Thank you!

drew-

Mar 27, 2020
hunter 34 Southern Maryland
This is my first time posting here but I have been lurking in the shadows for years now, reading all of the sage wisdom and weeding out the naysayers. I am 34 years old and about 4 years ago I fell in love with sailing. I finally made the commitment 2 years ago to sell everything and live on a boat. (how many times have you heard that? hundreds probably) I spent a year researching what boat was best for me and landed on a mid 80’s Hunter. I looked into a 30 and 31 but noticed the 34 had noticeably more space and were easy to find. I fell in love with the first one I looked at and after looking at another 34 in bad condition I went back to purchase her. I worked the guy from $9500 to $7300 and we made a deal. I know buying the first boat you look at is not recommended but I am not upset with the purchase.
I knew full well this was going to be a project that would tax me mentally and physically but I am the kind of person who enjoys doing all my own work on my cars and motorcycles. I even built my own house so this was something I know I could do. The hull itself is in great shape. I borrowed a moisture meter before purchase and only found 2 small spots with water in the deck. She basically needed everything done other than the engine, sails and hull but in my opinion had “good bones”. They say that the most expensive boats are free or cheap in the long run, but If I waited until I can spend 50 grand to buy a decent boat I would never make it off my computer at my desk. I thought “I must go and I must go soon” and this was a good option for a “coastal cruiser” wannabe like myself.
Once I got the financing in order, I purchased her at a marina near Baltimore and sailed her 50ish miles home to southern Maryland with a close friend. We made 8.5 knots on the head sail alone (155 genoa) but I left the engine running the whole time because I was a nervous wreck. Once in her slip I got to work.

It is well known and documented that the 34 has a compression post issue so I pulled the mast and got to work. She had a noticeable crack in the transverse beam and I had no doubt it needed to be done. I replaced the rotten wood with 2” square stainless with ¼ thickness and welded 5/8 stainless plates to the top and bottom that I cut at work on an industrial band saw. (I know its overkill but I am glad that its too strong to fail EVER). After that was resolved I got to work replacing the floor that was rotten around the post. This is all done on a budget so it doesn’t match exactly. I am working on balancing enjoying the boat with friends and getting everything up to a certain level of appearance.

By the end of the summer of 2019 I had noticed that one of thru hulls was dripping slightly from the ball valve that was incorrectly installed directly with no flange. So I had her hauled and got to work on replacements from groco. This was costly to say the least but I sure do sleep better knowing that they are all correct. I also used this time to replace all the stinky waste hoses and put in a new jabsco head. Again, more money! But this is what I signed up for.
After putting on some bottom paint and replacing the anodes I had her put back in the water and got started with all new pex plumbing from home depot. Fortunately that went extremely well and I surely do enjoy having running water. What a treat!

I just finished am major overhaul of the electrical panel. I cant believe how poorly this was done from the factory but it did last over 30 years with no fires! None of the wires were tinned, most of the connectors were the fork style, often the connectors had 4 wires going into them and the AC side was so tight that I couldn’t pull the panel down without shifting the thing to the left putting stress on the DC side. I added bus bars, ring terminals and terminal strips with tinned wires. Looks nicer and all neatly on a “back plane” painted white. Not super expensive and totally worth it.
I wanted to say a big thank you to the 34 owners who paved the way for me (Klaude and Claude, Auger etc.) You guys know who you are! You took pictures and made comments that were so valuable to me and other owners. Also, to the other posters who encourage people cautiously to follow their dreams.
I fully intend to cast off this fall on the ICW and head for Florida and to the Bahamas. I am fully aware that this is going to be hard. I am going to break things and need to stop to fix them. I am aware that the weather wont always be in my favor and that I am probably going to lose my mind with doubt and fear but this is going to stretch me to new levels. I am ready for a change and I chose to make life harder because I love this lifestyle and I believe its worth it.

I still have tons of projects that need to be done, and things like anchor chain to purchase to be ready for cruising full time. The standing rigging might be as old as the boat, I can’t be sure. No broken strands but I won’t be taking any chances and will do it with the rig up one at a time starting with the head stay. Wouldn’t want to have the mast come down in a blow. I wish I had the money to do it when the mast was down but it’s too late now.

Again, I am grateful for the network of experienced cruisers and the knowledge they bestow on these platforms. It helped make my dream a reality.

-Drew

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
NICE!:thumbup:

Welcome to SBO. I'm guessing you are the envy of many members here, including myself.

Good sailing.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on your first post Drew. It was a good one.
Keep posting as you get out and enjoy your boat. The decision to replace 30 year old rigging is a good one even if it looks “ok”.

Be safe. Fair winds.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Welcome aboard Drew and congrats on your new boat and lifestyle. As you say, much sage advice here. Come frequently, pose questions, give your opinions and share your experiences.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Welcome aboard and have a lot of fun with your new boat! They can bring a lot of joy and sense of accomplishment (whether for maintaining the boat or learning how to sail her).

And I hope all you bearded dudes have a sun tan in the next photos :yikes:

Have a blast!

Greg

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Drew,
Welcome aboard , hope to see more post
Good luck with your h34 great boat, hope you have great times on it.
I've owned mine sence its conception on the assembly line 1983
Still find myself tinkering with things. Best advise I can give you is
Try to do as much work on her as you can. Very satisfying doing it yourself. Plus knowing anything you do will most likely be done better then any yard staff.
You apear to be very handy. Big plus

Look forward to more of your post.
Again congrats and welcome aboard⛵⛵⛵⛵

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Drew,

To be honest, I'd avoided opening this thread initially as these "Thank You" threads tend to be a long list of questions that really need to just be answered with "Go try"... But, you did try, and I'm really glad I opened this one! You sure do nice work! The Hunter 34 you've chosen is a good choice. Nice layout, nice size, not too big, not too small. I wish you the best of luck! Please check back in, with questions, advice, simple updates, whatever.... We'd love to hear about your travels.

Fall departure? From where? Chesapeake Bay?

dj

drew-

Mar 27, 2020
Drew,

To be honest, I'd avoided opening this thread initially as these "Thank You" threads tend to be a long list of questions that really need to just be answered with "Go try"... But, you did try, and I'm really glad I opened this one! You sure do nice work! The Hunter 34 you've chosen is a good choice. Nice layout, nice size, not too big, not too small. I wish you the best of luck! Please check back in, with questions, advice, simple updates, whatever.... We'd love to hear about your travels.

Fall departure? From where? Chesapeake Bay?

dj
Thanks for all the love everyone. I'm glad i decided to join because I have a lot to learn from you folks! its also fun to share the work and experiences leading up to my departure.

I am planning to leave in 6 months from now and head south on the Chesapeake from near Solomon's Island MD. In Charleston SC I have a special lady waiting who I am nuts about. She met me around when i bought the boat and is especially into the whole thing. She was raised in Hawaii and Charleston so she is in love with the water even more than I am! So i think i might stop there to fix whatever 10 things break and watch a few sunsets with my girl. From Charleston we will head southdown the ICW to either the keys or make the crossing to bimini. I'm open to things changing but that's the first goal. As we gain experience we will decide where next is.

Right now though i need to finish this cockpit floor core job i started this weekend. What an adventure being so itchy with so many busted knuckles. I was gentle enough that I think i can just re skin it with the piece cut out. Sacrificed my fingers by not just taking a pry bar to the skin and i think it'll pay off.
I met a local boat builder/repair man and it was such a blessing to meet someone so willing to teach. He even purchased a few things from a local supplier at cost for me, as well as selling me some plywood scraps and csm and thickener. It seems to me that the community of boaters and especially sailors attracts kind and generous people.
I'll post pictures when its finished but here it is now.
20200328_183628.jpg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I used to sail out of Rock Hall and then later out of Sparrows Point. The Chesapeake is a great place to sail, better with a shoal draft though.

You mention you are going to purchase anchor chain. I'd recommend getting hot dip galvanized. Way less expensive than stainless and arguably better. (this could start a flame war)... West System epoxy is a great source of epoxies (not cheap) and they have a hot line that is excellent! tel:1-866-937-8797. Talk to them if you need epoxies, then buy their product from a local merchant. The hardeners are expensive to ship due to regulations.

Best of luck - hope your lady sails with you, for a long time! LOL

dj

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
Man this just made me so happy. I especially admire your one step at a time so you can budget to fix things the right way approach (takes some discipline). Awesome job overall; you’re obviously putting some real love into that boat, and looks like she’s already giving it back.

Thanks for sharing the smiles, optimism and positivity, we all can use more of that right now.

drew-

Mar 27, 2020
Hello everyone! I hope you folks are all doing well while the world is dealing with our new normal.
I finally got up the courage to install the plywood in the cockpit today and i think it went very well. I used polyester resin with 406 thickener and put in some pieces of plywood that a local boatbuilder had sitting around. After it set up I went ahead and adhered the top skin back on a thinner mixture. What a stressful experience at first this was. I could feel the polyester thickening every minute, even though I mixed it exactly to the specifications on the back of the container. I was way more confident the second time mixing it when I applied the top skin but ended up using way more than was necessary and it oozed out all the way around when I applied the weights to hold it down. It was no issue though, I just got some old rags and some acetone and wiped it up as it spilled. I am happy to know that the entire area is saturated and should be water tight now though(at least as much as polyester can be).
The next step will be to sand the joint down, apply CSM followed by fairing with gelcoat on top to complete the project. I know polyester is inferior to epoxy in every way but with my budget and desire to use gelcoat in stead of paint it is the best option.
Stay well!
-Drew
20200405_181641.jpg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
@drew- I really like your approach to diving in and getting jobs done. I'm not sure what you mean by CSM, you know you have to bevel the edges the fiberglass the joint right? Sorry for pointing out the obvious if you have already accounted for this, it just wasn't apparent from your post.
And post the final pictures when your done :)

drew-

Mar 27, 2020
@DArcy - CSM is chopped strand mat. Once I bevel the cut joint I will be using CSM to join them back together "seamlessly" lol. I have plenty of resin and mat as well as gel coat because I am sure its going to take some learning to get it right. Its the first thing people will see when they get on the boat so I want it to look good.

On a side note I found an ARCH!!! I had my brother hold it in place for a picture. I only need to extend the front feet and it looks like it will fit. I am going to try to fit 300 watts of solar on it as well as use it for a dinghy davit. It has been surprisingly cold and windy so I havent finished the floor yet but I am gathering a bunch of other cruising gear in the mean time.

I purchased a handheld radio, Gerry cans, 90 feet of 5/16 anchor chain, 2000w generator and a water heater so far but I still need a few other things. I have been super blessed to not only have a job right now but also have the ability to work unlimited overtime. I have been working 55 - 60 + hours a week to feed the kitty while I can. I pray that others will get employment soon and back on their feet.

Only 5 months until I leave and the list is getting shorter. Wish me luck with the rigging, I am going to try it with the mast up in the next few months.
-Drew

Attachments

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Nice! Try not to have too much weight on the ends of the boat or high up (it can affect stability and seaworthiness). Go for a lightweight dinghy (single-floor RIB or slatted/inflatable floor) if a RIB has a flat interior floor it's double-hulled and too heavy.
A built up base for the arch might be an alternative to an extension, depending on your situation.

drew-

Mar 27, 2020
Out with the old and in with the new! Installed a new water heater this weekend. Its petty exciting to have hot water in the boat. I also got my gerry cans in yesterday. I'm pretty excited. I have a couple questions for the h34 owners and 3gm owners. The first questions is has anyone ever had nasty green coolant that even after fresh water rinsed for a whole day still looks bad? I purchased the diesel cavitation protection coolant and before i put it in i tried washing the brown tinted color out of the system with no success. Should i be worried that the PO had green in it? Is that dark brown color on the top of this green coolant my engine's metal? Im afraid of using a chemical flush for fear of it ending up in the new water heater. Also having trouble with air system after adding new coolant. Should i pull the thermostat housing? I didnt let it overheat bad but it wasn't moving coolant like it should and i did get the over temp alarm. Shut it down the second it came on.
The second question is what opening ports did you guys like best? I see that greys and one other brand were popular 10+ years ago. How are they holding up? Do i get straight or angled drains or sashes? How to measure as well would be nice if ya dont mind, or a list if you can remember what ya bought. I think they are all leaking and i think the cockpit one is letting water past that is dripping water on my bed under the steering pedestal, but im still working that out. Pretty annoying because i thought it was weeping past the coring but even after the core repair its still dripping the same place. Not much room to see up there and no hatches to look into. Might add one for future issues and wiring pulls. Thanks in advance.
Drew.

Attachments

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
As for cored decks and leaks, be advised that the water can come out anywhere - it travels through the space between the pieces of core. I had a leak near the port fwd salon window that didn't go away until I redid the sealant inside the spray hood. Another of the joys of fiberglass construction.