the new designs are way better ...........

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
same as a B-40 hinckley ;) ish. i am impressed with this new design. it stirs the juices.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I did not like the line stowage and the Starboard deck window near them.
In the video, one crew put the winch handle on it.:facepalm:

A lot of teak to sit on.:(

The bow did nose down on the reach.

Oh no... in-mast furling too.:beer:

It would appear difficult to leave the cockpit to go forward.

Did I hear 17 million Euros as price? 1 Euro = $1.2USD, I hope my hearing was off.
Jim...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Base was about 155,000 Euro, as tested about 250,000 British Pounds. Around $350K US
I stopped watching the video a few minutes in as I asked myself “ Do you seriously think you would buy a new (and expensive) boat?”. And the answer in my head was “ I like my ’good old boat’ and she is paid for!” .

Greg

May 25, 2012
1615675002517.png

tom, that ascow has a wide stern. love the wide stern. wide stern has a great ride. wide stern is fast. form and function are beautiful things.

you want a narrow stern? great, butt you better have a narrow midsection to please me.

aeolus has a wide ish stern. it's old school and i do so love the motion. if you push the boat. gotta push aeolus hard back against mother nature.

that bavaria looks like an easily driven hull to me.

the 'Irish express' you could name her. start running the atlantic

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
View attachment 191480

tom, that ascow has a wide stern. love the wide stern. wide stern has a great ride. wide stern is fast. form and function are beautiful things.

you want a narrow stern? great, butt you better have a narrow midsection to please me.

aeolus has a wide ish stern. it's old school and i do so love the motion. if you push the boat. gotta push aeolus hard back against mother nature.

that bavaria looks like an easily driven hull to me.

the 'Irish express' you could name her. start running the atlantic
I thought you were having fun with us, Jon. :)

So the pizza slice shape is fast, that's great. Plus the designers put in hard chines (deep dish pizza slice). Why? More berth space primarily.

To me, it's an amazing 'interior' in that 3 double bedrooms - two are 'ensuite' - are fit inside a 42'er!

For running the Atlantic, it better be fast because it doesn't look like it has much storage. I see one good seaberth on each tack. No sea-going ventilation (AC maybe?)

I think for a charter boat it's a great idea. For how we sail, I guess my wife and I could AirB&B two cabins and make some $$$. :) Crossin the Atlantic, not a good design me thinks.

1615722007893.png

May 25, 2012
OK, cross it off the list of things i'm not buying anyway. i did like the video of it sailing. looked to have a nice motion.

the boat didn't pass the 'TOM' test. that's good enough for me ;)

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
OK, cross it off the list of things i'm not buying anyway. i did like the video of it sailing. looked to have a nice motion.

the boat didn't pass the 'TOM' test. that's good enough for me ;)
Truth is, I didn't see it sailing. I may have fallen in love with that. :) But I like boats, even if they don't look like one.

May 25, 2012
..... and i never looked at interior. funny.
never liked the ride on a ior style hull. old J35 , great boat, won races, very popular, just was too wiggle waggle in a seaway for what i prefer. wide beam, narrow stern, not the buoyancy in the bow i'm used to.

just opinions, not facts

the wider sterns seem to have calmed the motion on these lighter more voluminous vessels that the public wants. they are all faster too. speed is nice.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
..... and i never looked at interior. funny.
never liked the ride on a ior style hull. old J35 , great boat, won races, very popular, just was too wiggle waggle in a seaway for what i prefer. wide beam, narrow stern, not the buoyancy in the bow i'm used to.

just opinions, not facts

the wider sterns seem to have calmed the motion on these lighter more voluminous vessels that the public wants. they are all faster too. speed is nice.
The other thing I noticed about the new B42, is how little it costs. 300 - 350K isn't little, but for a new 42' build, it's cheap. About half of a semi custom boat these days of that size.

J35 is classic today! I sailed with a friend who owned one. He was faster by a minute a mile. That never made a whole lot of difference sailing together. We get some winds here that would plane the B42, but you'll be waiting quite often,...then, you have to be going the right way.

Boat Club, masks J-Boat classic.jpg