That sinking feelin'..trouble with compression post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
Hello. This thread is actually (started off being) about the sunken deck, and sole of underneath the mast and compression post on my 1984 Oday 26. (it has evovled into what works and does not work as i go about restoring my oday) Could anyone tell me, or give me a picture ofwhat is underneath the sole of my boat? Is there a block of wood or what? For the details of the problem, please see my thread underneath trailer sailors titled "Sea Trek, Trouble with Tabernacles" There i have posted several good photos of the problem which include soft deck underneath the tabernacle, some rot in the small compression post and the bulkhead, and a compression of the sole of the boat. The good people who replied indicated that the deck, compression post, and sole and floor need to be removed. That brings me to the reason for this post. What is underneath the sole of my boat, and how do i go about putting in a new compression post to support the deck repair underneath my tabernacle?
thanks
keith

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
Keith,
I have an O'Day 23 so my advice to you is not apples to apples but it may help. I saw your pictures under trailer sailers and I had simmilar problems with water leaks. I did not have deck compression and my sole was not sucken.

My

Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
Keith,
I have an O'Day 23 so my advice to you is not apples to apples but it may help. I saw your pictures under trailer sailers and I had simmilar problems with water leaks. I did not have deck compression and my sole was not sunken.

My deck was cracked just like yours. I simply covered it with fiberglass cloth and resin, sanded it and painted it along with the entire deck. It does not match the non skit areas of the deck in tecture but nobody has ever noticed the repair.

Second I took out my bulkheads one at a time and restored them. I had rotten areas along the bottom like yours. Over the course of a few weeks I treated the edges with penetrating epoxy than a few coats of varnish and I reinstalled them using fender washers and several additional screws and bolts. I will try to take some pictures of them this weekend and post them for you.

My compression post was simply screwed to the bulkhead panel, as per the advice of others on this site I gently jacked the cabin top up about 3/16 of an inch and I was able to get the bulkhead out very easily. At that point you can decide to restore it or use it as a patern to make a new one.

As far as what supports the sole below the compression post, I truly do not know exactly what is in there. If I lift my bilge plate and look forward I can see some crudely laided fiberglass covering something. Sorry I can't help you any more with that. I will try to poke the camera in there for you also.

Just rember the advice of I think Sailing Dog. Start from the bottom and work your way up. A good house starts with a good foundation. Just look at it as several different jobs not one big one. Take on the sinking sole and bulkhead first than move up on deck. Good Luck

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Keith:

I have an O'Day 26. I do not have pictures. There are two guys on this forum who have gutted the 26 and completely rebuilt interiors. They have pictures.

However, I have partially rebuilt my boat and have had the compression post out. First you need mast off. Then I used a combination hydraulic jack and post to sit jack on to raise cabin roof sufficent to slide post out.

Ooops, first you need to disconnect the cabin roof from bulkheads on both sides. I also removed molding and connections and chain plates bracks from both sides. You have to remove four bolts that hold mast tabernacle in place. Then you can take post out. I repaired and repainted my post while it was out. It had nominal water damage along one lower edge. I used epoxy to repair small damaged area along bottom of post and port bulkhead.

In my opinion repair and not replacement was sufficient. However, on this forum and locally I have seen that on the O'Day 25 which has the exact same bulkheads, the bulkheads need replacement. Very common issue due to water damage on boats this old. Use old bulkheads and post as templates for making new.

All this said, I can see what is under my post with a flashlight by looking in storage compartments under seats. Just take a good flashlight or even ac spotlight and look. I have run a wire down from front storage under V-berth to starboard storage to behind cabin wall to under cockpit. No major obsticles for running wire, just some curves.

My boat has fiberglass support under compression post as part of hull that spot. That is fiberglass to support and distribute load. So, your floor should not flex at the post location. If it does then after you look you can tell us what you are seeing.

Delamination is only thing I can suspect. My boat had no delamination of fiberglass, just some edge damage to post and bulkheads. I repaired the same as Scott, but depending on amount of damage you may have to replace. That means you will have to cut glass tabs that attach bulkhead to hull. Just direct a question to Appleman about that or look at his posts from the past in the archives. He had good pictures. And there was another who did the same thing with a 26, but cannot recall his name.

Ed K
'85 O'Day 26

Oct 2, 2008
thanks for the replies, there are many great ideas here and from my other thread (trouble with tabernacle) at trailer sailor. I now have a much better idea of what is required. I do believe that i can effect the repairs myself, with some finishing help from some buddies who are more experienced fiberglass workers. as soon as i get thru (or before) with my saturday honey-do list, i will go out to the boat and take a good look, and some pictures of the sole, and hopefully, underneath the sole. the hull and keel in that area look intact, with no sign of damage, blisters, or delamination, so i am hopefull that the floor under the sole is intact. then it is a matter of repairing the compression post, possibly bulkhead, and then the deck.
please check back and thanks
keith

Oct 2, 2008
Hi ed,
wen to boat after long day workiing on bathroom remodel project. I tried to get a view of under post, but no access from anywhere. The closest opening is the small round quarter sized holein the bilge leading forward . If i had a colonscope to go into that hole i would be able to see! Lacking that, i took a deep breath and drilled a one inch hole with a blade bit thru the sole just foreward and slightly port of the small compresion post on the forward side of the port bulkhead. What i discoved was that the sole is a sandwich of wood between fiberglass. and sits on something solid there. My conclusioin is that thes sole there, which is sunken in must be soft. However the wood there was not wet or rotted.There ares some cracks on the aft side of the port bulkhead. water may have gotten in here. It is beyond my time and ability to repair the sole. My intention at this point is to repair, and reinforce the port bulkhead by removing the bottom of the bulkhead approx 2.5 innches up from the sole, and run a "fir" piece of teak aloong that edge, routing a notch in the rear edge of the firing peice for the bulkhead to fit into. That will be attached with a suitable glue and an "L" shaped backet. Then I will extend the post to accomodate the restored height in a like manner. That will distribute the weight of the bulkhead along the floor and give new support to the compression post, and thus the deck and mast above.
Before going with that plan, i will see what other ideas come up, and i will check the archives for the two 26's that were rebuilt.
thanks
keith

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Keith,

Does your boat have cushions on the setees? Have you looked under cushions? You should find cut outs that have plywood covers to keep cushions level. Lift cushions on both sides and place in quarter berth. Lift wood covers on both sides and place out of way. Take spot light or good flashlight like big mag lite and put in storage areas, turn light on and stick head in till head touches hull. Face aft and look up in mid line corner. On my boat on the starboard side at that small gap you can see almost all the way back to V-berth bulkhead.

I have seen my configuration on an O'Day 25. That is the O'Day 25 was made the same way.

However, for those of us messing around with the 25's and 26's, have found that all boats were not made from the same molds. There were three plants making the 25. Maybe there were also more than one plant making the 26. Or the 26 was assembled in more than one plant and each plant had its own way of assembly. And assembly changes from one boat to another of the same model in the same plant.

On my boat on the starboard side you can see back with a flashlight in the corner. It is not an easy view. It takes rubber necking. Try again on starboard side. Also put another flashlight on the hole that you drilled to see it you can see the spot.

The next time I go to my boat (which is on trailer in storage), I will look again. I am doing this from memory. But I had no serious trouble fishing a wire for transducer thru this area on the starboard side.

Ed K

Oct 2, 2008
Keith,

Does your boat have cushions on the setees? Have you looked under cushions? You should find cut outs that have plywood covers to keep cushions level. Lift cushions on both sides and place in quarter berth. Lift wood covers on both sides and place out of way. Take spot light or good flashlight like big mag lite and put in storage areas, turn light on and stick head in till head touches hull. Face aft and look up in mid line corner. On my boat on the starboard side at that small gap you can see almost all the way back to V-berth bulkhead.

I have seen my configuration on an O'Day 25. That is the O'Day 25 was made the same way.

However, for those of us messing around with the 25's and 26's, have found that all boats were not made from the same molds. There were three plants making the 25. Maybe there were also more than one plant making the 26. Or the 26 was assembled in more than one plant and each plant had its own way of assembly. And assembly changes from one boat to another of the same model in the same plant.

On my boat on the starboard side you can see back with a flashlight in the corner. It is not an easy view. It takes rubber necking. Try again on starboard side. Also put another flashlight on the hole that you drilled to see it you can see the spot.

The next time I go to my boat (which is on trailer in storage), I will look again. I am doing this from memory. But I had no serious trouble fishing a wire for transducer thru this area on the starboard side.

Ed K
Hi ed K
I got all under the bins but just cant see into the area. i can see that there is a gap there. in the pictures you can see how small the space is. The pic is made with the camerea sitting right at the area. However, my hunch is that the floor sits on a reinfored area that runs athwartships. That area is solid. the sole may be alittle soft. I took another picture of that along with pics of the bulk head. there is some rot in the bulkheads where the bolts for the shroud stays attach. I thing the bulkheads have to be replaced completely. Dang...

Oct 2, 2008
Hi ed K
I got all under the bins but just cant see into the area. i can see that there is a gap there. in the pictures you can see how small the space is. The pic is made with the camerea sitting right at the area. However, my hunch is that the floor sits on a reinfored area that runs athwartships. That area is solid. the sole may be alittle soft. I took another picture of that along with pics of the bulk head. there is some rot in the bulkheads where the bolts for the shroud stays attach. I thing the bulkheads have to be replaced completely. Dang...
Here are the pictures i took the last photo is the deck, at the mast, with the tabernacle and mast plate removed. not the sunken in area
see also the my topic/thread on trailer sailor, "sea trek, the trouble with tabernacles" for other photos.

Attachments

Oct 21, 2005
Oday 26 Indian Cove, Guilford, CT LIS
emergpa, got your note just as we were going out the door on a ski trip for several days. If I stay at a place I can hook up my laptop, I will post some pictures, otherwise sometime Friday. We are now getting the snoqwstorm that hit you yesterday. Eee-ha! Rick

Oct 2, 2008
correction, the picture of the deck where the mast mounts should say "note the sunken area" sorry so sloppy, I was trying to get ready to go to work...my paying job. ha

Oct 2, 2008
Good morning. I hope you folks up the east coast are warm and safe, My son, who is a USAF c17 mechanic, tells me it is pretty snowy in NJ. I have to admit it's a bit chilly in the old south this morning, but will warm up to the 70's for the weekend...unfortunately for me, my boat is out of the water.
My goal today is to closely examine the bulkheads where the chain plates attach, and download the pictures of that area. Then i would like everyone to tell me if i need to repair, or replace. I am very much on my own out here, and your input is extremely valuable. I am wondering and hoping that repair is the way to go, and i wonder if there is a way to repair bulkheads with out removing them from the boat? Anyway. Pictures will be forthcoming soon.
Thanks everyone
keith

Oct 2, 2008
p.s.
ed, appleman wrote and said he could join the thread maybe this friday
thanks
keith

Oct 2, 2008
I am very encouraged about the boat. :) I took the port chainplates loose yesterday and it appears that only the first two bolt holes are soft, (second phot) the rest are ok. also along the base is almost completely solid. I will get a plate made for the bolt heads on the aft side of the bulkhead (last photo). After I get the wood dry, what do i do to make the wood solid again? I have heard there are ways of doing this. I will search the archives for that. Or if someone wants to comment.
What are the recomended ways of reinforcing the bulkhead?

Attachments

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
The decision to repair or replace is yours to make. My comments offer no warrenties or guarentees. Just comments.

I would get several opinions and weigh all information.

I think that it can be repaired. First is you have to kill the mildew/mold in the wood. In the process of doing so, you will ruin the stain of adjacent areas. If you leave mildew/mold in wood it will continue to damage adjacent areas.

There are a products for getting rid of mildew. Remember you have to get beyond the surface. Old fashion bleach works but is alleged to damage cellulose structure. Painters us wood bleach which is not bleach but oxalic acid to kill mildew. There are other products, I leave it to you to search them out.

After mildew removed, there are several products that penetrate into the wood stucture such as 'Get Rot' and 'Rot Doctor'. These are essentially thin epoxy which is drawn into the cellulos stucture. These products have web sites which you should find and study. An example web site is: http://www.rotdoctor.com/

These products are epoxy and as such have a degree of strength. There are other products out there in the home repair and paint departments which are not epoxy based but do penetrate into wood. I recommend for your purposes to stick with epoxy because of its known strength and track record.

When trying to get penetrating epoxy into the wood, many small drill holes will get more into the inner parts of the wood structure. These holes will initially fill then the epoxy is absorbed into adjacent areas. Refill unit they stay filled.

Some repair people use regular epoxy with 10% epoxy thinner to achieve the results of thin epoxy. Keep in mind there are formulated thin epoxies designed thin from the get go.

I would study the West System Web Site and maybe get their book(s) on epoxy repair. There are other good books, articles and web sites that provide good instruction. See: http://www.epoxyworks.com/

Unfortunately products such as 'Get Rot', et al are sold in dinky quanities. There is at least one outfit that will sell thin (read penetrating) epoxy by the quart. That is a funky web site company: http://www.epoxyproducts.com/

I have used their 155 Formula and it does the same job as penetrating epoxy. They also sell a cleaner formula 661 which I highly recommend anytime you are working with epoxies.

While they sell specific tints there are other companies that sell pigments that will work with epoxies. Remember that epoxy will not stain like wood. So the areas that you epoxy and want to eventually look like wood will have to be tinted from the get go. Then the adjacent areas with real wood can be stained.

Good luck if you try the above. If you plan to race, you put a lot of stress on the chain plates and should consider new solid bulkheads to sustain the loads.

Also on the 26 the area under the chain plate coverss is probably destroyed and you need to fill voids with epoxy to restore strength to that area. That is a whole other project that must be done whichever approach you take.

Ed K

Oct 2, 2008
thanks ed, good info. Can the epoxy be applies with the bulkhead inplace? how do i keep it from running down?
Your are right about the area under the chain plate covers. The wood in the core in that area is rotted. I got out what i could with the drill/nail. the rott probably extends beyond that area. I plan on filling that with epoxy. How do i cut out the area for the chain plate when the epoxy dries. there. since it is rectangular, i cant drill it. Do i use a saw? Or is ther something you put in there then remove when the epoxy filler is dry?
lastly. I read as i searched the thread on this topic refernced to a couple of things, but couldn't find details on
1. I heard there was a web site (applemans?) with a lot of pics of a 26 restoration and
2. There is "a place in florida that matches gel coat" but couldn;t find the name./site mentioned
thanks for hanging with me...all help is appreciated
keith

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I just want to point out that I never had rot in my bulkhead or any of the problems that you need to address, but I do have the same chain plates on my O'Day 222 as you have on your 26. What I did was beef up my main bulkhead with oak, and had stainless steel plates made up and welded to my chain plates to keep out moisture. The oak is bolted to the settees, and each of my welded chain plate covers is bolted through the deck with backup plates in the cabin.
Joe

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
Joe, the chainplate weld is a geat idea!
Is the first picture of the cabin made before the oak was attached? The modification appears very strong.
My 26 has a small plate that the chain plate passes through. it is just attached with screws to the fiberglass. And it is sealed with some sort of caulk. It peeled off easily. This appears to be a difficult area to keep sealed.
I believe that i can reinforce the bulk head by having larger steel plates made and attaching this to both sides of the bulk head, similar idea to the oak plates you had made. Have you heard of that being done? I would like to see more pics of different ways to reinforce a bulkhead. Hopefully others will bring up ideas as well
keith

Status
Not open for further replies.