Tacking is a pain in the a$$!

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
This is the only post in this thread that makes much sense to me. I guess we'll see weinie again when he returns from his circumcision. On a starboard tack.
Circumcision? Oh.... That sounds painful. :(

Jan 6, 2010
Weinie,

I no longer sail a trafficked channel with dual sails. I also NEVER sail a broad reach
to a stern run especially with approaching boats from the rear.

There was another thread recently dealing with these same issues.
I like to keep it as simple as possible. No fuss,..............no problem.

CR

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
GGord ... I guess you haven't been around long enough to know how warped that little green frog really is. Only he (and a little too often, woodster) knows what he really means. I'm a little disturbed now that I know that I make sense to him.

Jan 6, 2010
Guys,

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE ORIGINAL GIST OF THIS THREAD?

It's one thing to go off on a tangent in a thread but unfortunately,
it's another thing to beat up on those that post. What about the original thread post?
Stay on track in the threads man. If you don't have something to constructively offer, don't offer anything.

You can always click on, "Ignore Thread" & go your merry way.

CR

Oct 26, 2008
C'mon Ron, it was pretty obvious that the thread started out as a joke! But I was half-serious, at first ... the thread went on a tangent when people assumed he was complaining about collision courses. I was wondering why kappy held his course while an unattended mobo was bearing down on him, getting to within 10' on a collision course no less! :yikes:. I think I would have steered clear long before that! I don't care what the ROW rules say!

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
But I thought the original post was about boozin' it up at the helm and cussing at bigger boats. I gotta lot to learn about sailin'. I'm outta here...

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Guys,

CR
Sorry for my poor choice of words. Scott your post does make sense to me. I try not to tack more than necessary just to keep from disturbing the crew. And I honestly don't get weinie's point unless he plans to sail all the way around the world without tacking. Maybe if I tried a martini I might understand.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Guys,

CR
Well, it seemed to be a tongue in check thread and with all the tacking the thread has done, we've shown the OP that tacking is not as difficult as it sounds. Certainly easier than circumnavigating to get back to your slip or waiting for major wind shift.

Oct 26, 2008
But I thought the original post was about boozin' it up at the helm and cussing at bigger boats. I gotta lot to learn about sailin'. I'm outta here...
You're a quick learner AND you have to stick around. As the frog said before ... Hotel California rules apply ... you can never leave!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
My understanding is that Magellan liked martinis. And didn't like tacking.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I was wondering why kappy held his course while an unattended mobo was bearing down on him, getting to within 10' on a collision course no less! :yikes:.
There were two other boats keeping pace with the guy that nearly creamed us. They altered course to avoid. Naturally, I didn't have much wind, therefore very little boat speed. By the time I figured out what the idiot wasn't doing, I had no time to get the engine started (takes me 30 secs to get the glow plugs warm enough). There was a next time the following day, and I tacked away early - but I had wind.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
This is the only post in this thread that makes much sense to me. I guess we'll see weinie again when he returns from his circumcision. On a starboard tack.
oy vey.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I've decided that from now on, I'm just going to sail on starboard tack. Now the only way I'm gonna spill my martini is if some sixty-five foot sport fishing boat gets all up in my face.
was the martini shaken or stirred

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Speaking of tacking... after about 20 years of winching a 135 all the time, we decided that since we have an easily-driven hull, why not change to a smaller jib and see if we are really much slower. We went with a full hoist 95% with three vertical battens that rolls in with no hassle.
Yeah, we are underpowered in winds under 6 or 8 true, but above that we still go 7 kt to weather all the time. When the TW is over 18 we put a reef in the main and still go just as fast. Off the wind we have hit and held onto double digits out in the ocean.
Sometimes I think that we sailors all suffer a bit from a heritage of thinking that a standard (!) head sail must be about about 150 or close to that.

Some boats, like ours, really do not need too much SA to move well. Perhaps yours might be a bit like that, too.
Tacking for us is now easy, and takes a few cranks on the winch.

No one answer fits all, but sometimes it's good to think a little bit outside the sail sizing "box"......
:)

Fair winds,
Loren

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Loren, to be fair by the time the wind pipes to 18kts a prudent sailor with a roller-furling 150 Genoa has already put a reef (or two) in his headsail. We start with a first reef at 14-15 and a second at 18kts. At 20kts we are flying a 95. Really pleased with the performance of the Neil Pryde foam-luff Genoas. If we had consistent tradewind conditions I would be all over a 95, but we have too many of those lazy high-pressure 7 kt days, and sailing beats motoring. Your point is well taken, far to common to see over-canvassed boats fighting their gear and stressing the crew. Or was that stressing their gear and fighting their crew..