile, but I think the ends are the same on my cables.

For me, the issue happens when the motor is raised up out of the water. The bend radii is too small and that causes too much stress on the outer shell.

Now that I know where they crack and break, I think the next time I will add some adhesive double layer heat shrink around that area.

Jul 10, 2017
Hunter 260 Beaumont
Well I might have found a solution... I went to Yamaha and had 4 techs (no joke) scouring there system for part. After about 20 minutes they found the cables but have no information on how long they are. They were $130 each. I ordered one of each. I'll update here once I get the cables and find out the total length etc.

The ends are generally removable and reusable. Can you remove the plastic ends and then try to match them up?
The ends are permanently attached

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Roger that. I think the smallest I saw was 8', but not 100% sure. Good luck and thanks for the thread. I have to done one of my cables now. :(

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You need to include a large loop in your length estimate. The loop allows you to raise and lower the motor without kinking the cable.... however, on my tohatsu, the shift cable bracket extends pretty far forward...and I find unclipping the cable from the BRACKET.... but leaving it attached to the shift lever... to put less stress on the cable's sleeve. The throttle cable bracket is snug to the motor body and does not impart the same stresses.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Just saw this thread. Joe is correct when tilting the motor up to install an extra long cable to allow for a coil to prevent the issues associated with the tilting of the engine up. Did so with the Tohatsu made engines which included of course Tohatsu, Mercury, Nissan and the older Mariner.