Taking on water

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
Hello,
I just purchased a 1990 Beneteau 35s5. It's taking on water when sailing on a port track. I could not see where the water is coming from. Any ideas?
Thetone

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Look on the port side and trace your thru hull fittings. One may be leaking.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I'd look at the thru hulls too, but on a port tack the starboard thru hulls will be the ones farther underwater than when level.

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
I'm thinking it may be coming in where the shroud comes thru the deck
The Surveyor did mention there was a boot missing.

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
Does anyone know where the bilge pump empties out on this boat?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I could not see where the water is coming from. Any ideas?
Oh common.. It is coming from out side the boat....

Are you sure it is not just finding it’s way through some of the limber holes because you are sailing and heeling. Do you have any water in your bilge?
How much water are you talking about?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
When I was younger sailing with my uncle on his boat we were on a port tack when all of a sudden someone noticed water in the cabin. I jumped down and opened up the bilge and it was full and the pump shorted out. I got the pump working and started bailing.... turns out my uncle remove a shower sump that had its own thru hull fitting on the starboard side just above the water line that had frozen open.... old gate valve type so he just stuck a wood bung into the hose and called it a day..... Until the bung came loose!

Search and you will find.

Good Luck!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
What exactly do you detect with these other than salt water?
You are testing for Ionized Sodium Chloride [NaCl]. Normally in Sea water. So if you are on fresh water, no use for a sailboat detection.

So if you find water in your boat, you can detect if it is from the sea.
___
Procedure...
1) Dip some sea water and put a strip in it. The strip will show you the NaCl concentration. [Control point]
2) Test the water in bilge. Compare result against #1.
Now if #2 is much lower, but has some NaCl, it could be a rain water leak washing some deck crystalized NaCl.

You can flush your bilge with fresh water, then measure later to see if you have a sea water leak.;)

I use it to make sure engine oil has no water intrusion. Do same procedure but test new oil in #1.

Repeat test with Antifreeze.:)

It works.

No water, no NaCl ionization.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
So if you are on fresh water, no use for a sailboat detection.
After another cup of coffee, you can use these strips on leak detection on fresh water sailing.
Example..
You suspect one of your fresh water tanks is leaking.
Take a salt shaker and dust around a water tank. Then check your bilge later.;)
Jim...