The dumbest thing I've done

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
So back in 2003 I got hit in the face with a 24 foot long steel boom pole I made to lift drywall up to the second story of my house. Long story. Anyway, I wound up getting hit in the face by it hard enough to lift me 4 feet off the ground and throw me back 8 feet. It broke the roof of my mouth, slashed my upper lip, and rearranged all my teeth.
Over the next year or so I broke the corners off of several teeth because they did not mesh correctly anymore. One day while flying I was shooting a ILS approach in less than ideal conditions while chewing gum and broke the edge off a molar. Once I got on the ground, in pain, I went to the dentist. He ground around on it to smooth it up and took impressions. Told me to come back the next day for the cap. That night it was driving me crazy because the edge was so sharp and my tongue would not stop trying to cut itself in half on it. So being the handy type, I get out my dremel with the flex shaft and by golly I was gonna fix it. Oh Hell! Let's just say a dremel is not a dental device. After several failed attempts with different bits there was too much blood to be able to continue as visibilty was as greatly reduced.
The next morning at the dentist he said open up. One look in my mouth and he said "What the hell happened in there!!!" Wish I had his response on tape when I explained to him what had transpired over night. He still laughs about it when I see him.

Sam

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That night it was driving me crazy because the edge was so sharp and my tongue would not stop trying to cut itself in half on it. So being the handy type, I get out my dremel with the flex shaft and by golly I was gonna fix it.
I think, as Health Care gets more expensive and insurance harder to get, we will hear more stories like that. I have an anatomy book; with enough alcohol and a sharp knife, I know I can DIY an appendectomyo_O. But, so I can talk about on this thread, I think I'll have to wait to do it on my boat in 8' seas and 30 knots of wind.:eek:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Untied the bow line first in a U shaped slip facing a strong current. The stern line held with the boat now at 90 degrees to the current. I'm not sure why the line held. I nearly couldn't pull the bow back in. This was with guests (witnesses) aboard.

Ken

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
first mate gets back on course (still at 5-6 knots!) and throws me the bailer.
running over the anchored boat in front of all my friends
This was with guests (witnesses) aboard.
It seems clear to me, that, without witnesses, you can't truly claim to have done something stupid.:eek: Maybe you did something dangerous, something thoughtlessly, something damaging, but if it wasn't seen or the body wasn't discovered afterwards, nothing stupid happened here;).

- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
What is that? It's not a mariner, but it looks a lot like one. I'd be interested in that bow roller and stantions. Maybe the pulpits too.
Definitely not interested in the mast but everything else looks great. Well, the trailor needs attention and the spreaders are shot. As the C W McCall song goes, "outside of that, she's cherry.":rolleyes:
You are going to fix her up and sail her, not sell her, right?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Soooo, you think I would sell off my money pit over a stupid little thing like a bent mast?
A dumb mistake I will not be repeating.

All of the other sore points you mentioned have also since been addressed :)

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I think, as Health Care gets more expensive and insurance harder to get, we will hear more stories like that. I have an anatomy book; with enough alcohol and a sharp knife, I know I can DIY an appendectomyo_O. But, so I can talk about on this thread, I think I'll have to wait to do it on my boat in 8' seas and 30 knots of wind.:eek:

-Will (Dragonfly)
I hear you Will. I lacerated the top of my head a while back. Had to get it stapled shut in the ER. They told me to come back in 2 weeks to get them taken out. Being a tightwad I was not going to pay the er to have them take them out. Who knew Amazon carried the staple installer preloaded and the remover? 2 days later I had my tools. A week later I was over them and proceeded to use my remote inspection camera clamped to a shelf in my workshop with the camera pointed down at the top of my head. It took a few minutes to figure out how to do it but after the first one it was a breeze!
I now carry the staple installer in all my first aide kits, jut in case I need them again. It is just a matter of time!

Sam

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I was about 16 years old and nominated To be hoisted to the top of the mast in a bosun chair to repair wind vane.
Finished repair and main halyard got jammed at the top of the mast and could not be lowered. I had to cut the main halyard free and come down on secondary safety halyard.
So far everything is going ok no worries. Started to cut away at the main halyard but was making very little headway due a dull pocket knife and bad angle.

Decided the it would much easier to just slash at it with my Rambo knife instead a the small dull pocket knife I had been using before.
Well after about two good strong whacks with the Rambo knife it cut thru the main halyard with ease. Unfortunately I also managed to cut thru my safety as well. :stupid:

Fell approximately 50 feet to the deck. Ouch!!!
Fortunately no broken bones just some bumps and bruises.
Still to this day I don't know how I didn't end up in the hospital.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I was about 16 years old and nominated To be hoisted to the top of the mast in a bosun chair to repair wind vane.
Finished repair and main halyard got jammed at the top of the mast and could not be lowered. I had to cut the main halyard free and come down on secondary safety halyard.
I was 13. My mother came home to the boat one day, shopping bags in her arms. Just before she stepped aboard, I yelled at her because I didn't want her to discover me on her own. I had shimmied up the 48' mast, my bare feet stuck very well to the painted aluminum. I was sitting on the flat masthead like I was in a bar stool.
"WILLY, COME DOWN FROM THERE RIIIIGHT NOWWW! No wait, don't move, let me get my camera. "

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I was 13. My mother came home to the boat one day, shopping bags in her arms. Just before she stepped aboard, I yelled at her because I didn't want her to discover me on her own. I had shimmied up the 48' mast, my bare feet stuck very well to the painted aluminum. I was sitting on the flat masthead like I was in a bar stool.
"WILLY, COME DOWN FROM THERE RIIIIGHT NOWWW! No wait, don't move, let me get my camera. "

- Will (Dragonfly)
:worthless:

LOL!!!

Sam

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
So far everything is going ok no worries. Started to cut away at the main halyard but was making very little headway due a dull pocket knife and bad angle.

Decided the it would much easier to just slash at it with my Rambo knife instead a the small dull pocket knife I had been using before.
Well after about two good strong whacks with the Rambo knife it cut thru the main halyard with ease. Unfortunately I also managed to cut thru my safety as well. :stupid:

Fell approximately 50 feet to the deck. Ouch!!!
Fortunately no broken bones just some bumps and bruises.
Still to this day I know how I didn't end up in the hospital.
This reminded me of a good one I managed to do last year. Somehow our jib halyard wound up at the top of the mast. Crap. No problem I told Cindy. I would just hoist her up to the top of the mast as she wore my climbing harness, she grabs the halyard, I gently lower her back down.
The day comes, I suit her up in the harness, and start hoisting. All goes well, I easly hoist her up, she grabs the halyard, and then I do something really stupid. I cleated off the main halyard so I can go get my camera to I capture this moment in time, Cindy up the mast. Let me just say in our years together Cindy has never raised her voice at me like she did when she found out what I was doing. I am pretty sure everyone in the marina, the beach, and campground heard her very clearly tell me in a voice that made it very clear that I better let her down that second or else!!!
Oh the memories!

Sam

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
that made it very clear that I better let her down that second or else!!!
And yet, you are here to tell the tale. I'd say you were luckier than 16 year old Robbie.:laugh:
Oh, and if I'm to judge? You win this thread's Dumbest Sailor award.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Maybe @LeslieTroyer ’s idea of electrically heated socks while at the helm will get him into the top 10 for this thread. That is if we can take a good wave over the stern.
My camera is ready. I’ll have the anti shake option on full cause I’m sure I’ll be incapacitated by laughter.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
A few years ago.....

I move my boat from mooring to dock and I spend an hour or so scrubbing. A nice breeze came up, so after the boat looked reasonable (not great but it's more fun to sail than clean) I decided to go for a sail. The boat was facing east, and the wind was just north of east at about 10 kts. I got all ready to sail (winch handles out, lines ready, sail cover off, engine on, etc.) and then decided that since I was already head to wind, I would raise the main while still at the dock.

My plan was to release the main sheet, raise the main, step off boat and onto dock. Release bow line, let the wind blow the bow off the dock, release stern line, climb aboard and sail away. It all worked fine: main sheet off and main up, main luffing a bit. Then I released the bow line and the bow started blowing off.

Then it all went to crap

The blow moved away the dock, but quickly. So instead of strolling back to the aft line I planned, I ran back and quickly released it. But the boat, instead of just pivoting to starboard like I wanted, started to sail away with out me! I gave a good tug on the dock line, but the boat was leaving the dock, with me or without me. I did not want to lose the boat so I jumped and grabbed the stern pulpit. I slipped a little, but I was able to scamper aboard. I reached the wheel and all was well after that. Once aboard I saw that the main sheet had a kink in it, so once the boat was off the wind, the sheet didn't run out, but instead the main started to power up.

The 'funny' thing was that two people in a rowboat got to see the whole thing. I saw them starting to row away from the dock but I had already released the bow line. The boat was trying to run them down, but the guy rowing wisely backed off. Once I was at the wheel they congratulated me on a 'nice save' but I was too busy feeling like an idiot to thank them.

Barry
Great story Barry....... I won’t tell anybody. Good save.

Greg

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Apparently the dumbest thing I've ever done related to boating was to fail to unkeel my boat on a sandbar the second day I owned it. I could have had a bunch of people I never met send me a lot of money, and gotten a much bigger boat for a dollar.