Talk me into a Catalina

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
But I suppose a fully-enclosed cockpit is a pretty good alternative.
Come fall, we'd be motoring down the ICW early on a chilly morning, bundled up with all the clothing we owned, and our Canadian friends with their full enclosures would pass by, sipping their coffee, sitting in shirt sleeves.

Jul 3, 2018
Macgregor 26D Trailer Sailor
To Meriachee, Lol @ paperthin, I was just offering up my perspective. Didn’t mean to hit a sensitive spot.

To Jon Hansen, Lol , perhaps, at anchor, but how about we pull up anchor and and sail
around Cape Agulhas? I prefer a full keel with a protected prop and rudder. I’ve seen enough to know the difference.

Meriachee is a funny guy to say he’d argue against my opinion, and then offers up nothing factual, only his own opinion about me, not about the boats, but about me. How dare I have an opinion that one boat be better equipped for sea than another. Lol

So grasshopper, you see one’s anger to another’s perspective, validates the other against himself.

I like Catalinas, I just don’t think I’d buy one given the other options, unless of course someone could convince me that the Catalina was the better acquisition. So far that hasn’t happened.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
you are correct brad. you confirmed my point. if your sailing plans are to be sailing back and forth around cape agulhas then get an appropriate vessel. for the rest of us, get one of these nice modern designs and enjoy.

to the OP, catalinas are strong, safe, seakindly, vessels that have wonderful ergonomics and are pleasing to the eye. now that's an opinion.

my point is, you do not need a hummer to take lots of nice vacations all over america. in fact a hummer might be a poor choice

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
brad, my 42 foot alden was drawn by carl alberg while at the alden firm. full keel, attached rudder, protected prop, over built by hand with only the finest gear. my 42 footer rates 159 phrf, and we all know what that implies......... that a 42 foot catalina or 42 foot hunter or 42 ...... are going to be flying past me.

uhhh, well, maybe, cause i'm good :)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Meriachee is a funny guy to say he’d argue against my opinion, and then offers up nothing factual, only his own opinion about me, not about the boats, but about me. How dare I have an opinion that one boat be better equipped for sea than another. Lol
Yes grasshopper, there is some wisdom to be shared. I don't need to offer up the fact that I owned a MacGregor 26c for 15 years and will never forget that you could see daylight through the hull. Not everybody leads commentary with their resume. I am completely qualified to offer an opinion on the construction of the Mac, and don't need to share why. The Mac absolutely has a market niche. That said, I wouldn't compare it to any other vessel, that would be to the implied detriment of the other vessel, which was my point.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
my point is, you do not need a hummer to take lots of nice vacations all over america. in fact a hummer might be a poor choice
Indeed, but the 350 diesel (post International design) long wheelbase is a fine choice for touring, particularly when your puddle jumper little Catalina is on the back. :)

May 4, 2018
Catalina 25 SV Colorado
Thanks again for all the great comments, everyone. You're doing a great job of talking us into a Catalina! I have a question specifically for the Catalina 25 to 28 owners. The main reason we're considering moving to a bigger boat (eventually) is that when I retire in a few years we want to take some long-ish trips--up the Inside Passage, for example. So weeks at a time on the boat (two people). Would you consider your Catalina 25-28 big enough to be comfortable for that kind of cruising? If not, why not, and what would you consider adequate?
I have a Catalina 25. I don't think its big enough for weeks on a boat for two people. The reason I say that is there isn't really any room for the wet rain jackets, ,tools, space parts, spare oil, the extra change of clothes, extra water, etc... You say COMFORTABLE. I guess if you can camp for weeks in a small 3-man tent, then you would be ok in a Catalina 25. I need a bigger tent (10 man) for weeks of camping.

When you add up all the extra things needed for a few weeks, my Catalina 25 get cluttered and cramped very quickly. There just isn't a place to put the stuff and you have to pack it like a puzzle to get anything stowed or unstopped..real quickly it becomes a pain.

We have spent five days on the boat with two adult, two kids.. but that was in summer with no spare clothes, minimal bedding, refilling the water every two days and going to dinner in town at night. We were essentially tent camping with a roof over our head. It did slow everyone down in their pace, as you have to move around people and things...and that was ok.

I'm a sub sailor, I'm ok with tight spaces and know how to pack and make the most use of my space, but the Catalina 25 is just a little too small for weeks and weeks to be COMFORTABLE, and even worse if the weather is bad as your cabin is small. I think really the minimum is 30' and the Catalina 30 isn't much more.

I only own the Catalina 25 as mine came with a great trailer and in Colorado I have to be able to move the boat, 25' is about as big a boat that's easy to launch.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Examples of increased cost are: insurance, slip rate, bottom painting, property tax. Since there are more devices, there are more maintenance needed which is more time and money. In my case it is about $ 5000.00 per year. But time spent on the water is priceless. Go for it.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
So if I were to back to a 28' boat, it would be an O'day 28. Great beam and an outstanding gunk holing boat.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We had a Catalina 25 #5612-SK-pop top that we loved,with cover-so we were able to move around-two adults-But you are ranking up on the hero list for 4 people! if we were going back I would go back to a Catalina 28-never owned one but looks like the best of all worlds. Again sailors choice but I would not be a Mac owner-just do not care for them-personal opinion-in Many Ways, that is why there are lots of boats out there-choices. But Catalina Owners are Brand Loyal and there is a reason for that! our 310 costs us on Lake Erie seasonal dockage, power,water etc $1600 for 6 months-we have great dockage, close to everything and love our dockmates-we also have quiet time at our marina! But what joewhite said time on the water is priceless and that is what we worked for!