The ability to communicate on the water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
Most of my high risk sailing was on Dinghies well before there was anything that you could have taken with you to call anybody

At this point there is so much Useless stuff on 16 from such a huge area it just turns into meaningless white noise now that i have a big enough boat to keep one and the teck is there for a handheld

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
As a power boater I maintained and monitored a VHF on channel 16 and considered it the responsibility of every master no mater the size of his craft. I have in my life assisted in two emergencies’s One as a relay for a boat taking on water who’s radio was not able to reach the Coastguard. If every one felt as some do (If I can’t see it it’s not my problem) this incident may have resulted in loss of life. To all who take their responsibilities as Boaters, Yachtsmen, Masters and captains seriously and maintain due vigilance I salute you.
Too the rest:ass:
A moral responsibility!!!!!!! Billbeard couldnt have stated it better.

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
Many boats (mostly smaller) using inland freshwater rivers and lakes don't feel the need for VHF radio capacity that most saltwater boaters do. I'm sure there are also many salt sailors that also don't feel the need. It's not in the laws anymore than life jacket use is. I chose to use both on my little 23 foot screamer just because it feels better.
During a very late season sail in 2008 a fisherman and his wife were the only other boat on our little 20 mile stretch of the northern Columbia River. They were very, very thankfull that we had a VHF radio and in the end so were we.
To each his own and I hope you are the same as us.
Ray

dew

Apr 18, 2010
macgregor 26x lake martin
Just seems like common sense to me.
Some time people do stupid things like driving in fog without headlights on..... It's not so you can see, it's so others can see you.. Common sense dictates carrying a VHF, and using it when on the water. You just never know

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I guess in this discussion I am hopelessly out of date. I don't have much need to call people either at home or while on the boat. I have a cell phone but don't tell my number to many people. I have two land line phones that probably accumulate less than 30 minutes total use each month. My experience with emergencies has shown them to be few and far between. I have seen only one auto accident happen in 55 years and in ten years on the water have never seen an accident and never encountered anyone needing assistance. Except for one bass tournament fisherman who flagged us down and asked for directions. He had neither chart nor compass.

May 7, 2004
Hunter 38 Little River, SC
I have found myself in situations twice where I could and did respond to calls for assistance from other vessels; one involved a tow back to the marina, and one involved looking for and then standing by a capsized skiff until it could be recovered. Neither situation involved injuries or people in the water, did not take an inordinate amount of time, and I did not have to go very far out of my way. I monitor ch 16 and NOAA weather on the base station and 9/13 on a handheld. The handheld is very useful for bridges, other traffic, and contacting marinas for approach and docking instructions. The base station was out for about six months due to a lightning near miss and I felt very naked until I replaced the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.