The ability to communicate on the water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Cherubini 37c HULL#37 Alameda
Anybody care to elaborate on the law regarding having a working VHF on board your boat ?

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
On recreational boats ('unrestricted' - not for hire nor engaged in 'commerce') there is no federal 'requirement' to have a VHF radio ... and if a recreational boat has a VHF, there is no requirement that it to be "ON" and constantly monitoring Ch 16/13.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
IMO and ITU Rule!

In addition to any local or national laws the International Maritime Organisation and the International Telecommunications Union have a comprehensive set of rules. The USA has signed up to all of this so, unless specifically revoked, they apply equally in US waters (other than inland waters).
For convenience the British coastguard agency (Maritime & Coastguard Agency i.e. the MCA) have condensed the most of it into a single Marine Guidance Note No. 324 .
http://www.nautinst.org/ais/PDF/uk_mgn_324.pdf
Makes interesting reading for masters of both both leisure and commercial vessels and some points may come as a surprise.

Oct 22, 2005
Hunter 44DS Redondo Beach, CA
On recreational boats ('unrestricted' - not for hire nor engaged in 'commerce') there is no federal 'requirement' to have a VHF radio ... and if a recreational boat has a VHF, there is no requirement that it to be "ON" and constantly monitoring Ch 16/13.
Though I would add, just because there is no law requiring one doesn't mean it isn't a piece of essential equipment. It is a piece of safety equipment. I wouldn't sail without one.

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
I agree how ya gonna call for the launch......har Red

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I have a VHF transceiver and I rarely turn it on. Sometimes for NOAA weather radio and sometimes when I see a picket boat or CG patrol otherwise I don't want the noise when it breaks squelch.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Your choice

Really it is your choice.

In some part of this country, you have to have snow tire. If you slided into the ditch, you'll get an extra ticket for not having one. Low risk here.

On your boat, unless you got boarded, you're not going to get a warning for not having a VHF. Who's to know.

If you are sinking and don't have a working means to contact CG or anyone else, Darwin has an answer called natural selection.

If you can't afford a $100 VHF, why do you have a boat.

If you have a boat and a VHF and don't turn it on, that's your business. Some of us will stop to assist other motorist but some will just pass on by.

A few people, myself included, came to other's assistance and felt good about it. We heard their call for assistance on the VHF radio.

I hope someone will come to my assistance if I reach out on the VHF.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Re: Your choice

Unless I can see the need for help I can't get there in a reasonable time. I do turn my radio on when i see anything that might require attention. I can sail or motor not more than about 5 miles in an hour and I can see that far.

mel22

Oct 1, 2010
Hunter 22 Lake Dardanelle
Though I would add, just because there is no law requiring one doesn't mean it isn't a piece of essential equipment. It is a piece of safety equipment. I wouldn't sail without one.
I'm happy for you in your freedom to have a radio on your boat, just as I am happy for me to not have one if I wish. Please don't try to make your essential my essential.

Thank you

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
is especcially nice to be able to communicatte with the shrimper who looks like a tug n tow inn middle of night in the gulf. especially when that boat/ship LOOKS like is gonna hit you.
is good to have when ye wanna go thru a lock or railroad bridge or pass a tug n tow in icw. smoke signals are not recognised. also in case your boat begins to take on water or wtf-- how ye gonna call for aid?
is kinda fun to listen to the rescues at sea.... some are rather unique...all are entertainment...

Jun 12, 2010
Oday 22 Orleans Marina, NOLA
I consider a VHF radio an essential piece of safety equipment and can't imagine going out without one. Although I leave mine on I'm not concerned about that so much as my ability to call for help if needed. I guess by leaving it on if I hear an unanswered distress call I could relay the message, but I'm not going to able to render much assistance cruising at 4kts. I'm guess I'm just an old radioman at heart, I hate to waste that fabulous antenna position.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
When we were anchored at Dog Island the first night the box was quiet for the most part. The second night a small plane went down in Mobile Bay. Every ten minutes was a request for search or an update. It may have been necessary, but it never stopped. I can here the transmission of Alabama Alabama etched in my memory.

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
pkdailey4,

In the event of an emergency, and I have heard of plenty of these in the SF Bay, the boat captain calls the coast guard on channel 16. The “first thin” the Coast Guard asks is what is your "exact" latitude and longitude position. Unless you have a gps chartplotter or portable handheld VHF/GPS at the helm you will have to go below and check your charts. This can take some time. A $200 Horizon HX851 VHF/ GPS/Floatable handheld radio is a recommended safety equipment at the helm.I have a gps/chartplotter and Horizon HX851 at the helm and maintain a working VHF radio in the cabin tied into my gps with a dedicated MMSI signal. I also maintain an ACR 2882 AquaLink 406 GPS PLB at the helm that can send a signal to the Coast Guard with my sailboat’s location in the event of an emergency.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
On the Chesapeake bay If i said that iwas at the mouth of the Sassafras river and they asked for lat and lon, I would say standby while I get my sextant out. Then I would check my Garmin 72 and tell them where I was.

Jun 16, 2010
Lancer 25 Newbergh
As a power boater I maintained and monitored a VHF on channel 16 and considered it the responsibility of every master no mater the size of his craft. I have in my life assisted in two emergencies’s One as a relay for a boat taking on water who’s radio was not able to reach the Coastguard. If every one felt as some do (If I can’t see it it’s not my problem) this incident may have resulted in loss of life. To all who take their responsibilities as Boaters, Yachtsmen, Masters and captains seriously and maintain due vigilance I salute you.
Too the rest:ass:

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
correction to Rich H

Rich is correct that recreational boaters are not required to have a radio but if you do have one the regs clearly state that you are required to have it on. It does not specify when you are to have it on though. So do I leave it on when at the slip or while anchored out all night or just when I am "underway" or a hazard to navigation?
I'm with Ross on not listening to the thing as I can't possibly provide assistance unless I can see it. I just turn up the squelch till only the really strong signals get through. The primary one being the weather alert tone that trips the receiver to pick up a local weather alert. also turn down the squelch if I'm on a river with known barge traffic etc. or bridges that need opening. The latter never answer their radio hails and have to be woken up with the horn.
Needless to say we do keep a lookout around the boat at all times when not at anchor.

mel22

Oct 1, 2010
Hunter 22 Lake Dardanelle
To get back to the original question and cut through individual preferance. Why not get a curent copy of " Chapman Piloting" or another simular publication. Then you will have an official answere to all your questions that if boarder by the coast guard will also satisfy one of their usual questions.
Have to admit my copy is old but still usefull.

Jan 22, 2008
Cherubini 37c HULL#37 Alameda
I had a feeling a couple of non conformers would come to the party and that's why I thought I would ask if there was a law. I have 4 different communication devises on board my vessel and have had to use them. I would never leave the dock without them. If you put a gun to my head, I couldn't come up with a single viable excuse for not having at least a working hand held VHF on board when out on the water. It just goes to show that some people believe that bad things only happen to other people. :confused: I don't need laws passed to get me to wear a seat belt, a helmet or be able to call for help for myself or someone else. I refuse to depend on good luck or dumb luck to keep my family and friends safe and alive. I guess I'm just weird that way.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
United States Radio Watchkeeping Regulations 47CFR80

FCC 47 CFR 80.310 ... U.S. recreational vessels NOT required to carry radios:
"Vessels not required to carry a marine radio (e.g. recreational vessels less than 20m length), but which voluntarily carry a radio, must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHz) whenever the radio is operating and not being used to communicate. Such vessels may alternatively maintain a watch on VHF channel 9 (156.450 MHz), the boater calling channel. Note however that urgent marine information broadcasts, such as storm warnings, are announced on channel 9 only in First CG District waters (northern New Jersey, New York and New England)".
Translation: If the radio is ON, and you are not 'communicating' then you need to maintain a 'radio watch' on Ch 16/(alt 09) .... 16 (+9?) in First CG district. If the radio is OFF, then you dont need to maintain a radio watch when you are a operating a "NOT required" vessel . (This 16/09 'watch" requirement is accomplished by "tri" (16/09/13) or "dup" (16/09) scan function on Icom radios.)

FCC 47 CFR 80.148 ... U.S. vessels required to carry a marine radio:
"U.S. vessels required to carry a VHF marine radio, such as commercial fishing vessels, must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHZ) while underway whenever the radio is not being used for exchanging communications".

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
Well, I just had to go get some reference material to look it up and it appears even here in western Canada it is mostly voluntary for small pleasure craft. I can see not having one while out in my canoe paddling swimming distance from shore, it would be difficult to operate one with a paddle in my hand. But when out in my sailboat I am way to far from shore to swim and even if I could attempt it hypothermia would get me first. I sail in the Georgia Strait (PNW) and am usually miles from shore, I would never be without a VHF and I hope all those other boats I see out there have theirs on and are listening like I am. Help is never really that far away because this area is heavily frequented by both pleasure and commercial boaters. Those who are out to win the Darwin award may or may not live to tell about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.