The admiral says size does matter...

Dec 28, 2009
Catalina 320 Cape Coral, FL
buy a Catalina 320 !!

Congrats on having a wife who will sail with you! My husband has decided he is NOT getting back aboard my boat except for FUN club cruises to marinas! arggggggg

And its not boat size that counts, its the size of the cockpit.....[/QUOTE]

We live in SW FL and it IS the cockpit size that matters! Check out the 320's that were built between 1995 and 2008. Draft varies from 4'3" to 4' 10", so be careful if draft is an issue like it is for us.

Best wishes!!

captain Diane
S/V Windy City
racing spinnaker now! woohoo!

Aug 3, 2009
Catalina 30 Everett, WA
KP,

I've read the posts, and there seems to be a pattern here guys.
My thoughts & prayers go out to all sailing husbands everywhere.

Women are more attuned to comfort, safety & amenities not like us (just pee in the bushes) guys. We're just not that particular.

My approach would be to have your wife pick out the boat or style she LIKES, albeit with exceptions. But hey guys, marriage is all about compromise. Take it from a never married soul, don't make them mad.

For me, the upfront important issues are spacious cockpit, headroom, roomy companionway with a 3 step maximum ladder, in-cabin headroom & easy deck navigation. One drawback on my C30 (1980) is narrow decking to get past the stays.

But you know what, women put so much more in a relationship. They deserve to be spoiled sometimes.

CR
So how do I convince my husband that he really likes to take me sailing. He has found one excuse after another. We have owned the same boat for 14 years: a Catalina 30. I love to sail. My husband seems to attempt to make things as uncomfortable as possible for me so I will be discouraged and not want to go. He loved to sail until we got married and bought our own boat. Now it sits at the dock and I pay the moorage fees which aren't cheap. Should I trade him in for someone like you guys? I see so many men at our marina trying to make sailing fun and comfortable for their wives. It just makes me so sad!

Aug 3, 2009
Catalina 30 Everett, WA
I thought I posted a reply, but I don't see it now. I wish that I could transform my husband into one of you guys. My husband knew that I loved to sail. Before we were married, we sailed almost every day, in someone else's boat. After we were married, I bought a 30' Catalina. We have spent a lot of $$ upgrading it and have owned the same boat for 14 years. Whenever I suggest working on the boat, it usually ends with a fight. Should I trade in my husband?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Stupid husband

So how do I convince my husband that he really likes to take me sailing.
Difficult issue. Have you considered taking HIM sailing?

In response to your second post:

1. Yes, trade him in or train him.

2. Or grab one of us. :dance:

Have you yet figured out what is problem is? Sometimes larger boats give some skippers the Captain Bligh syndrome.

Has he taken the boat out himself?

Is he plain scared? That's what usually is exhibited as his behavior.

Good luck.

Stick around.

BTW, nice boat.

Jan 2, 2013
Hunter 23.5 Lafayette, LA
Trade him in for a new model. Just joking find someone to go sailing with. Life is short.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Look

Look for other people to go sailing with on your boat and join maybe a sailing club and ask around Marina for men or women to go sailing on your boat.
Maybe he will come around or find out what's going on with him.
Nick

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Re: Look

what ever you do just make sure you don't sail to spite anyone or any situation...always try to make good karma.....

regards

woody

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The new neighbors have two Cadillacs. An SUV with "Admiral" tags. The wife's sedan, "Admeral". And then the fight began....

Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
Are you sure you're talking about sailing?
too good man.

this is so sad about the husband tho, i watched something like this and unfortunately i have to say you gotta decide what you value more, sailing or your marriage, ill say this too, you will find someone that shares your love of sailing and loves you the same. personally i would talk to him and see if he just stresses while sailing your boat, i know i do, its a huge investment and ppl are dumb, when im out im always on high alert trying to make sure we stay safe and make a smooth passage, after a while it gets to you.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A Catalina 30 is a single-handing boat. Doesn't matter if you are a woman.

• People having fun are attractive and fun to be around. You start enjoying your boat and see what develops. Go sailing.
  • Don't expect anyone to help you work on your boat, unless you pay them. Now, if you make it fun, or buy the drinks...the Tom Sawyer Effect happens.
  • Being a good single-hander, makes you a much better team sailor. You see three moves ahead and better tolerate mistakes by the less experienced sailors. You become way more fun to sail with. An owner should be able to sail their boat by themselves.
  • I am not comfortable with this "Admiral" stuff. It portrays the clueless stereotype Flag officer unfamiliar with the workings of a vessel. All crew members deserve the attention, respect, and concern of the Captain. Prima-donnas are bad for morale, just as bad as a bully Skipper. Women who are predisposed to soft people skills, relationship, and consensus make natural Captains. A different leadership style capable of creating immense mission loyalty.

Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
id like to offer a caveat, on the single handing makes you a better team sailor, i will agree that it makes you more independent and capable, however alot of singlehanders ive sailed/raced with are a little too slow and careful in a high pressure environment, not that its a horrible thing but when you are on a collision course with a boat 20 yards on the bow and you are traveling on a beat at 9kts and someone is double checking then visually confirming their next action before a final check instead of just doing what needs to be done it can quickly make things worse.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Admiral

Why do sailors call their wifes "the admiral"?.......
This made me chuckle, too. In general, it is acknowledgement that the Admiral outranks the Captain.

richk

Jan 24, 2007
Marlow-Hunter 37 Deep Creek off the Magothy River off ChesBay
I echo what gunni said. Folks want to return to a happy ship. That's what it's all about.

Tricia

Jun 4, 2004
Freedom 30 Victoria, BC
Windcat, consider getting in touch with Nancy Erley (tethysoffshore.com) and asking her to either help you with single handing (if you need help) or work with the two of you together. She's an excellent teacher and very skilled at working with couples. Hope you can figure things out. Having to choose between spouse and sailing is a tough one.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i have given you the only advice i have...the reason for it is that you sound like you want to stay married and sail the rest of your days.....my advice would only get you through about 17 years of marriage (thats how long i was married) so find some one with a lot more time at it than i ...and good luck on working things out.....

regards

woody

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Maybe your ad posted on the marina bulletin board would get his attention..

"Crew wanted:6 ft. tall,trim ,full head of hair"::)