Tall Rig or Standard

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
I think post #10 is a simple, no-cost method accurate enough to tell which rig you have. You don’t need trigonometry or any complex device.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Probably a tall rig. When you get new sails, the sailmaker will tell you the measurements, if you don't want to do that yourself. If you don't know which decade your current sails were made in, you prob need new ones anyhow :). Happy new (to you) boat, and congratulations on owning the sweetest sailing boat in the world.

Oct 26, 2021
Catalina 36 mkii Havre de Grace, Maryland
Probably a tall rig. When you get new sails, the sailmaker will tell you the measurements, if you don't want to do that yourself. If you don't know which decade your current sails were made in, you prob need new ones anyhow :). Happy new (to you) boat, and congratulations on owning the sweetest sailing boat in the world.
It certainly is a sweet sailing boat! I went out Saturday on the Southwestern shore of Long Island. First official sail and it was soooo easy. I'm amazed how nice of a sailing vessel this is.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I think that the boom of a tall rig is 13 foot and the standard rig is only 12 foot - that's the E dimension.
If the C36 is like the C30, the boom length will be the same even though the foot length of the main is different. On the C30 the tall rig has E = 12'-0" and the standard has E = 11'-6" but the boom on all of them is 13' long.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
If the C36 is like the C30, the boom length will be the same even though the foot length of the main is different. On the C30 the tall rig has E = 12'-0" and the standard has E = 11'-6" but the boom on all of them is 13' long.
And who really knows what any prior sailmaker may have done, like making a longer footed sail for the standard rig.

Running a tape/string up on a halyard is the easy answer. (Although there's no problem that trig/geometry can't solve)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Find a guy with a drone and send it up. Altitude is displayed, and you have the advantage of a video inspection.

• Helpful
Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
OR another exotic idea would be hire a helicopter to get alongside the mast,rise up and down to get altitude..
OR take the easy cheap way, Call Catalina Yachts with the HIN as previously stated! :biggrin:

• Ha