The shifter mount on my Merriman Pedestal

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
The shifter mount on my Merriman Pedestal broke on my Hunter 285. I think the ice from the winter on Kentucky Lake did it. Called Robert at Joes Racing. He said they are going to start (once again) producing a high quality machined aluminum part to fit the Merriman Pedestal. The "slice" that the shift and throttle levers go in to. Just received mine last week. It looks to be Very high quality, it mounted easily. The whole changeout project took me about 4 hours. This includes removing the original old plastic one and installing their very well made Aluminum one. They are considering powder coating them white as a part of production. (The one shipped here is aluminum, photo below)

they will sell in the $200.00 range.
This is a new part so ask for Robert when calling.

Joes Racing Products
1410 80th St. SW Unit F
Everett, WA 98203
office: 425-267-9199
email: robert@joesracing.com

image-1156843133.jpg

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
That is helpful information. Do you or anyone else know where one get new shifter and throttle levers?

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
That is helpful information. Do you or anyone else know where one get new shifter and throttle levers?
Good to know that they started production again. It's a 2nd start for them with this part as their shop suffered a fire a while back and they had stopped making it. So far as I know Robert is the only one making the part. I've had mine for 4 or 5 years now and can vouch for the excellent and precise machining. Before installing I had it powder coated white. Looks good and easy to maintain. As for the shifters, I took mine to a motorcycle chrome shop and had them done. I suppose if broken levers could be adapted by fabricating a bushing to fit the pedestal lever shaft and the lever housing.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
Do you have the old broken lever? Or at least the brass shaft that goes inside?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Good to know that they started production again. It's a 2nd start for them with this part as their shop suffered a fire a while back and they had stopped making it. So far as I know Robert is the only one making the part. I've had mine for 4 or 5 years now and can vouch for the excellent and precise machining. Before installing I had it powder coated white. Looks good and easy to maintain. As for the shifters, I took mine to a motorcycle chrome shop and had them done. I suppose if broken levers could be adapted by fabricating a bushing to fit the pedestal lever shaft and the lever housing.
Claude my levers function fine they have lost some of their chrome/zinc? finish. Not really sure what the original finish was. What was the ballpark cost of having them re-chromed and what finish did you use?

Dec 14, 2003
Claude my levers function fine they have lost some of their chrome/zinc? finish. Not really sure what the original finish was. What was the ballpark cost of having them re-chromed and what finish did you use?
I took them to a motorcycle shop. They cleaned them and then re-chromed them (electroplating). They followed that with a buffing and made them real nice and shiny. The lettering on the levers is showing real good. It has been about 6 years I guess and my cost then was $80 (CDN $) for the both of them

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Merriman Control Head

That's good news about reintroducing the Merriman Control Head. Potentially, there are more than 1000 of them out there. In my case I had to resort to more unconventional measures. First I glued my plastic pieces together (it fell completely apart when I removed it) and measured everything. I started with a couple of pieces of 2 x 4 lumber and made a temporary fix for a year. Pretty classy. Later I located a source for a hunk-a, hunk-a, hunk-aluminum that was the required 7 inches in diameter by 2 inches thick. That set me back about $40. Then I was able to use my friend's mill for a paltry 3 lunches (two Subway and one Vietnamese noodles). Someone on this site had mentioned if casting a part, use as little metal as possible. If machining a part, remove as little as possible. Sage advice, and voila a new bullet proof control head. I probably would have gladly paid $200 for a quick fix.

Attachments

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Just got my shifter and throttle handles powder coated in super chrome. They look like new, two days thirty bucks! image-3252658257.jpg

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
I purchased my H28.5 shifter head with bushings from joe's about 5 years ago. Very happy with their work. Since I'm at the jersey shore, was told that the ambient saltiness would do a job on the shiny smooth Al head so I got it powder coated white (IIRC $45) and it looks great to this day. Highly recommend doing the powder coating asap.

Dec 14, 2003
Just got my shifter and throttle handles powder coated in super chrome. They look like new, two days thirty bucks! View attachment 87312
WOW ! Glad that it worked for you too. Quick service and great price. Keep the contact in mind. I'm thinking about getting the turnbuckles done next winter. They are still good but have lost all their shiny appearance.