Taking on water

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
Still can't find where the water is coming in. I did notice a drip coming from the salt water pump. Turned off the seacock. I will see if this is the culprit this weekend. I'm having a heck of a time emptying the bilge. The pump makes noise but no suction.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
If you get your bilge pump working, go up on deck and listen for the evacuation stream. Many boats exhaust the bilge pump beneath the transom overhang. It is also likely to be directly to port or starboard of the deepest spot in your bilge, the shortest distance.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Limber holes are small holes in ribs or stringers that allow water to pass through to the deepest areas. They often get clogged, because they are small, and heeling can release some of the trapped water.

And here is a picture showing your through hull locations

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
That would be a good time to test the gusher emergency pump at the cockpit.
That's not working either. The pump has 4 bolts and only two have nuts on them. No room to put the other two on.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Buy a Rule bilge pump/float switch combo and run a circuit straight to your battery (fused) until you can get it figured out. 15 gallons is not a trivial amount of water considering you don't know where it is coming from.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
So let's review.
You have an ingress of liquid, of unknown origin, and composition.
This liquid amounts to about 15 gallons in an unspecified period, and it is being captured in a floating vessel of a fixed volume and should be considered "cumulative"
The "as designed" facilities for removal of the liquid are not operational, understood, and there appears to be a lack of stated expertise in getting them running.

So, it would be safe to assume that without the availability of a large scale bucket and some form of scoop, this issue will persist for the foreseeable future? It might be time to hire a boat mechanic. Maybe before this liquid gets into something that you can't bail out.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
So let's review.
You have an ingress of liquid, of unknown origin, and composition.
This liquid amounts to about 15 gallons in an unspecified period, and it is being captured in a floating vessel of a fixed volume and should be considered "cumulative"
The "as designed" facilities for removal of the liquid are not operational, understood, and there appears to be a lack of stated expertise in getting them running.

So, it would be safe to assume that without the availability of a large scale bucket and some form of scoop, this issue will persist for the foreseeable future? It might be time to hire a boat mechanic. Maybe before this liquid gets into something that you can't bail out.
Your obvously being too logical....

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Your obvously being too logical....
I had a dozen highly paid techs on the phone masquerading as a staff call going on at the time. You can see where my priorities are today. :)

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Taste it.
And hope it's not coming from the black water tank...:puke:

I will hand it to you, you seem very calm about a good bit of water in your bilge. I would be having a cow. My bilge stays dusty.

Recommend you get it dry. Also recommend you get a working automatic pump unless you're living on it full time. If you want to look for leaks while your pumps are getting sorted, use a wet vac, and sponges, then paper towels. Then get flashlights and any friends you can find and start looking. If you can't find any leaks at the dock, take your buddies sailing (stay near shore). Someone has to pilot the boat while everyone else looks for water. Once you get it dry, you can throw powder around (if necessary) in the bilge areas to help you trace it.

Hope you find it quickly, and hope it's not serious.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Still can't find where the water is coming in. I did notice a drip coming from the salt water pump. Turned off the seacock. I will see if this is the culprit this weekend. I'm having a heck of a time emptying the bilge. The pump makes noise but no suction.
Your pump has diaphragms ,you may need a kit ,I also installed a second pump rule and second hose to the back using a y into the locker drain thruhull

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Have you checked your volvo dripless on drive shaft ..Keel bolts tight?I've seen a beneteau taking on water heeled over as the keel opened up as bolts were not tight enough

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Our local feed store has a test kit for salinity, cheap old salts would just taste it. Hopefully you’ll find the source this year, if not, you’ll have plenty time to fix all your pumps when you haul for winter.