The New APSLTD - Apparel Only?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I've found Annapolis Performance Sailing LTD has been a great resource for line and hardware. Great selection guides, great phone support and often I could find things on their site I couldn't find elsewhere.

Now that is all going to end. I just found an email from this morning announcing:
The New APS!
They are now going to focus on apparel and no longer will offer electronics, hardware or line.
What a disappointment they going the way of WM.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Though I've never shopped there I agree it's disappointing to lose another seller in that space. Their website doesn't seem to have caught up yet; it still advertises line and products like that. Their History page even still has statements like "(APS) will continue to provide the widest selection of quality sailing specific products and services for apparel, line, hardware, and rigging at competitive prices."

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
WTF??? I saw that "new aps" banner and I can't believe it. I've purchased lots of stuff from them over the years, always liked their customer service, but NEVER bought any clothing.... jeez...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Got the same email yesterday and was disappointed. They were a great resource for line and parts and their support videos were very helpful.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
They seem to have line a bit cheaper for what they have left too.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We still have SBO!
The markup of apparel must be sky high. It's systematic of the so called "New Economy" that real products which employ skilled workers give way to faux businesses that employ people in third world countries and over charge customers in developed countries. It just seems upside down. It's the same thing at Dick's Sporting Goods. It's really a clothes store and even the Bass Pro Shop type store is a clothes store that sells some canoes. It's more of a Outdoor Shoppatainment store. And we all know what happened at West. I guess the business model comes from Nike.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
APL is in the heart of Eastport/Annapolis. The Annapolis waterways are turning into SUPs, kayaks, and anything else without an engine that is human propelled. I have to dodge them everytime I come home after a cruise.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm still waiting for them to complete an order for some wrap pins I placed before this announcement came out. They accepted my VISA quick enough!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
They had some great prices on line after the announcement.. I ordered some more genoa sheets .. we'll see how it goes. I have dealt with them in the past and had no problems..

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
They had some great prices on line after the announcement.. I ordered some more genoa sheets .. we'll see how it goes. I have dealt with them in the past and had no problems..
They completed a previous order quick enough. I just wonder if this change will end up as a refund. I sent a reply to them this morning to see if they have any updates on my order. I have a another source if it comes to it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
They completed a previous order quick enough. I just wonder if this change will end up as a refund. I sent a reply to them this morning to see if they have any updates on my order. I have a another source if it comes to it.
My pins are on the way! I almost missed the chance to order them.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
That's definitely sad. It's a tough space with a shrinking recreational boating market on one side and Amazon on the other.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Well, that stinks. Been one of my go to's for a very long time.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
This is heartbreaking.
That seems like a rather extreme response, to me. How would you feel if your dog died?

Seriously, retailers come and go, it's part of the natural ebb and flow of commerce. New retailers might fill the gap, new channels will emerge. Maybe better. Probably better. Probably different.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
It's a tough space with a shrinking recreational boating market
Recreational Boating Market Size 2019 Global Industry Report, Statistics | Forecast To 2024
May 16, 2019 (Heraldkeeper via COMTEX) -- North America recreational boating market will witness high growth owing to developed water sports industry and increasing number of sailing, leisure, and sports activities. Prominent marine industry particularly in the U.S. and Canada coupled with active participation in the region will positively stimulate industry size over the forecast time frame.

Request For Sample Copy Of This Report

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Lies, damned lies and Statistics “ is a phrase attributed by Marck Twain to Benjamin Disraeli; though it is not certain. Since then, the phrase has been pronounced many times to express contempt for contemptious arguments “reinforced” data.​
The trouble with using statistics to support an opinion you agree with is that it can lead you in an unexpected or even desired direction.

When forming an opinion one needs to be able to clearly identify the objective.

In the above case both @jviss and @Phil Herring are correct and supported by marketing opinion about the boat industry. What?

Sure. Here is what I would look at as a forecast for the industry https://boatingindustry.com/top-sto...stry-growth-slows-as-business-horizon-clouds/
The sited forecast may help explain if you are in the sail segment of the industry you feel depressed and may want to change your direction to the power side and boats bigger than 16ft.

Examining APS’s change decision with the decline in sail boat market and the appeal of clothing expanding markets as well as the fact that power and sail boat users wear pretty much the same clothing not to speak about the wannabe public it probably was an easy sale to their leadership to change. A silver lining to their growing woes. But clothing trends are known to be fickle. Time will tell.

So Phil was correct (in my opinion) that the general market trend of the sail boat industry is waning. And jviss is correct when looking at the general boat trends especially the power boat side. This is supported by the experience of my friends in the aluminum power boat manufactured segments. Certainly evidenced by the volume and crowd participation observed at the Seattle Boat Show over the past 3 years.

Wasn’t it only 14 months ago that word out of West Marine by the board was a decision to shift from boat parts to clothing. They hired a Target Store CEO. Moved and expanded clothing in the stores. Then CEO was changed and new Canadian money acquired the store. Who knows where it will go now.

In my opinion the sail boat industry will continue contracting unless there is a significant increase in new young sailors to the sport.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If it's any support to the proposed trend, marina operators prefer stinkpots because they spend money there. i.e. fuel.

edit: woohoo! i can post now! :p

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If it's any support to the proposed trend, marina operators prefer stinkpots because they spend money there. i.e. fuel.

edit: woohoo! i can post now! :p
When I have talked with Marina owners they prefer to have sailors as they are easier to deal with and cause fewer issues, except they don't spend money. So they need not want, powerboats to stay in business. And I'm sure there are some exceptions to that observation.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
The sited forecast may help explain if you are in the sail segment of the industry you feel depressed and may want to change your direction to the power side and boats bigger than 16ft.
Remember, that's a forecast. Here are actuals in recent history:

"Compared to 2017, sailboat sales were up 18 percent in 2018 to the highest unit volume in four years, primarily reflecting a rebound in sales of smaller sailboats less than 12’. Imports of sailboats into the U.S. were also up 34 percent in 2018."

2018 Statistical Abstract: Sailboat Sales Trends Report Now Available