There is a Magnetometer on your phone (who knew!)

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I found a cool free app that should help locate the sensor. It is Gemeco iNstall. It turns your phone into a Magnetometer which measures local deviation. After you fire up the app, you can move it around and see how much deviation there is at any location. It is amazing to see it go from 2º to 90º in one foot as I move by the fridge in our house. The magnetic door seals really light it up.
Raymarine says they can handle 15º but recommending 10º max.
It also has a tilt meter to show deadrise and a wire sizing calculator among others.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
I have a couple of preferred locations to install the sensor core for my new EV-100 pilot but according to the book, might not be the best. I am looking forward to seeing what this thing tells me.
I am thinking it would be handy for anyone who is having problems with their AP holding course to check their location.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I have a couple of preferred locations to install the sensor core for my new EV-100 pilot but according to the book, might not be the best. I am looking forward to seeing what this thing tells me.
I am thinking it would be handy for anyone who is having problems with their AP holding course to check their location.
Different AP, however when I installed my new AP I found the app. Very helpful and kind of fun to wander around checking the magnetic fields. Just be sure to wear a tin hat. ;)

1623369474139.png

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@dlochner suggested that app to me when I was installing my EV100 and had questions about the location. App works great!

Apr 5, 2009
I got my EV-1 installed behind the drawers in my C30. I checked the location with the app and it showed only 5º deviation but some other locations in the cabin showed 20º or more. If I got within 12" of my speakers, it pegged the meter at 90º.

Attachments

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Just be sure to wear a tin hat. ;)
Now, see there, that’s what I really like about this forum: that right there is some real actionable information! Where else are we going to get that kind of timely advice? Nowhere, only right here!

PS: was that a custom made model, or one of those one-size-fits-all deals?

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
This app has turned my phone into a flux capacitor so I had better be carful not to hit 88-mph!
I don’t know. It might be interesting to see where you end up (besides court)…