The sailors mountain.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I haven't put my tray on for three years. But it was 3 against 1 today. The hardest part was putting the damn snowboard on. Use it or lose,...I kept thinking,....and how come she's not groaning?

Snowbowl P T clipping in.jpg

We were joined by our daughter and son, both of which moved back to town this year.

It was like old times. We taught them to ski in Vermont before they could even walk well. Our son went to the dark side (shredding) soon after, and his mother joined him. Our daughter and I stayed with the slats.

I got tired of skiing after 40 years and then took up the snowboard at 58. If you ski, it's not hard to learn to ride a snowboard, if you take it slow at first.

Snowbowl MJ TT top.jpg

It's fun but I love to look out over our sailing grounds from the top. My son followed me to make sure I wasn't going into the trees.

Snowbowl T TT shredding_.jpg

Muscles that haven't been used started to complain after a few runs.

MJ TT T chairlift.jpeg

Not these two. Our son flies on a snowboard, our daughter flies by him on skis. But they slowed down for a few shots.

Snowbowl TT P T shredding.jpg

It's a little harder at 68, but, what the heck.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Is that Camden, Tom? I seem to remember a day there about 45 years ago, but I could be wrong.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Is that Camden, Tom? I seem to remember a day there about 45 years ago, but I could be wrong.
Yes, Camden Snowbowl. We now have 2 chairs now, the newer (a triple) goes to the top.

Plus they have installed significant snow making in the last decade. It would even be open without that this season. It's been cold but hardly any snow.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I haven't put my tray on for three years. But it was 3 against 1 today. The hardest part was putting the damn snowboard on. Use it or lose,...I kept thinking,....and how come she's not groaning?

View attachment 190012

We were joined by our daughter and son, both of which moved back to town this year.

It was like old times. We taught them to ski in Vermont before they could even walk well. Our son went to the dark side (shredding) soon after, and his mother joined him. Our daughter and I stayed with the slats.

I got tired of skiing after 40 years and then took up the snowboard at 58. If you ski, it's not hard to learn to ride a snowboard, if you take it slow at first.

View attachment 190013

It's fun but I love to look out over our sailing grounds from the top. My son followed me to make sure I wasn't going into the trees.

View attachment 190014

Muscles that haven't been used started to complain after a few runs.

View attachment 190015

Not these two. Our son flies on a snowboard, our daughter flies by him on skis. But they slowed down for a few shots.

View attachment 190016

It's a little harder at 68, but, what the heck.

Hate to admit it, it pains me to see these photos and think about the days when I used to ski. Those days are long past, too many trips down the hill in the toboggan (x2), too many days dragging plaster around, and when it ruined a sailing trip to the VIs, well, time to hang it up.

Enjoy the snow! :beer:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
What a great place to live.
I left my boards at Bromley on my last sojourn before moving south. Now the program is fly to snow, ski, fly home to the Sun. Friends in VT say conditions have been outstanding. Covid has put a damper on my program. If I can get a vaccination I may go up in March. Tomorrow 7 am is another opportunity to make an appointment.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
We cross county ski maybe once per year. This picture is from today cross country skiing on a frozen lake in Colorado where we sail in the summer. Winds made it seriously cold.. I felt like it was survival getting back to the truck LOL. Even the dog acted like it was too cold.

Elevenmile2_4_21_1.jpg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I haven't been to the Colorado slopes ib a few years. I sold my gear when I was getting comments on my long, thin skis and rear entry boots. I rent the newer gear when I go.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Not to hijack the thread, but BBBBBRRRRRRR.....

I took my annual pilgrimage to Maui, HI...

I hate cold and snow;-)

865F912B-81EE-4672-9A89-1464F557B4B2.jpeg D141336B-94CB-478A-B3B4-FFD982A2A159.jpeg BEFE995E-250E-46B5-98F9-47AB19429594.jpeg

Quiet beaches, many closed businesses, everyone wearing masks. But most restaurants have reopened for dining...and we are finding all the Happy Hours!

And as every year, the humpback whales are plentiful and we are getting on the water every few days to do some whale watching...

D5998BA8-DC4B-4405-BF00-A367AF3A4F2A.jpeg

But there was snow on Haleakala the other morning...
6B23E68C-2403-4DB6-8B74-6AADEFE49295.jpeg

Back to reality soon...sounds like subzero temps in the Midwest...on top of the snow they got...yippee.

Greg