Teak seats and trim.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Hello all, I would like to strangle the designer that put these teak seats in place. Very poor design.
Mine were lifting so I used LePage PL Premium construction adhesive to hold them in place. They have never moved again.

Be careful using the black Boatlife stuff. You have to tape the white seat and the wood so it does not spread past the area you want to put it. Very messy and hard to handle, but it works well.

Jul 13, 2009
Parker Skipjack 37 Clearwater
There are lots of foam teak looking products that just glue down on FG. Dont buy a China made one- get the one thats made on east coast Florida ,they are only brand that lasts.

May 31, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Beaulieu-sur-Mer
The teak seating surfaces on Beneteau's are a continuing maintenance issue.
The panels are comprised of a marine plywood backing plate with teak strips stapled & glued to the plywood backing. The plywood backing is then glued to a recessed area on the seats. Finally, a black caulking compound, such as boatlife, is used to seal the spaces between the teak strips. Assuming that your teak can be refinished, scrub it, treat with two part teak cleaner, and sand lightly to a smooth surface.
Do not sand too aggresively or you will expose the staples that help to attach the strips to the backing plate. If the caulking has deteriorated severely and the teak is OK, use a utility knife to score the caulking and remove it with the aid of a router or dremmel tool, mask the teak and apply new caulking. Finally, seal with your favorite sealer or varnish.
I use Semco teak sealer. It is simple to apply. No need to mask; just apply with a narrow brush and wipe the overflow from the black caulking and gelcoat. Usually apply 3 coats each season. It seals & waterproofs and leaves a non slippery surface, which is important. It doesn't look as good as varnished surfaces or cetol coated surfaces; however, much easier in my opinion.
Certainly, covering the seats with sunbrella fabric would preserve the teak & sealers.
With regards to the missing teak on the swim platform, your options are to fabricate a teak replacement or order a replacement from Benteteau. Some of the new synthetic products mentioned by Sail SF would certainly be a long term (hopefully maintenance free) option also.
Do you have any pics of the teak post adding sealer?? Thanks

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
The 35s5 has individual teak 'slats' glued into seat top recesses. Ours were separating and split, quite an eyesore.

We ended up going with the 'peel and stick' foam/rubber material. So far its quite nice, clean look again, good nonskid and soft underfoot.
"Before" pic with cockpit sole pieces partially cleaned up

Attachments

Jun 20, 2021
Beneteau 343 Fort Lauderdale
The 35s5 has individual teak 'slats' glued into seat top recesses. Ours were separating and split, quite an eyesore.

We ended up going with the 'peel and stick' foam/rubber material. So far its quite nice, clean look again, good nonskid and soft underfoot.
"Before" pic with cockpit sole pieces partially cleaned up
major improvement.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Looks good! I'd like to put some on the companionway steps to the saloon. Where did you buy it?

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
-sigh- Amazon, I’m afraid. Never found a North American source til reading of it above. Big variety in colours and panels vs strips.

Nov 2, 2008
Beneteau 331 Chicago (DuSable)
I saw you post and felt the need to share my recent and exciting discovery.

I've been sailing for 30 plus years in Chicago and also have always enjoyed woodworking as a serious hobby which works well for Chicago winters.

The woodworking world has really taken to a German product called OSMO. It was developed for wood floors as an environmentally safe hardwood floor finish. It is made up of natural vegetable oils and natural waxes. Basically wipe on.

I tried it like many fellow woodworkers on a couple Walnut Irish Whiskey boxes I made and was just blown away.

I decided to see if they had anything good for outdoor furniture and decks. I explained I wanted to use on Teak.They came back with their outdoor version and I bought it last fall. I did a couple teak sample blocks and hung up for the winter in my yard in the sun to see how it weathers. Turned out GREAT. The wax naturally repeals the water. Additive blocks UV.

I struggled for 25 years with all the big names and got into the Cetol groove but wit basically is difficult to keep perfect. So I really was excited too tru the OSMO. About $60 per quart which REALLY goes so far. Just wipe on let sit then polish off.

All I did was use a 5" random orbital and started at 60 and finished at 180 grit Just to get the old Cetol off. Not crazy aggressive. worked my way through the grits. Never skip grits BTW.

Anyway It is still FANTASTIC and I love it. I will try to
IMG_0129.jpeg
IMG_0130.jpeg
IMG_0150.jpeg
IMG_0465.jpeg
get the photos U/L'd

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Terrific, thanks for the tip. Hey, and at only $60USD per litre!! No expense will be spared for my B331!

Nov 2, 2008
Beneteau 331 Chicago (DuSable)
Terrific, thanks for the tip. Hey, and at only $60USD per litre!! No expense will be spared for my B331!
I think the wood geek in me just am so happy with it so far.
Still holding well.
Anyway Halifax! Go 331!
My wife's mother is from Prince Edward Island and now that we are retired would love to go up to the beautiful area.