The New APSLTD - Apparel Only?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...When I have talked with Marina owners they prefer to ... have sailors as they are easier to deal with and cause fewer issues, ... And I'm sure there are some exceptions to that observation.
Forumite Roger Long once pondered, "I like power boats but I bought a sailboat so I could hang out with a better class of people". Fair winds, Roger- wherever you are.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Forumite Roger Long once pondered, "I like power boats but I bought a sailboat so I could hang out with a better class of people". Fair winds, Roger- wherever you are.
"Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?" . I said that once while I passed alongside another sailboat. The crew laughed. Powerboats make too much noise to converse. ;)

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I agree sailors are more laid back, which is what I enjoy. However I have also noticed they are more on the anal side.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Then CEO was changed and new Canadian money acquired the store. Who knows where it will go now.
Interesting given there is not a West Marine store in Canada. I looked but could only find that the new owners were Monomoy Capital Partners (“Monomoy”), a New York-based private equity fund. Could you steer me to your source?

Oct 11, 2008
- - Waterford
Seriously, retailers come and go, it's part of the natural ebb and flow of commerce. New retailers might fill the gap, new channels will emerge. Maybe better. Probably better. Probably different.
How true, how true.
My growing list:
Layline
Consumers Marine
International Sailing Products
Manhattan Marine
JSI
Bliss
Goldbergs
E&B Marine
Coast Navigation
Shane’s Marine
Outer Banks Outfitters
SailNet
BoatUS
Post Marine
BoatFix.com
Boaters World
M&E Marine
Lewis Marine (Greenport, NY)
Kettenburg Marine

Miller Marine (NY)
JT’s Chandlery (RI)
Brewer’s (NY)
Griffith’s Marine (NY)
Chicago Yacht Supply

BoatScape
Land’s End

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Interesting given there is not a West Marine store in Canada. I looked but could only find that the new owners were Monomoy Capital Partners (“Monomoy”), a New York-based private equity fund. Could you steer me to your source?
WM closed all their stores in Canada a few years ago.

Monomoy is your basic leveraged buy out fund. They bought out Oneida Silversmiths a few years ago, loaded it with debt, and closed the local factory. It was the last table ware company manufacturing in the US. The now out of work management bought the factory and is trying to restore flatware manufacturing in the US.

Oneida was the result of a 19th century commune, the Oneida Community. It is/was about 50 miles from my home.

How true, how true.
My growing list:
Layline
Consumers Marine
International Sailing Products
Manhattan Marine
JSI
Bliss
Goldbergs
E&B Marine
Coast Navigation
Shane’s Marine
Outer Banks Outfitters
SailNet
BoatUS
Post Marine
BoatFix.com
Boaters World
M&E Marine
Lewis Marine (Greenport, NY)
Kettenburg Marine

Miller Marine (NY)
JT’s Chandlery (RI)
Brewer’s (NY)
Griffith’s Marine (NY)
Chicago Yacht Supply

BoatScape
Land’s End
Some of those, E&B, Goldbergs, BoatUS were bought by West Marine.

Aug 14, 2019
Tartan 34c Toms River
What possibly could you mean by that? :poke:
Just because the jib has to be set just so to eeekkkk out the very last ounce of wind power... I think of my self as persnickety (requiring a particularly precise or careful approach.)... :laugh:
My my don't get so defensive! It is my personal observation having been on both sides for over 50 years.

Nov 4, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Catawba Island, OH
It is sad to see another outdoor sports company become a retailer of athleisure wear.

We can sit here and discus market forecast, trends and lament the demise of yet another sailing retailer. But, even I must admit, power boats are sexy. Sexy sells. Particularly to some dumb joker with too much money and a blonde trophy wife.

I am sadden every time I pass a marina and can count the number of sailboats on one hand. I am sadden to call around to area marinas only to be told that, no, they could not take my 5' draft. I am sadden - though, I have achieved my boyhood dream of owning a sailboat - that sailing is being taken over by power boats, bass boats, personal water craft, etc. I am sadden that anyone can take the Power Squadron ABC course, shove a key in an ignition and to hell with everyone else.

I don't know where sailing is going. I'm sadden by what I see.

Alec

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My scar pins from APS arrived yesterday. That completes the sizes I need for my turnbuckles