The admiral says size does matter...

Feb 16, 2011
Macgregor 26X Michigan City, IN
Well, yeah.... :)

Suggestion - rent or borrow a larger boat and invite her along - I'd be glad to help IF you live on the south side.

No sense in getting a larger boat and have her "change her mind". :naughty:

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2007
Hunter 310 Boulder Marina, Carlyle Lake
Sounds like there are several similar stories. I would highly recommend that she drive most of the time. I can be just as involved with sail trim as I could steering. It's nice to share responsibilities.

ENeedz

Apr 1, 2009
Oday 28 Salem, MA
Holy Crap. I thought I was all alone on this.

I have a Hunter 22 that I loved to sail. The Admiral would reluctantly come out with me for a few hour day sail. Longer sails or overnights were out of the question. She could never relax, would never have a cocktail. Refused to use the port-a-let.

She could tell I was getting frustrated by always sailing alone. One day in late September she said "Why don't you look for a bigger boat." Thinking she was just toying with me a let it pass. About a week later she send me a bunch of links to larger boats for sail in the area. I thought about it for a while, then turned to her a said, "I don't know what you've done with my wife, but I'm down with it." We checked out a couple then finally decided on an Oday 28.
Now we have stand up head room down below, an actual (manual) flush head, running water, a galley, and much more room in the cockpit. She's discovered that sailing is much less stressful if she has a couple of glasses of wine, and even did a three day sail last summer and survived two overnights. As long as she gets a great dinner at the end of the day, and a hot cup of tea in the morning, all is good.

No matter what they all say, size really does matter.

Mar 23, 2007
Hunter 310 Boulder Marina, Carlyle Lake
I took my wife to Florida for sailing lessons even though I'd been sailing and racing for 20 years before we met. I wanted someone else to be the bad guy. This led to us chartering a 35 foot Hunter. (at the time we owned a 26 footer) At the end of the charter, she said " we need a bigger boat". We now own a Hunter 310. Bless her heart.

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 400 Muskegon, Michigan
"As far as birth is concerned, your son was conceived on our Catalina 25, after we found there wasn't enough room to do so on our C22!"

Thank God for the occasional typo!!! I was sitting here feeling pretty glum even though I had my first cup of coffee when I read this post. Thanks for the laugh!!! It was a typo.....right???

Gary

Ed H

Sep 15, 2010
Hunter 33_77-83 Regent Point Marina, Virginia
"As far as birth is concerned, your son was conceived on our Catalina 25, after we found there wasn't enough room to do so on our C22!"
The Admiral has a lot of 'splaining to do....

May 26, 2013
Aquarius A23 Carlyle Lake
bigger boat.

So I've been after my wife to go sailing with me forever, she always has some objection, after pressing her (at great peril to myself) she said she would be claustrophobic in the boat. Now she does have a dislike of elevators and other tight spaces, but I explained to her that, yes, my 22 foot sailboat is 'small' but you sail in the cockpit, not the cabin, and as far as sailboat cockpits go the ODay 22's is roomy, not to mention its open air, the horizon and sky are the limit. No dice.

So as I muse over sailboats online or in magazines that I'd like to own, which is pretty much anything plus 30 with standing room for a 6'3" guy, she will look and say "I'd go sailing with you on that..."

So I've discovered that I'm in a particularly interesting situation here, my wife wants me to buy a bigger boat, in fact, she practically insists on it, as I'm seeing it. This isn't about opulence, although I'm sure that does't hurt, she's a former farm girl, likes camping, doesn't mind roughing it. Maybe she sees bigger boats as 'safer'.

Whatever the reason, for the sake of our marriage I feel I must do what is right.

File this under first world problems.

Now I just need a little extra cash...
I am glad my wife loves our Aquarius A23. She said she wouldn't want any other boat. YA at the marina the bigger the boat the higher the fees are to keep her in a slip. I would show her what it is going to coat per year for a bigger boat. Insurance and all. If you have a slip bring her out to the boat and let her just hang out a while and get used to the boat. Invite friends so that way she wont back out. Do some wine and some snacks and just all hang out and she may feel comfortable to just motor out some. Introduce her slowly and maybe you wont have to buy another boat.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
Re: bigger boat.

My variant of this is that my wife suggested I get a bigger boat for me, but I really got it for her..and others. She likes day sailing but was uninterested in trips of any kind. Once I understood that what I saw as comfort on the Pearson 28-2 was camping to my wife, I started looking at, in a general way, bigger boats. When she said to pull the trigger, I did. And she did go on a couple of small trips last year. The bonus was that the bigger boat was more comfortable when taking out other couples, which she enjoys too. Me, I'm always happy to be sailing.

Aug 16, 2006
Ericson 32 Oregon coast
Look at some 27s up to 30. You can get some

good deals on in the water boats because when people have to sell them they are eager to get out from under the slip fee and other expenses whereas people with trailerable boats let them sit in the driveway and rot away because there isn't any pressure to sell.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 30 Mandeville, La.
Ken,
Last year my wife and I had a similar discussion. I found a C30 in Pensacola that was in the budget. It seemed like there aren't as many older boats in this area for sale as there was prior to Katrina. The c30 was the first boat we looked at including two H31's, an H33, an S2, and another C30. The one we picked needed no major work, had recently rebuilt engine, new air conditioner, clean interior, decent sails, good rigging, stern rail seats, chart plotter, radar, autopilot, fixed VHF, two handheld vhf's, handheld GPS, 6 fenders, bimini and dodger, hot water, electric toilet, beaucoup ( a little south La. lingo)spare parts etc. Everything, I mean EVERYTHING else we looked at was questionable or needed obvious major work. One of the Hunters had what looked like 3 strand nylon rope for halyards, another smelled like diesel, another was too expensive but otherwise clean. One looked promising but the owner showed me the survey from 2010 that indicated moisture at several deck fittings and he did nothing to address it. Some had price tags to matchthe condition and would have been good deals anyway. We had a good time traveling between here and Florida looking at boats and taking short vacations. Then we took our time returning home with the boat. My wife wants to go buy another boat and do it all over again.

I know C30's are common, but if you want to go out on one, it's in Mandeville and has cold beer on board - it also included DC refrigerator.

May 24, 2007
Beneteau 352 Milwaukee, WI
The Admiral did say size matters . . .

We started with a MacGregor 26M on Wisconsin's inland lakes and it was great. The Admiral enjoyed sailing so much that she said it was time for us to take a formal school so she could learn how to handle the boat if I went overboard or got beaned by the boom. We ended up on a week-long live aboard in Washington's San Juan Islands on a Beneteau 361 and she fell in love.

We moved the Macgregor to Lake Michigan and one month into the second season she said; "Paul, I want a bigger boat. The Mac is too tender out here on the big lake." I located our current boat on Lake Michigan, took the Admiral along for a test ride and she said that is the one I can live on. We routinely take off for two-three weeks at a time.

The cost of ownership is something you have to understand and prepare for in advance. Everything is bigger on a bigger boat and has a bigger price tag to repair/replace.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
We started with a MacGregor 26M on Wisconsin's inland lakes and it was great. The Admiral enjoyed sailing so much that she said it was time for us to take a formal school so she could learn how to handle the boat if I went overboard or got beaned by the boom. We ended up on a week-long live aboard in Washington's San Juan Islands on a Beneteau 361 and she fell in love.

We moved the Macgregor to Lake Michigan and one month into the second season she said; "Paul, I want a bigger boat. The Mac is too tender out here on the big lake." I located our current boat on Lake Michigan, took the Admiral along for a test ride and she said that is the one I can live on. We routinely take off for two-three weeks at a time.

The cost of ownership something you have to understand and prepare for in advance. Everything is bigger on a bigger boat and has a bigger price tag to repair/replace.
At'sa smart person...

Feb 18, 2014
Columbia 8.7 Mobile, Ala
We just moved up to a Columbia 8.7 from a beachcat. After two sails she thinks a 35 footer would be better.

Dec 27, 2005
Hunter 36 Chicago
When I was ready to move up from our Hunter 31 we had just come back from chartering a 36' Benny in the BVI's. I was looking at a new H33 because I thought she would be nervous over the cost of something bigger (I was too to be honest). When I was ready to go to the Chicago Sailboat show to talk to the dealer she said "why don't you just look at the H36, you'll never be happy with a smaller boat now". The rest is history.

marian

May 21, 2010
beneteau beneteau 351 Penetanguishene
Paul, same like you. Had a Macgregor 26X for 5 summers, then start
looking for a 30-32 sailboat for more comfort , found this Beneteau 351, the look in my wife eyes..., so in 2010 the 351...,
and we are still in love with this boat.

Marian

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Why do sailors call their wifes "the admiral"?.......

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Are you a married man Joe? While we may be Captain, the Admiral rules all. aka Happy Wife, Happy Life.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
Another site I frequent for home brewing wives are called SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) for the same reason. Acknowledging that we are not the only people in our lives that are involved in the decision and planning of what we do.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland

HAHAHAHAHA you made me laugh.

I asked the same question once too and now my Admiral
has become quite suited to the title...